St Andrews Malaysian International Group’s third annual sell-out event saw a line of buffet trays that stretched from the top of the hall to the doors of Holy Trinity Church Hall. The trademark warm welcome from SMIG opened the evening, but as the festivities and feasting got underway, with the huge queue of attendees that snaked around the perimeter of the hall, one wondered if there would be enough food for over 150 stomachs…

Mountains of satay skewers were cooked outside on a charcoal grill providing that all too familiar smell of barbecuing meat usually found in the hawker stalls of Malaysia. Pots full of sauces rich with coconut and laden with fragrant spices filled huge vats of lamb curry, chicken herbal soup, curry laksa and stewed pork belly. There were also dishes of vegetable curry and tom yum soup from Indonesia and Thailand available, providing not only flavours of Malaysia, but flavours from all over South-East Asia. The meal was rounded off with sago desserts and herbal jelly, as well as ice cream from Janettas and cakes from BakeSoc.

Entertainment came in the form of a variety of performances from several acts, ranging from a cover of Ed Sheeran’s ‘The A Team’, Malaysian popular songs, an acoustic version of Swedish House Mafia’s ‘Don’t You Worry Child’ and a duet of Disney’s ‘Part of Your World’. The music ended with a performance on the traditional Chinese instrument (Guzheng) and imparted a well received taste of Malaysian culture.

One need not have worried about whether or not there would be a sufficient amount of food as everyone’s stomachs were left full and sated. It was clear that weeks of preparation went into the organisation for this event and the well placed army of volunteers that helped serve, prepare and clear up worked to a military precision throughout the evening. The night brought not only a delightful range of cuisines but also a ray of tropical Malaysian sunshine to St Andrews. Get ready to buy tickets for next year – I anticipate it selling out even quicker than it did this year.