New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Graduation Ball: out with a bang!

Graduation Ball: out with a bang!

Photo: Ekin Arslan It’s hard to go wrong with a graduation ball. As long as the essential combination of a host of recent graduates and flowing alcohol is met, it is sure to result in a deluge of reminiscences, dancing and festivity. Having met this basic criteria, as well as adding on a flourish...

Read more →
  • Colours of the rainbow: summer smoothie recipes

Colours of the rainbow: summer smoothie recipes

Cool smoothie + hot day = the perfect summer combo.Photo: Wikimedia Commons It’s hot and you’re thirsty! Smoothies don’t need to be expensive treats you reward yourself with at Zest after a long day at the lib. Instead, they can be an amazing way to start the day with an energy boost, especially...

Read more →
  • Former St Andrews student admits to poisoning fellow student

Former St Andrews student admits to poisoning fellow student

A former student of the University of St Andrews has admitted to poisoning a fellow student, a court has heard. Alexander Hilton, now 24, mixed a bottle of red wine with methanol, a substance used in paint and anti-freeze, and encouraged fellow US national Robert Forbes to drink it before a student...

Read more →
  • Taking the long way: St Andrews graduates tackle the Pan American Highway

Taking the long way: St Andrews graduates tackle the Pan American Highway

This summer, Chris Lally and Danny Beech plan to cycle the Americas.Photo: Chris Lally and Danny Beech Next month recent St Andrews graduates Chris Lally and Danny Beech will attempt to set a new world record for the fastest time to cycle the length of the Pan American Highway. Their 22, 530 kilometre...

Read more →
  • Why I Stayed

Why I Stayed

Over the past four years, a lot of people have asked why I came to St Andrews.  The answer, as many students know, is typically the same.  And I can spit it out as easy as my name and birthday. In fact, the more telling question is the one which I’ve never been asked, and that is “why did you decide...

Read more →