New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The low down on our traditions

The low down on our traditions

St Andrews prides itself on tradition and, over the last 600 years, has certainly accumulated enough of it. Often cited as a key factor in a student’s decision to attend the University, traditions help unify our rather cosmopolitan student population and provide fun ways of celebrating the history...

Read more →
  • University traditions: How does St Andrews stack up?

University traditions: How does St Andrews stack up?

We all know that the University of St Andrews takes the cake for the best university traditions. Nothing can rival our beloved Raisin Weekend in its duration or its variety of events. Even May Dip outranks most university traditions: what other student body is so committed to tradition as to pull an...

Read more →
  • Academic family planning clinic

Academic family planning clinic

Adopting kids is a big responsibility. You need to love them, home them and clothe them, and teach them to be good, kind people. You can only hope that they take your dashing good looks, impeccable genes and faultless parenting advice as they fledge the nest, open their wings and fly off into the big,...

Read more →
  • Your official guide to Raisin

Your official guide to Raisin

Safety Please check out this Union resource: http://www.yourunion.net/support/stayingsafe/raisinweekend/ Additionally, please make sure you stick to the buddy system and always be sensible about how much you drink. Parents Purchase in advance This is the biggest weekend in our academic calendars,...

Read more →
  • Illustrations – Issue 185

Illustrations – Issue 185

// The Saint's food blog. Credit: Gabrielle Wolf The Night Bus returns for St Andrews staff and students. Credit: Renee Godyn Sallies bans drinking games in communal areas. Credit: Gabrielle Wolf TGAP fails to reduce academic misconduct. Credit: Milan Cater St Andrews climbs...

Read more →