New gates installed at St Andrews harbour

June 28, 2013 4:18 pm 2 comments

Img_File_2

Work has begun to install new gates at St Andrews harbour after the previous set were swept from their hinges during a period of severe weather in autumn 2012.

The replacement gates were commissioned by the St Andrews Harbour Trust after a campaign raised in excess of £100k to fund the project. The Trust received donations from individuals, local charitable trusts and a government grant.

It is not known when exactly the gates at the harbour were originaly installed but the first mention of their use is in a book of historical remarks on the City of St Andrews by William Douglass in 1728. They have been replaced on a number of occasions since that date, however. The date of the installation of the damaged gates is unknown but they were transferred from a site on the Caledonian Canal.

The design of the new gates is very similar to the previous set, in keeping with the historic environment. The only major difference is that they are made of Greenheart timber rather than Douglas fir, as Greenheart timber is resistant to wet rot and is unaffected by sun and salt-water.

During their manufacture, existing fittings from the original gates were reused to reduce cost, carry forward a historical perspective and remain visually appealing in the setting of the harbour.

The new gate leaves and slucies are now hydraulically operated, which will be particularly beneficial for less physically able users of the harbour.

It is expected that the installation will be completed by early to mid-July.

Trust Chairman Andrew Lumsden added: “During this time vessel and pedestrian movements will be largely unaffected, however, St Andrews Harbour Trust would like to apologise for any regrettable, but unavoidable, inconvenience experienced and thank residents and visitors alike for their patience in any disruption of access to the harbour bridge and walkway.”

2 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Your Union Elections: Hustings 2/3/15 LIVE NOW

Your Union Elections: Hustings 2/3/15 LIVE NOW

Read more →
  • Mingling in Madrid

Mingling in Madrid

Let’s, for one moment, pretend that I didn’t spend Valentine’s Day with friends, sober as a judge, watching a Don Quixote-style Carnival. Let’s just imagine. Say, for example, that I had a delightful, candlelit dinner in some exceptionally swanky restaurant. (To prove exactly how delightfully...

Read more →
  • Nominations open for Medicine school president

Nominations open for Medicine school president

Nominations opened at 9am this morning (Monday 2 March) for the position of Medicine school president. They will close 6pm Friday 6 March, with voting to take place the following week. Due to a lack of nominations for the French, German and Italian Modern Language convenor positions, a by-election for...

Read more →
  • The Last Five Years: Review

The Last Five Years: Review

**** Dir. Tommy Rowe, produced by Kate Kitchens, starring Emma Seckel and Struan Erlenborn The cast of The Last Five Years had a largely unenviable task in bringing this show to the stage. Sure, this is the first musical Just So has put on in the Byre since the glamorously dishevelled ‘Hair’ in 2012....

Read more →
  • Egregore Review

Egregore Review

*** Cliché as it may be, we do live in an era where the answer to any question can be uncovered in a matter of seconds, where we are taught far more to unravel than admire. It is on this premise that Egregore, the brainchild of student writer Alicia Schultz finds its highest level of poignancy in its...

Read more →