New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Tea House brews up a cracking finale

Tea House brews up a cracking finale

The first week of revision (collectively accepted as a seven day holiday before actual revision begins) has been host to several Last Big Nights. The last Ma Bells Tuesday, the last Wednesday sports socials, and the last Thursday, a night that typically lacks any note-worthy event. This past week,...

Read more →
  • Gaudie 2016: the Kate Kennedy Club lights the way to May Dip

Gaudie 2016: the Kate Kennedy Club lights the way to May Dip

Photo: Tilted Frame Photography As familiar a name to St Andrews as Patrick Hamilton, John Honey is immortalised in the form of a stained glass window in St Salvator’s Chapel, the prestigious John Honey Award, and the Gaudie. Held each year on the final evening of April, the Gaudie deviates from...

Read more →
  • The anorexia paradox

The anorexia paradox

Anorexia nervosa is defined by Merriam-Webster’s dictionary as “a serious physical and emotional illness in which an abnormal fear of being fat leads to very poor eating habits and dangerous weight loss.” When you type the term “anorexia” into Google, you are faced with...

Read more →
  • Battle of the Bands: bringing live music to St Andrews

Battle of the Bands: bringing live music to St Andrews

On the night of May Dip, the best house parties don’t begin until 2am. With this in mind, the Union will be offering a pre-party in the form of Battle of the Bands, the first iteration of what is anticipated to become a yearly event. Billed as the largest live music event in St Andrews, the Battle...

Read more →
  • Has the Bubble burst?

Has the Bubble burst?

Photo: The Saint The spread of media has been seen by some to have destroyed geographical boundaries, meaning that we are never disconnected from what is happening around us. The ready availability of electronic devices in our society means that we have instant access to scenes from all over the world,...

Read more →