University signs Principles of Responsible Investment

April 30, 2013 5:39 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has signed up to the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.

The Students’ Association have been encouraging the University to invest its endowment responsibly for over a decade. Student campaigning on the issue began with a referendum on ethical investment in 2003, and most recently with the implementation of the sustainable investment policy in 2007. Student representatives on University Court have been involved with investment decisions ever since. Most recently, the Microfinance Society and Oikos St Andrew have been working to introduce the PRI initiative.

The United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Initiative is an international network of investors working together to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. Its goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. In implementing the Principles, signatories contribute to the development of a more sustainable global financial system.

The University is following in the footsteps of over 1,000 companies and $30 trillion of assets from major worldwide funds, representing a growing social conscience to investing responsibly.

The CEO of the PRI, James Gifford, will visit St Andrews on Friday 3 May to witness the signing with the Principal of the University, Professor Louise Richardson. He will then deliver a seminar, followed by a wine reception and a chance for students to ask questions to an assembled panel, including investment academics.The launch event is hosted by the Students’ Association, Management Society, Investment Society and the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance.

Students’ Association President, Freddie Fforde, commented: “The PRI represents the best in student led campaigning for responsible investment at the University of St Andrews. The Students’ Association began campaigning for an Ethical Investment policy at St Andrews ten years ago and in a referendum of May 2003, 91% of the 1,200 students voting elected to support an ethical investment campaign.

Students have been working closely with the University ever since to develop a Sustainable Investment Policy, implemented in 2007. I am proud that our university has built on this progress by signing up to UNPRI and ensuring that its investment strategy sends a proud message to students at St Andrews and elsewhere.”

• This article was updated at 14:15 on 2 May 2013 to reflect corrected information.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Joining the ranks of the disengaged youth

Joining the ranks of the disengaged youth

My own mother has never once revealed to me what she has voted for. Never once said to me how she has voted in any council, general or European election. The Scottish referendum is no exception: my mum just won’t budge on this policy. And today I’ve decided to follow her lead. As a small child, questioning...

Read more →
  • The Saint’s Playlist

The Saint’s Playlist

As Freshers’ Week ends for another year and you bask in the afterglow of 10 nights out in a row, here are some tracks to wake you up and calm you down. Snagging a track of off U2’s new- est album released just a few days ago and juicing up the pain with some blues, this playlist will help you...

Read more →
  • Vote does nothing to reform mysoginistic R&A

Vote does nothing to reform mysoginistic R&A

In a week of near-unparalleled importance in Scotland’s democratic story, one historically pivotal referendum has slipped under the radar. Whilst 4.3 million Scots pondered whether their goals and values are better represented by staying in the Union, or by going it alone, 2,400 members of an elite...

Read more →
  • Pret A Manger coming to St Andrews

Pret A Manger coming to St Andrews

Pret A Manger has recently announced that the newest addition to its collection of sandwich shops will be in St Andrews. Ambitious expansion plans have seen the 352-strong chain move into Asia and North America over the past few years as it continues to capitalise on its strong financial performance. On...

Read more →
  • A row for charity

A row for charity

Thursday 12 to Friday 13 September saw the St Andrews Boat Club go the extra mile, or to be precise, the extra 330, 508 kilometres, in the name of charity. Starting at noon on the Thursday of Freshers’ Week the Boat Club ‘erged’, the technical term for rowing on a mechanical machine, for 24 hours...

Read more →