New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The Springboks do it again

The Springboks do it again

As dusk settled over the Scottish scenery, the Springboks gathered at Balgove Larder to present us with an outstanding event. With the smell of freshly grilled meat on the breeze, the South African braai* spirit was definitely present. A variety of students milled about the Larder, enjoying the last...

Read more →
  • A guide to the Mercury Prize shortlist

A guide to the Mercury Prize shortlist

Photo: inquirelive Blackstar by David Bowie: Blackstar was unveiled just two days before the ever-innovative Bowie succumbed to his fight with liver cancer. Creepy yet tragic, the experimental jazz instrumentation beneath an enfeebled yet unceasingly familiar voice offers a spirited goodbye and examination...

Read more →
  • Women’s rugby set to take centre stage at Murrayfield

Women’s rugby set to take centre stage at Murrayfield

Photo Credit: Saints Rugby The history of the Varsity is one rich in both victory and defeat. The oldest student rugby match in the world, the sporting fixture has settled nicely into Murrayfield, where the Edinburgh and St Andrews teams will be supported by a crowd 10,000 students strong. Although the...

Read more →
  • A look at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival

A look at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival

The 73rd Venice International Film Festival, or the “International Exhibition of Cinematographic Art of the Venice Biennale,” has already come to an end. This year the main jury was led by English director Sam Mendes, together with a series of relatively famous international names such as Laurie...

Read more →
  • Association investigation confirms Conservative Society “election fraud”

Association investigation confirms Conservative Society “election fraud”

Photo: Michael Green, the society committee that was elected at the AGM in question An investigation conducted by the Students Association has found that allegations of “election fraud” against the St Andrews Conservative and Unionist Society committee, first revealed in a report by The Saint earlier...

Read more →