Search for missing St Andrews lecturer scaled down

0
Photo: University of St Andrews
Photo: University of St Andrews
Photo: University of St Andrews

The search for missing lecturer Dr Oliver Smith has been scaled down as hopes that he will be found alive begin to fade.

Dr Smith, a lecturer in Russian at the University of St Andrews, went missing on the Isle of Skye on Saturday April 6. He had been on a weekend break in the area with his partner Shelly Jacobsen and their one-year-old daughter.

It is understood that he had intended to climb the munro Bla Bheinn before descending and taking the coastal path to Elgol via Loch Coruisk. The alarm was raised when he failed to return to his holiday accommodation later that day.

Mr Smith is described as 5ft 7in, of slim build with short brown hair and stubble. He wears glasses and when last seen he was dressed in khaki trousers, a black jacket, black hat and he was carrying a small blue/grey rucksack.

There was an extensive search of the Isle, involving Kintail and the Skye mountain rescue teams, Sarda (the Search and Rescue Dog Association), and the coastguard helicopter Rescue 100,  but no trace of Dr Smith has been found and the operation has now been scaled back .

A spokesperson for Police Scotland, Highlands and Islands division confirmed that the investigation was being treated as a missing person inquiry but no searches had taken place this week and was unable to say if any more would take place this weekend.

Last week, a spokesperson for the University told The Saint: “We are deeply concerned for Oliver and remain in close touch with his family.  Our thoughts are very much with them and with him at this difficult time.”