Dr Oliver Smith Photo: University of St Andrews
Dr Oliver Smith
Photo: University of St Andrews

A body has been found in the Bla Bheinn area of the Cullins on the Isle of Skye. A St Andrews lecturer, Dr Oliver Smith, went missing on the Isle almost two months ago.

Dr Smith, a lecturer in Russian at the University, was last seen as he set off for a walk in the Cullins on April 6, as reported by The Saint. According to police, the 33-year-old planned to climb the Blaven peak then descend and walk via Loch Coruisk and the coastal path to Elgol.

He was visiting Skye with his partner Shelly and young daughter. The alarm was raised when he failed to return their holiday accommodation later that day.

Despite extensive searches in the days following his disappearance involving Kintail and the Skye mountain rescue teams, Sarda (the Search and Rescue Dog Association), and the coastguard helicopter Rescue 100, teams could not find any trace of Dr Smith and the search was scaled back.

Police have now confirmed that a body has been found in the area but it has not yet been formally identified.

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: “Police Scotland can confirm that following a search, the body of a male was recovered from the area of Blàbheinn during the afternoon of Sunday 2 June.

“The family of missing person Oliver Smith have been informed of this development.

“Arrangements are being made for a formal identification.”