Feed me for under a fiver – Second Course

0
Sausages

There is a reason that classics stay classics and remain firmly put in our kitchen repertoires. A proper toad in the hole is one of these things that will never need a molecular makeover. Don’t use those flabby pink just-about-legally-classified sausages. This calls for some proper bangers which are also extremely affordable. An 8 sausage toadie will easily feed 4 hungry mouths.

Don’t be daunted, home made gravy is surprisingly easy – you’ve probably got all the ingredients in your cupboard and you get to impress your mum when she phones to ask what you did this week. I’ve suggested a mushy pea and potato mash, it was given to me once by mistake instead of ordinary spud mash and I’ve never looked back since (tip: add some chopped mint if you’ve got any). This fancy side means you get your portion of veggies and it looks a little more upmarket than your usual pile of peas. If you want to try a vegetarian substitute then go ahead, just make sure that you add an extra tablespoon or so of oil to the pan because your Yorkshire just won’t puff up without. Yorkshire puddings aren’t just for Sunday roast and besides, who can say no to a proper bit of sausage?

Upgrade option: wrap the sausages in streaky bacon

Toad in the hole

Serves: 4

Total Cost: £4.52

What you need:

• 8 Sausages (£2 from Morrisons for their standard range- not the value ones.) 
  • 100g plain flour and a tablespoon of flour (I’m going to assume you’ve got this in your cupboard)
  • 1 large egg (about 15p)
  • 100ml milk (Again, I’m going to assume you’ve got this to hand)
  • 1kg potatoes, boiled. (72p for a kilo from Tesco)
  • 1 bag of frozen peas, boiled- add to potatoes in the last 3 minutes of cooking. (89p from Tesco)
  • 4 red or white onions sliced (76p loose from Tesco)
  • 500ml stock (1 stock cube in 500ml should suffice, you can always make more if you need

What you do with it:

1. Pre heat the oven to about 200. Move your shelves so you have a shelf for the middle of the oven.
  2. Arrange the sausages and prick the skins with a fork in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until they start to brown and give out oil. If they don’t give out much, add a tablespoon of oil to the pan.
  3. Meanwhile, make the batter. Put the flour in a mixing bowl and crack the egg into the centre of it. Mix the egg and the flour together until it makes a thick paste.
  4. Add the milk to the batter slowly and whisk until there are no more lumps. You’re looking for a batter of pouring consistency. You might need a little more or less milk. Trust your judgement and play it by eye. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Take the roasting tin out of the oven and pour the batter over the sausages, quickly return to oven for about 20 minutes until golden and puffed up. Resist urge to open oven door and check on your baby.
  6. Make the gravy while the toad is finishing off- brown the onions in two tablespoons of oil. Cook until they are brown and sticky. Add a spoonful of sugar to help caramelisation. Add the tablespoon of flour to the onions and stir together until combined. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce if you have it to hand. Whisk the stock in slowly- you might not need it all for whatever consistency you prefer.
  7. Mash the potatoes with the peas. Add milk and butter if you’re feeling generous. Season.
  8. Serve hot from the oven with lashings of gravy.