The Saint through 2012-13

0
Illustration: Monica Burns

The Saint’s News team looks back over the best and worst that St Andrews had to offer this year.

Illustration: Monica Burns
Freshers’ Week kicks off academic year
Freshers’ Week 2012 welcomed incoming students with a wide range of events. For many it was their first experience of the Bop and Sin City. Featuring artists like Kissy Sell Out, Rudimental and Tinchy Stryder, it was the perfect welcome to the Bubble.
Accommodation fears prove unfounded
Despite widespread concern that many students would find themselves homeless, almost 300 rooms in Univer­sity accommodation were still available. The previous year, the University had been unable to accommodate 535 students.
Will and Kate attend gala dinner
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attended a pri­vate gala in November as part of the University’s 600th anniversary celebration. Prin­cipal Louise Richardson and Association President Freddie Fforde were also in attendance. The dinner was in aid of the 600th Anniversary Scholarship.
Quad dressed in human coat of arms
The Chinese Hongpao Society in collaboration with the Your600th campaign organised the Human Coat of Arms in November 2012 as part of the University’s 600th Anniversary celebrations. Nearly 1,000 students gathered in St Salvator’s Quad in a colour­ful mass formation of the iconic University coat of arms.
Other Guys go for Christmas Number One
The Other Guys released their single, ‘Christmas Gets Worse Every Year.’ The group received a lot of media attention that saw the song hit the Scottish top 40 and number 3 in the UK Indie Charts. All profits from the single went to the Your600th Bursary fund.
St Andrews says no to NUS
The delayed NUS referendum finally took place in Novem­ber with students overwhelmingly saying ‘No to NUS’ with 75 per cent of the final vote. Campaigning included a visit from NUS President Liam Burn and a panda costume that was never fully explained.
University Rector assessed
Current Rector Alistair Moffat came under fire after having letters sent to two UCL scientists accusing them of libel following criticism of his DNA company BritainsDNA. Moffat claimed the company had found nine people in the UK related to the Queen of Sheba and one man who was the grandson of Eve.
24/7 library trialled
DoRep Amanda Litherland fulfilled one of her main campaign pledges and secured 24/7 library access for students over the Christmas exam period. The trial didn’t prove quite as popular as expected, though another trial is due to take place this exam diet.
St Andrews at the Lord Mayor’s Show
40 St Andrews representatives including the Sabbatical officers took part in the annual Lord May­or’s Show in London. St Andrews’ presence was in celebration of the University’s 600th anniversary.
Hill victorious but Ross steals headlines
Chloe Hill was elected Students’ Associa­tion President for the coming academic year. Jamie Ross, the second place candidate, came close to victory with a differ­ence of just 174 votes. The President-elect will be the first female President in 13 years.
Elitism bubbles over
A video of a group of St Andrews stu­dents ‘champagning’ – pouring bottles of champagne over themselves at various places in town – sparked controversy about St Andrews’ perceived ‘elitism’. Following the media backlash, the students involved took down the video and apologised.
St Andrews drops out of world top 100
The University of St Andrews slipped out of the top 100 universities in the Times Higher Education world rankings. Despite an improvement in overall score, the Univer­sity fell from 85th to 108th due to advancements made by universities in the East.
Sexism in St Andrews
Is St Andrews sexist? A poll run by The Saint found that two thirds of respondents said that aspects of St Andrews are sexist. Over a third of those asked said they knew of incidents of sexual harass­ment and 20% of respondents reported having experienced it.
Final curtain call for the Byre
Financial difficulties forced the Byre Theatre to shut its doors on Thurs­day 31 January 2013. Despite efforts from the local community to ‘Save the Byre’ the board found no alternatives to liquidation.
A Sabb state of affairs?
The Saint asked students in October if they could rec­ognise the current sabbati­cal officers or if they knew what they actually did. The majority of students answered in the negative despite a record turnout at the last student election. The Sabbs did at least get a radio show name out of the head­line.
Union redevelopment begins
The £12million redevelopment of the Union began in March 2013. The main changes with take place in four distinct phases and work is expected to be completed by No­vember 2015. Plans include a new shop and café as well as a theatre and night club.
Keith O’Brien resigns
Cardinal Keith O’Brien, Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh and Brit­ain’s most senior Catholic cleric, resigned on 25 Febru­ary 2013 amid accusations of inappropriate conduct. His views on homosexual­ity had prompted contro­versy in the past, sparking a student protest when he visited St Andrews in April 2012.

Illustration: Monica Burns

Layout: Elliot Davies