Stereoscope – “The Everyday Issue” Launch

1

Stereoscope launched “The Everyday Issue” at the St Andrews Sailing Club last week.  The venue was unique — a small, two-floor building behind East Sands.  Pictures from the new issue were on display, combining pieces from the University archives with student photography and writing.  “The Everyday” issue covers an eponymous theme in depth; the issue itself is a professional booklet with an attractive design.

Stereoscope editor, Jasmine Picôt-Chapman, said: “We picked the theme ‘The Everyday’ as we felt it was a good balance of being open to interpretation and relevant to contemporary art.  We publish one ‘proper’ issue a year, so we try to make it something really special.  A lot of work goes into crafting every aspect of the publication, from bake sales to sifting through the thousands of Special Collections photographs.  The launch is a great opportunity for us to celebrate this and make people aware of the quality of the photography here, both in the form of student work and from the archive.”

The launch showcased an edition that was dubbed the “biggest issue yet” for Stereoscope.  A photography scout for the issue, Neha Shastry, explained that “The Everyday” was not just a theme, but a creative impulse behind the project.  “The statement that was constantly kept in mind while putting together the magazine as well as the launch was, ‘What happens when nothing happens?’  This really drove us to create the final product.  In terms of submissions, it was interesting to see people’s interpretations of ‘The Everyday,’ which ranged from the very mundane to just plain repetition.”

Jasmine Arnold, who oversaw layout in “The Everyday” issue, expressed a similar sentiment. “Both writing and photography submissions for the recent issue reflected a theme that is very ambiguous and open to interpretation,” she said.  “Two pieces of writing were edited from dissertation papers submitted for art history, which shows ‘The Everyday’ is something that is timeless.”

Arnold was also hopeful that the core of Stereoscope’s mission will continue to thrive.  “I think Stereoscope’s success is due in large part — I wouldn’t say niche — but it’s one of the very few publications available to submit your work as a student-photographer, in terms of pure focus on photography.”

Clifford Murray joined Clara Engelhardt, who played last year’s Stereoscope launch, to perform a tandem DJ set at the new issue’s unveiling.  “Some of our tastes are very similar and quite suited to that kind of event, so it made sense,” Murray said.  “We just planned to keep it laid-back at the beginning and then see where the night would go.  Sure enough, it evolved into a bit of a party by the end — or devolved, depending on how you look at it.”

Photo Credit: Stereoscope