New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Sandy’s Bar last Tuesday evening was a platform for the A Cappella realm of the St Andrew’s scene. Over the past week, RAG has given host to many a charitable event, with this being no different. The A Cappella Society’s ‘Sofa Sessions’ sought to provide a fun and enjoyable way of raising money...

Read more →
  • RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

St Andrews Got Talent kicked off with a pleasant surprise from one of the event’s sponsors, Barefoot Wines, having shown up with every student’s dream: a variety of free alcohol on offer. After being ushered to our seats, it was difficult not to be somewhat envious of the front tables and their...

Read more →
  • Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Studio 54, as a name synonymous with all the glitter and glamour of the late seventies, raised expectations with promises of Dionysian glory and rich excess. True to form, the GIG delivered on these promises with a night worthy of the legend it sought to emulate. Although placed on a Thursday night...

Read more →
  • Sinners review: a worrying culture

I have to start with a confession: as a fourth year I have not been to Sinners since at least my second year. For me, Sinners conjures up memories of ridiculous costumes, long queues for drinks, pushing and shoving and a sticky, sweaty dance floor. With the recent refurbishment of the Union and...

Read more →
  • Busting the myth of the Calais jungle

Busting the myth of the Calais jungle

Photo: Laura Craig Harvey Two blondes in a small blue car drive into the refugee camp. Is this a new blonde joke? Seeking out the high vis-jacketed volunteers, they enquire: “Excuse me. We have come to help the refugees. Where should we go?” This was indeed a joke. But one that is also a true story,...

Read more →