New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Blackhorn gains licencse to sell acohol

Blackhorn gains licencse to sell acohol

Blackhorn, a burger bar on St Andrews’ Church Street, now has a license to sell alcohol in spite of opposition from local residents. The decision, made by the Fife licensing board, will also allow the restaurant to stay open later. The board made the decision despite the nine public complaints on issues...

Read more →
  • Refreshers 2015 Preview

Refreshers 2015 Preview

Crawling out from under our duvets where we’ve hidden catching up on Netflix and sleep, we savor one last non-microwavable meal before bundling up in scarves and fluffy coats to return once more to the Bubble. Though the beginning of Week 1 means the return of late nights and library visits, it also...

Read more →
  • Into the Woods – Reviewed

Into the Woods – Reviewed

Into the Woods is a strange Witch’s concoction – a rarity from its inception, its old-school big-studio musical style places it in a genre from a bygone era. The plot is uneven, its emotional tones overlap too quickly, and its narrative intersections are too often painfully contrived. It might...

Read more →
  • Bard from Aikman’s: Richard Osmond Reviewed

Bard from Aikman’s: Richard Osmond Reviewed

Variant Air, Richard Osmond, HappenStance, 2014, £4.00 Shill, Richard Osmond, HappenStance, 2014, £4.00 This’ll make you feel bad: Richard Osmond launched his own poetry press in 2012, while studying at St Andrews. Many of us struggle to both read and drink in a single day. Don’t you hate over-achievers? Luckily,...

Read more →
  • Cricket World Cup 2015 team preview: India

Cricket World Cup 2015 team preview: India

The Cricket World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world, or so the Indians believe. Rio de Janeiro may not be in agreement.  Yet due to the sheer prevalence of cricket in India, it is only fair that this World Cup Preview starts in India: the engine room driving cricket through the 21st century. India...

Read more →