University signs Principles of Responsible Investment

April 30, 2013 5:39 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has signed up to the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.

The Students’ Association have been encouraging the University to invest its endowment responsibly for over a decade. Student campaigning on the issue began with a referendum on ethical investment in 2003, and most recently with the implementation of the sustainable investment policy in 2007. Student representatives on University Court have been involved with investment decisions ever since. Most recently, the Microfinance Society and Oikos St Andrew have been working to introduce the PRI initiative.

The United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Initiative is an international network of investors working together to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. Its goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. In implementing the Principles, signatories contribute to the development of a more sustainable global financial system.

The University is following in the footsteps of over 1,000 companies and $30 trillion of assets from major worldwide funds, representing a growing social conscience to investing responsibly.

The CEO of the PRI, James Gifford, will visit St Andrews on Friday 3 May to witness the signing with the Principal of the University, Professor Louise Richardson. He will then deliver a seminar, followed by a wine reception and a chance for students to ask questions to an assembled panel, including investment academics.The launch event is hosted by the Students’ Association, Management Society, Investment Society and the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance.

Students’ Association President, Freddie Fforde, commented: “The PRI represents the best in student led campaigning for responsible investment at the University of St Andrews. The Students’ Association began campaigning for an Ethical Investment policy at St Andrews ten years ago and in a referendum of May 2003, 91% of the 1,200 students voting elected to support an ethical investment campaign.

Students have been working closely with the University ever since to develop a Sustainable Investment Policy, implemented in 2007. I am proud that our university has built on this progress by signing up to UNPRI and ensuring that its investment strategy sends a proud message to students at St Andrews and elsewhere.”

• This article was updated at 14:15 on 2 May 2013 to reflect corrected information.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Hamlet: a striking and profound portrayal

Hamlet: a striking and profound portrayal

**** It is extremely difficult to live up to the hype of a Shakespeare play – that is one thing to be said for the cast and crew of this week’s Nordic Noir version of Hamlet. I had my reservations about the play: there is beauty in bringing it back to basics and keeping traditional plays traditional,...

Read more →
  • Members of the University Court are “appalled” by student housing

Members of the University Court are “appalled” by student housing

A mice infestation and a collapsed roof were among the terrible conditions witnessed by members of the University Court during a tour of sub-standard private student housing last week. Pat Mathewson, president of the Students’ Association, led the tour in conjunction with the Students’ Association...

Read more →
  • Academic alert: Higher education’s gender gap

Academic alert: Higher education’s gender gap

Illustration: Gabrielle Wolf   According to data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency, 80 per cent of professors at UK universities are men. This is despite the facts that the majority of university students are women and that women make up 45 per cent of the UK academic workforce. Where...

Read more →
  • May Ball ticket sales: an intrepid buyer’s diary

May Ball ticket sales: an intrepid buyer’s diary

One of the most anticipated events of the year, May Ball, starts way before the night in question. It starts with the queuing for May Ball tickets, an event in itself, which, even then, starts before the morning it advertises. It begins with friends gathered in a flat, or more likely in a Facebook chat,...

Read more →
  • Typhoons triumphant in the Jonny Wookey memorial match

Typhoons triumphant in the Jonny Wookey memorial match

Photo: Craig Doyle Invasion of personal space is never a nice experience, and this was no exception to those piling onto buses out-side the Union at around 6 pm on the evening of Tuesday the 7th of April. But it was for all a worthy cause, as these buses were travelling to the Dundee Ice Arena for the...

Read more →