University signs Principles of Responsible Investment

April 30, 2013 5:39 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has signed up to the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.

The Students’ Association have been encouraging the University to invest its endowment responsibly for over a decade. Student campaigning on the issue began with a referendum on ethical investment in 2003, and most recently with the implementation of the sustainable investment policy in 2007. Student representatives on University Court have been involved with investment decisions ever since. Most recently, the Microfinance Society and Oikos St Andrew have been working to introduce the PRI initiative.

The United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Initiative is an international network of investors working together to put the six Principles for Responsible Investment into practice. Its goal is to understand the implications of sustainability for investors and support signatories to incorporate these issues into their investment decision making and ownership practices. In implementing the Principles, signatories contribute to the development of a more sustainable global financial system.

The University is following in the footsteps of over 1,000 companies and $30 trillion of assets from major worldwide funds, representing a growing social conscience to investing responsibly.

The CEO of the PRI, James Gifford, will visit St Andrews on Friday 3 May to witness the signing with the Principal of the University, Professor Louise Richardson. He will then deliver a seminar, followed by a wine reception and a chance for students to ask questions to an assembled panel, including investment academics.The launch event is hosted by the Students’ Association, Management Society, Investment Society and the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance.

Students’ Association President, Freddie Fforde, commented: “The PRI represents the best in student led campaigning for responsible investment at the University of St Andrews. The Students’ Association began campaigning for an Ethical Investment policy at St Andrews ten years ago and in a referendum of May 2003, 91% of the 1,200 students voting elected to support an ethical investment campaign.

Students have been working closely with the University ever since to develop a Sustainable Investment Policy, implemented in 2007. I am proud that our university has built on this progress by signing up to UNPRI and ensuring that its investment strategy sends a proud message to students at St Andrews and elsewhere.”

• This article was updated at 14:15 on 2 May 2013 to reflect corrected information.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• St Andrews makes it four in a row

St Andrews makes it four in a row

Photo Credit: Scottish Rugby Since its resumption in 2011, the spectacle of the Scottish Varsity has only grown. Yesterday’s clash between St Andrews and Edinburgh was the second held at Murrayfield, the home of Scottish Rugby, and was bigger and better than the year prior. This year saw the fixture...

Read more →
  • St Andrews makes victorious debut in National League

St Andrews makes victorious debut in National League

Photo: St Andrews Women’s Basketball Team The St Andrews Women’s Basketball team made a successful National League debut on Sunday 18 September by edging out local rivals Edinburgh 45-44 at the University Sports Centre. The team have come along so well under Callum Knox, the coach, and topped...

Read more →
  • The Springboks do it again

The Springboks do it again

As dusk settled over the Scottish scenery, the Springboks gathered at Balgove Larder to present us with an outstanding event. With the smell of freshly grilled meat on the breeze, the South African braai* spirit was definitely present. A variety of students milled about the Larder, enjoying the last...

Read more →
  • A guide to the Mercury Prize shortlist

A guide to the Mercury Prize shortlist

Photo: inquirelive Blackstar by David Bowie: Blackstar was unveiled just two days before the ever-innovative Bowie succumbed to his fight with liver cancer. Creepy yet tragic, the experimental jazz instrumentation beneath an enfeebled yet unceasingly familiar voice offers a spirited goodbye and examination...

Read more →
  • Women’s rugby set to take centre stage at Murrayfield

Women’s rugby set to take centre stage at Murrayfield

Photo Credit: Saints Rugby The history of the Varsity is one rich in both victory and defeat. The oldest student rugby match in the world, the sporting fixture has settled nicely into Murrayfield, where the Edinburgh and St Andrews teams will be supported by a crowd 10,000 students strong. Although the...

Read more →