St Andrews ranked top in Scotland in Leiden Ranking

1
Photo: Remi Mathis
St Salvator's Quad Photo: Remi Mathis
St Salvator’s Quad
Photo: Remi Mathis

The University of St Andrews has been ranked top in Scotland in the Leiden Ranking 2013.

The prestigious scientific performance ranking places the University of St Andrews at 47 in the overall list. This is an increase of 24 places on last year, which means that St Andrews is now placed first in Scotland and fifth in the UK.

The CWTS Leiden Ranking uses a sophisticated set of bibliometric indicators to measure the scientific performance of 500 universities. The ranking aims to provide a highly accurate measurement of the scientific impact of universities and of their involvement in scientific collaboration. The Leiden Ranking looks at a number of indicators, including the number of publications, citations-per-publication, and field-averaged impact per publication.

The rankings compare research institutions by taking into account differences in language, discipline and institutional size. They are different from some other university ranking systems as the Leiden Ranking does not rely on surveys or data provided by the universities themselves.

Professor Louise Richardson, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of St Andrews, expressed her delight at the news:

“St Andrews may be one of the world’s smaller research universities but demonstrably we have global impact as so many of our academics are producing important, recognised research.

“This is a good result for St Andrews, but it is also a good result for Scotland. As we celebrate 600 years of taking Scotland to the world, we are determined that Scotland’s first University should remain a critical international force and a means of strengthening Scotland’s contribution to matters of global concern.”