New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The eternal freshers’ dilemma: to study or to socialise?

The eternal freshers’ dilemma: to study or to socialise?

I’ve barely studied for two years and don’t regret a thing I am about to embark on my third year at St Andrews. I do so with a certain degree of trepidation, in the knowledge that every piece of writing I submit will be scrutinised, measured and ultimately added together to form those two all-important...

Read more →
  • The alternative guide to St Andrews

The alternative guide to St Andrews

So you’ve been to Cathedral and the Ruins and you’ve had your picnics on the beach in the Botanic Gardens. But what next? Here’s a list of seven lesser- known sights and attractions which you must visit during your time in St Andrews. 1. Print and Design Office Known as one of the most difficult...

Read more →
  • Misty weather means CROSSWALK misses the mark

Misty weather means CROSSWALK misses the mark

Who doesn’t love an event at Kinkell? Or better yet, day drinking? It appears that the Fashion Shows have been colluding as the year has started off with not one, but two day drinking ‘festivals’ to kick off the Fashion season. Riding on the coat tails of FS’s launch event Starfields, DONT WALK’s newest...

Read more →
  • R&A vote to allow women membership

R&A vote to allow women membership

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is to admit women members it was announced today, following a vote by members. 85 per cent voted in favour of admitting women. 2,400 members of the club were asked to vote by postal ballot on whether this ancient institution should allow women members. 75...

Read more →
  • To the byline

To the byline

Hello and welcome to the 184th edition of The Saint; the first of this academic year and the first in my tenure as editor of this section. Before starting, I’d like to put on the record my excitement for the job and the hope that I can continue, and even improve upon, the good work of my predecessor...

Read more →