From left to right: James, Declan, Pavlo, Martin, Peter, Robert, Ralf and Freddie Photo: Freddie Fforde
From left to right: James, Declan, Pavlo, Martin, Peter, Robert, Ralf and Freddie
Photo: Freddie Fforde

St Andrews students and Students’ Association President Freddie Fforde have completed the Edinburgh Marathon to raise money for the Students’ Association Your600th Bursary Fund.

The group was made up of James Kenneally, Declan Ghee, Pavlo Bazilinskyy, Martin Quinn, Peter Worsley, Robert Barbour, Ralf Sobottka and Freddie Fforde.

After five months of intensive training, all eight runners completed over 26 miles in times ranging between four and five hours, despite only one of them having participated in a marathon before.

They have raised almost £4,000 for the Your600th bursary, which is a new scholarship raised by students to celebrate the 600th anniversary of the University. It will contribute towards the accommodation costs for a students who would otherwise be unable to afford to study at St Andrews.

It is hoped that students and supporters will continue to donate to the marathon fund to help them reach their target of £5,600.

Fforde commented: “This whole challenge has been excruciatingly painful and consistent hard work over five months from eight different students. Collectively, we’ve run 2,000 miles and it’s all been in aid of the new endowed Students’ Association Bursary Fund.

“I’m delighted that as a result of this and other fundraising, there will be students who have an accommodation bursary to support the living costs of a St Andrews education.

It’s been a real eye-opener for me this year to see the hard work of the student Ambassadors and Widening Participation team. This has inspired us to raise the money for those who need it most.”

To donate to the marathon runners visit their JustGiving page.

Click here for more information on the Students’ Association Bursary.