University signs Principles of Responsible Investment

April 30, 2013 5:39 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has signed up to the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.

The Students’ Association have been encouraging the University to invest its endowment responsibly for over a decade. Student campaigning on the issue began with a referendum on ethical investment in 2003, and most recently with the implementation of the sustainable investment policy in 2007. Student representatives on University Court have been involved with investment decisions ever since. Most recently, the Microfinance Society and Oikos St Andrew have been working to introduce the PRI initiative.

The United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Initiative is an international network of investors working together to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. Its goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. In implementing the Principles, signatories contribute to the development of a more sustainable global financial system.

The University is following in the footsteps of over 1,000 companies and $30 trillion of assets from major worldwide funds, representing a growing social conscience to investing responsibly.

The CEO of the PRI, James Gifford, will visit St Andrews on Friday 3 May to witness the signing with the Principal of the University, Professor Louise Richardson. He will then deliver a seminar, followed by a wine reception and a chance for students to ask questions to an assembled panel, including investment academics.The launch event is hosted by the Students’ Association, Management Society, Investment Society and the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance.

Students’ Association President, Freddie Fforde, commented: “The PRI represents the best in student led campaigning for responsible investment at the University of St Andrews. The Students’ Association began campaigning for an Ethical Investment policy at St Andrews ten years ago and in a referendum of May 2003, 91% of the 1,200 students voting elected to support an ethical investment campaign.

Students have been working closely with the University ever since to develop a Sustainable Investment Policy, implemented in 2007. I am proud that our university has built on this progress by signing up to UNPRI and ensuring that its investment strategy sends a proud message to students at St Andrews and elsewhere.”

• This article was updated at 14:15 on 2 May 2013 to reflect corrected information.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Colours of the rainbow: summer smoothie recipes

Colours of the rainbow: summer smoothie recipes

Cool smoothie + hot day = the perfect summer combo.Photo: Wikimedia Commons It’s hot and you’re thirsty! Smoothies don’t need to be expensive treats you reward yourself with at Zest after a long day at the lib. Instead, they can be an amazing way to start the day with an energy boost, especially...

Read more →
  • Former St Andrews student admits to poisoning fellow student

Former St Andrews student admits to poisoning fellow student

A former student of the University of St Andrews has admitted to poisoning a fellow student, a court has heard. Alexander Hilton, now 24, mixed a bottle of red wine with methanol, a substance used in paint and anti-freeze, and encouraged fellow US national Robert Forbes to drink it before a student...

Read more →
  • Taking the long way: St Andrews graduates tackle the Pan American Highway

Taking the long way: St Andrews graduates tackle the Pan American Highway

This summer, Chris Lally and Danny Beech plan to cycle the Americas.Photo: Chris Lally and Danny Beech Next month recent St Andrews graduates Chris Lally and Danny Beech will attempt to set a new world record for the fastest time to cycle the length of the Pan American Highway. Their 22, 530 kilometre...

Read more →
  • Why I Stayed

Why I Stayed

Over the past four years, a lot of people have asked why I came to St Andrews.  The answer, as many students know, is typically the same.  And I can spit it out as easy as my name and birthday. In fact, the more telling question is the one which I’ve never been asked, and that is “why did you decide...

Read more →
  • 36 hours in London: an alternative tour

36 hours in London: an alternative tour

Instead of hitting all the touristy sites, take in the city from a rooftop bar.Photo: Lara Güneri London is an incredibly eclectic city that can cater to anyone’s interest. But if you don’t feel like doing the classic London tour of Big Ben, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square,...

Read more →