New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Under Canvas does not disappoint!

Under Canvas does not disappoint!

Photo: Lorcan O’Brien Nothing quite signals the approaching summer like the end of classes. This is perhaps why Saturday was the ideal time for the festival-inspired Under Canvas. Clear skies and warmer temperatures, dissertations done, and cares alleviated; the ingredients for a good night were...

Read more →
  • St Andrews Charity Polo Tournament: the event of the year?

St Andrews Charity Polo Tournament: the event of the year?

Photo: Daniil Lapko The expression “getting a bang for one’s buck” could definitely not be more fitting. Bright sun and a fresh spring breeze greeted me as I stepped off the bus and onto the grassy lawn of Errol Park Estate for a day of food, friends and polo. The St Andrews Charity...

Read more →
  • North Haugh ball: A second annual success?

North Haugh ball: A second annual success?

A marquee on the North Haugh is hardly the most eponymous location in which to hold a ball, though the name ‘The Second Annual North Haugh Ball’ does rather restrict the choice of location. Having seen that tickets were sold out and that even those from outside Agnes Blackadder and Andrew Melville...

Read more →
  • Memorial to be held for Garissa attack

Memorial to be held for Garissa attack

A memorial is to be held by students at the University in order to remember the 147 people killed in a militant assault on a university in Garissa in North East Kenya. The event will begin at 11 am on Monday 27 April in St Salvator’s Quad. The event will consist of a minute’s silence, with students...

Read more →
  • 36 hours in Seattle

36 hours in Seattle

The flight to Seattle takes several more hours than the flight to New York, and I can’t promise that you will be rewarded with weather as sunny as California upon arrival. But while the city may lack convenience and you might not leave with a perfect suntan, Seattle’s unique culture and geography...

Read more →