New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Empty beds in halls may indicate progress in accommodation level

Empty beds in halls may indicate progress in accommodation level

Despite worries about accommodation amongst students in St Andrews, the University has revealed that there are 155 vacant beds in University halls of residence. Across the private sector, in Ayton House and East Shore halls of residences, there are a further 207 beds available. Of the 169 beds which...

Read more →
  • Cult film of the week: Spaceballs

Cult film of the week: Spaceballs

With the premiere of The Force Awakens just three weeks away, it seems only fitting to make this week’s cult film a tribute to Star Wars. But though the franchise has a rabid fanbase of its own—some of whom even dress up as Stormtroopers in their spare time, just for the fun of it—Star Wars has...

Read more →
  • Loving and losing: in fond memory of Patch Reynolds

It’s taken me a while to be able to write this. The tears have gotten in the way. But, I suppose that’s a normal reaction after losing someone. Death is hard to talk about. It’s hard to deal with. It’s even harder to actually comprehend. And I have to admit, I haven’t accomplished much of...

Read more →
  • University acquires Virginia Woolf letters

University acquires Virginia Woolf letters

A large collection of Virginia Woolf’s personal letters has been obtained by the University. The letters allow an exclusive insight into the author’s life and work and include two previously unseen photographs of the writer. Brownlee Kirkpatrick, who be- came the official bibliographer for Virginia...

Read more →
  • Welly Ball: did we have a welly-good time?

Welly Ball: did we have a welly-good time?

Welly Ball has come and gone again: a truly fantastic evening in spite of its flaws that has likely left most attendees nursing their hangovers. There is no doubt that the weather was co-operating with the night’s theme, with wellies becoming not only a part of the dress code, but a necessity as...

Read more →