New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• University fears accommodation deficit next year

University fears accommodation deficit next year

The University has offered to release returning students with places in halls of residence from their accommodation contracts because of concerns about the availability of accommodation for first year students. An email sent to all returning students who had received a place in a hall said: “We...

Read more →
  • TEDx: prepare to be inspired

TEDx: prepare to be inspired

Tamar Ziff gets the lowdown from event organisers Yousra Elbagir and Farah Fazalbhoy on the much anticipated tEDx Conference 2014, as it returns to the Bubble for the third year running . The Saint: When did you guys first get involved with the organisation of TEDx? Yousra Elbagir: We were both...

Read more →
  • ‘Unacceptable’: University may have broken rules by retaining governor

‘Unacceptable’: University may have broken rules by retaining governor

The University could be in breach of a Scottish government policy by deciding to keep on its senior governor after his term limit expired. The Scottish Code of Good Higher Education Governance states that “the reappointment of a chair beyond two terms of four years, or the equivalent, should be...

Read more →
  • A week in fast food

A week in fast food

With exams on the horizon and notes sprawled across every flat surface in sight, the panic has begun to set in and the demand for food is approaching peak levels. Although you’ve just finished lunch and have re-opened your textbook, you already have a craving for something else. Whether it is time...

Read more →
  • Editorial is dead, long live…

Editorial is dead, long live…

Probably mercifully for some, I am approaching the end of my time at St Andrews and thus the end of my time with student journalism. I couldn’t leave without reviewing just one more thing… complete with every cardinal sin, the mere mention of which should send all editors into shivers. From...

Read more →