University signs Principles of Responsible Investment

April 30, 2013 5:39 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has signed up to the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.

The Students’ Association have been encouraging the University to invest its endowment responsibly for over a decade. Student campaigning on the issue began with a referendum on ethical investment in 2003, and most recently with the implementation of the sustainable investment policy in 2007. Student representatives on University Court have been involved with investment decisions ever since. Most recently, the Microfinance Society and Oikos St Andrew have been working to introduce the PRI initiative.

The United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Initiative is an international network of investors working together to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. Its goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. In implementing the Principles, signatories contribute to the development of a more sustainable global financial system.

The University is following in the footsteps of over 1,000 companies and $30 trillion of assets from major worldwide funds, representing a growing social conscience to investing responsibly.

The CEO of the PRI, James Gifford, will visit St Andrews on Friday 3 May to witness the signing with the Principal of the University, Professor Louise Richardson. He will then deliver a seminar, followed by a wine reception and a chance for students to ask questions to an assembled panel, including investment academics.The launch event is hosted by the Students’ Association, Management Society, Investment Society and the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance.

Students’ Association President, Freddie Fforde, commented: “The PRI represents the best in student led campaigning for responsible investment at the University of St Andrews. The Students’ Association began campaigning for an Ethical Investment policy at St Andrews ten years ago and in a referendum of May 2003, 91% of the 1,200 students voting elected to support an ethical investment campaign.

Students have been working closely with the University ever since to develop a Sustainable Investment Policy, implemented in 2007. I am proud that our university has built on this progress by signing up to UNPRI and ensuring that its investment strategy sends a proud message to students at St Andrews and elsewhere.”

• This article was updated at 14:15 on 2 May 2013 to reflect corrected information.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Louise Richardson to become vice chancellor of Oxford

Louise Richardson to become vice chancellor of Oxford

Louise Richardson is to step down from her position as principal and vice-chancellor of the University of St Andrews. Professor Richardson has been offered, and has accepted the position of vice-chancellor of Oxford University. The appointment will take effect from 1 January 2016. Professor Richardson...

Read more →
  • St Andrews ranked as the top university in Scotland

St Andrews ranked as the top university in Scotland

The University of St Andrews has been ranked as the top university in Scotland, and third best in the United Kingdom after Oxford and Cambridge, according to a new higher education league table released today (Tuesday 26 May). The Guardian University Guide 2016 also places St Andrews as the only Scottish...

Read more →
  • Anthropology paper mistakenly released before the exam

Anthropology paper mistakenly released before the exam

The exam paper for a final year social anthropology module was accidentally released prior to the exam. When one student sat down to take their exam last Thursday (14 May), they were surprised to find a copy of the paper for another module (SA4005 “West Indies and the Black Atlantic”) mistakenly...

Read more →
  • The best of times?

The best of times?

Credit: Sarah Dickins It was the best of times, it was the best of times: and quite a lot of them too, I’ve been living in Madrid for 7 months and 22 days. Or 33 weeks and 3 days. Or 234 days, whichever sounds most impressive. In an effort to lessen the trauma of moving away, here’s a (totally self-promotional...

Read more →
  • University backs calls for rethink of the status of international students

University backs calls for rethink of the status of international students

The University of St Andrews has backed calls for the UK government to reassess the status of international students. Currently international students are classified as migrants, while the University has said this should be changed so that they are classified as temporary visitors instead. The call from...

Read more →