St Andrews gowns

The University of St Andrews has been placed sixth in the UK and first in Scotland in the latest university league table, The Complete University guide.

The guide is based on nine measures: Student Satisfaction, Research Assessment, Entry Standards, Student: Staff Ratio; Spending on Academic Services; Spending on Student Facilities; Good Honours degrees achieved; Graduate Prospects and Completion.

According to the guide’s authors: “What is beyond dispute is that the top ten includes some of the world’s finest higher education institutions.”

St Andrews is the only Scottish university to be placed in the top ten. It comes below Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial College London and Durham.

The University was also placed sixth in the UK in the 2013 Complete University guide last year. However, the overall score has risen from 855 (out of a possible 1000 points) in 2013 to 891 in 2014. It scored particularly highly for student satisfaction but fell down slightly on graduate prospects.

Principal and Vice Chancellor Professor Louise Richardson expressed her delight at the latest success. She said:“This result is clear evidence of the dedication, engagement and academic rigour of everyone who works and studies at St Andrews and a signal of our determination to ensure St Andrews and Scotland continue to compete globally at the highest level.

“We do not, however, take our league table positions for granted.  As we celebrate the University’s 600th anniversary, our £100m fundraising campaign is driven by the urgent need to match our resources to our potential, and to retain for Scotland – and her oldest university – a place at the top of the tables.”

The news comes just a few days after the announcement that the University had been placed top in Scotland in the prestigious Leiden ranking.