And Now His Watch Is Ended.

As well as being the title of this week’s terrific episode of Game of Thrones (come on, there was always going to be a Thrones reference in one of these editorials), this is the last print edition overseen by the current editorial team.

We’ve come a long way, but there is still much to be done.

You may be reading this paper because you know someone who writes for it, or edits, or takes photos. Equally, you may know no-one who is greatly involved in the organisation and are simply reading it because you are an Arts student and you have absolutely nothing else to be doing.

Whichever camp you fall into, it is unlikely that you know quite what internal Saint operations are like. On a personal level, The Saint has given me some of my very best, and worst, experiences. I have also had the pleasure of working with some great people, not least this year’s exceptional team.

The ability of that team has shown through, I think, both in print and online. The paper looks sharper, more consistent, more professional. The standard of articles, photos and illustrations is high.

This year’s new website has wowed all of us, and I hope that it’s even impressed some of you. More online content and a more attractive site to look at makes for a happy combination. Add into that our more productive use of Facebook and Twitter, and you’ve got yourself some progress.

I should probably shut up about us now, because this is not just some retrospective bid for attention from a tired old Editor. Unless you’re the Times or Guardian or BBC, in which case LOOK AT ME!

Turn to pages 4 and 5 for some more wholesome retrospective. Production Manager Monica Burns, News Editor Jonathan Bucks and the News team have combined to create a quite spectacular visual representation of the St Andrews news stories of 2012-13. You’ll be surprised at how much you’ll have forgotten. I know I was.

The front page of Features (page 13) brings together the childhood ambitions of the current Saint team; there’s also the usual mix of interviews and articles on travel, science, politics and lifestyle.

I’m not going to list all of the sections we have in the paper. Not because I care much about your sanity, but because there is a list of contents to the left of this Editorial.

As a former Sport Editor, however, it would be remiss of me to not mention our Rugby Sevens review (page 31). It’s a tournament as well known for its afterparty as its rugby, but I can assure you that the quality on the pitches shone through.

That’s that, I suppose. As Editor, there are things I could have done a lot better and things I would have liked to have done that did not materialise. But let’s not focus on regrets. Thanks to the outgoing team, I believe we are in a stronger position to provide you with the news and views that are relevant to your student life, as well as a wide variety of features and reviews stemming from St Andrews and beyond.

And I have just as much confidence that the new committee are more than capable of taking up the torch and carrying it even further.