IMG_6952-1

Student organizers and models involved in this year’s St Andrews Charity Fashion Show (FS) handed a cheque worth £27,500 to the Principal on April 3, 2013, the highest amount raised in the show’s history, for the University of St Andrews’ 600th Anniversary Campaign.

The money will go to the Wardlaw Scholarship scheme, which gives financial assistance to academically gifted students who would otherwise struggle with the cost of studying at St Andrews.

“I would like to personally thank all our guests for helping us raise a fantastic sum of money for the University but also to our dedicated team of committee and models. Our inaugural London night FS 2013 was without doubt our best show to date and demonstrates the incredible results talented groups of students can achieve,” said Fashion Show Director Guy Hartley.

Assistant Director Andrew Ratomski said: “FS 2013 is proud to give back to our own University during its 600th Anniversary and to celebrate its long and astounding heritage. The University of St Andrews has given us invaluable experiences and we hope to provide the same opportunity for other students in the future.”

Two charity shows were organized in February, one sell-out event in St Andrews on Lower College Lawn, and the other in Covent Garden during London Fashion Week.

Other activities also helping to break Fashion Show’s fundraising records, and to promote the University’s 600th Anniversary Campaign, included selling shaving foam to Raisin Monday revellers, securing corporate sponsorship from companies such as Swarovski and Alfa Romeo and an online magazine.

Now entering its 21st year, the St Andrews Charity Fashion Show is the largest student-run charity fashion show in the UK and over its lifetime has raised over £300,000 for a variety of worthwhile charities.

Its website lists 18 designers and describes the society as a professionally run and high achieving student organisation, which is passionate about both fundraising and fashion.

The University website says the Wardlaw Scholarship scheme “was established in 2004 to provide financial assistance for academically gifted students who would otherwise struggle with the cost of studying at the University of St Andrews. Many of the scholarships are general awards with no restriction on the subject of study or geographical location; others are limited to students studying within a particular subject area or particular geographical location or other restriction in their criteria.”