University signs Principles of Responsible Investment

April 30, 2013 5:39 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has signed up to the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.

The Students’ Association have been encouraging the University to invest its endowment responsibly for over a decade. Student campaigning on the issue began with a referendum on ethical investment in 2003, and most recently with the implementation of the sustainable investment policy in 2007. Student representatives on University Court have been involved with investment decisions ever since. Most recently, the Microfinance Society and Oikos St Andrew have been working to introduce the PRI initiative.

The United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Initiative is an international network of investors working together to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. Its goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. In implementing the Principles, signatories contribute to the development of a more sustainable global financial system.

The University is following in the footsteps of over 1,000 companies and $30 trillion of assets from major worldwide funds, representing a growing social conscience to investing responsibly.

The CEO of the PRI, James Gifford, will visit St Andrews on Friday 3 May to witness the signing with the Principal of the University, Professor Louise Richardson. He will then deliver a seminar, followed by a wine reception and a chance for students to ask questions to an assembled panel, including investment academics.The launch event is hosted by the Students’ Association, Management Society, Investment Society and the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance.

Students’ Association President, Freddie Fforde, commented: “The PRI represents the best in student led campaigning for responsible investment at the University of St Andrews. The Students’ Association began campaigning for an Ethical Investment policy at St Andrews ten years ago and in a referendum of May 2003, 91% of the 1,200 students voting elected to support an ethical investment campaign.

Students have been working closely with the University ever since to develop a Sustainable Investment Policy, implemented in 2007. I am proud that our university has built on this progress by signing up to UNPRI and ensuring that its investment strategy sends a proud message to students at St Andrews and elsewhere.”

• This article was updated at 14:15 on 2 May 2013 to reflect corrected information.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• A taste of Hong Kong

A taste of Hong Kong

A panorama of the Hong Kong skyline. Photo: WikiCommons There is a traditional Chinese phrase that means in English ‘the neighbour’s food smells good’. Like a lot of Chinese phrases, it seems to be a rather odd thing to say, but is somewhat meaningful. In this case, the phrase suggests that because...

Read more →
  • SSC round-up: renaming the ball convenor, renewing Association projects and holding charities campaign elections

SSC round-up: renaming the ball convenor, renewing Association projects and holding charities campaign elections

The Student Services Council (SSC) held their first meeting since the 2014 student elections on Tuesday 22 April, in the Committee Room at 7pm. This will be the last meeting of the councils during this academic year. Two motions were quickly passed. The first was a proposal to rename the ball convenor...

Read more →
  • Interview: the St Andrews Young European Movement

Interview: the St Andrews Young European Movement

With David Cameron and Ed Miliband both talking seriously about a UK referendum on the European Union, the EU elections fast approaching on 22 May and the Scottish referendum raising questions about EU membership, Europe is proving a relevant topic for the politically engaged. The Saint sat down with...

Read more →
  • The Iron Author – Benjamin Grove interview

The Iron Author – Benjamin Grove interview

Margaret Thatcher is the subject of a new student-penned musical. Image: Wikimedia Commons. I think I can say with confidence that when the average person thinks ‘Margaret Thatcher’, the following word is rarely, if ever, ‘musical’. Well, why not? If Jerry Springer can have a musical, why not...

Read more →
  • TV week in review: 20/04/14

TV week in review: 20/04/14

Game Of Thrones. Image: HBO. Game of Thrones (Sky Atlantic) **** Game of Thrones is simply wonderful. Except that it’s not simple, and it can be as irritating as it is wonderful. Technically, it’s a marvelous achievement. It’s highly cinematic and, more often than not, visually infallible....

Read more →