Childhood amibitions of The Saint team

0

team1

Richard Browne, Editor
When I was younger I wanted to be a paleontologist. Because what could be better than studying dinosaurs? I mean, I knew all of their names (even how to pronounce some of them) and I watched ‘Walking with Dinosaurs’ more than was good for me. Sadly, I later realised that that job path would involve doing science. No thank you.

Craig Lye, Deputy Editor
I grew up in a scientific household, and two things filled my primary school years – books and machines. I fell in love with both, but, like most other boys, I wanted to do what daddy did. I was captivated in particular by military planes – their speed, abilities, and raw power (my room had pictures all over the walls – an F117-A Nighthawk and a B2 Spirit). The seminal moment of my dichotomy came when I told a girl on the school bus that I wanted to be an engineer. “Why would you want to do that?” she said, “Engineers are all short men with glasses called Dave.” My father is a short, bespectacled man called Dave. At that point, I decided to look elsewhere and, somehow, alighted on the world of book publishing. I have never looked back.

Jonathan Bucks, News Editor
The gentle hiss of the phone and my mother’s silence when I ask about my choice of vocation as a child suggests two things. One: my adolescent ambitions stretched only as far as tying my shoelaces and pretending to be a Poweranger, and two: I knew that by the time I came to it, the British economy would be in such a state that I would be forced to join the cohorts of jobless twentysomethings…I didn’t want to be a policeman or a doctor – well aware at the tender age of eight that a narrowing public sector would spell disaster for my aspirations -, politicians were reviled, sportsmen were overpaid, and pop stars just didn’t do it for me. So I chose piracy, bought myself an eye patch and a fake parrot, and spent my youth pretending to have a peg leg. Funnily enough, student life and vitamin C deficiency have left me wondering that I might have scurvy, so I suppose I haven’t entirely shaken off my childish whim.

Elliott Miskin, Money Editor
When I was younger I didn’t care about money, business, finance, or journalism. What I really loved was performing (and Winnie the Pooh). I loved to put on shows in my grandmother’s living room that my entire family was coerced into watching: I would wow the adoring crowd encore after encore, week after week. I auditioned for every choir and school play on offer, but much as I tried, I could not escape the inevitable truth that I was tremendously devoid of talent. I’m more confident in my ability to perform open heart surgery than I am to sing in tune. Except in my shower – there I’m awesome.

Nick Casella, Viewpoint Editor
I wanted to be a baseball player and a rock star in the offseason.

Caitlin Hamilton, Features Editor
As we all know, somewhat tragically, I wished to be a horse when I was younger…

Cara Wonnacott, Events Editor
Following far too many viewings of Legally Blonde, I decided it would be a fabulous idea to become President. I would join a sorority, just as Elle did. I would go to Harvard Law School, just as Elle did. And then I would become President of the United States. I would not need to be nominated, I would not need to campaign, I would just be President, and everyone would just accept this fact.

Dee Pabari, Events Editor
I have no recollection of what I wanted to be when I was younger, but I do remember wanting to be part of The Famous Five. I’m not really sure how realistic this career aim is, as I really dislike ginger beer.

Jake Threadgould, Photography Chief
When I was younger I wanted to be Alan Shearer. So deep-seated was this desire that when I was plopped onto the local barber’s chair at the age of seven I asked for the iconic receding hairline.  In the unlikely event that this venture didn’t work out, my back-up plan was to become a vet or a snow leopard. These endeavours have yet to be fulfilled, but I still have high hopes that one day, in the future, I could combine all three to become the only self-healing snow leopard to play up front for Newcastle United.

Celeste Sloman, Photograph Chief
I guess I used to always just want to own horses – I was one of those weird horse girls. But then I think since I grew up around photography that has always been my thing really….

Stephen Jenkins, Arts & Culture Editor
Growing up I had fleeting ambitions to be a cowboy, or an astronaut, or Indiana Jones. All pretty realistic aspirations in the mind of a young boy. I suppose the fact that there’s no ‘super cool practical astrophysics with a field trip to the moon’ option when choosing GCSEs can make one lose sight of those dreams (that and the fact that the only living “legend” of archaeology is Tony Robinson). I still reckon I could make a good Clint Eastwood though. I’ve been practising my squint for years. All I need now is a poncho.

Lewis Camley, Arts & Culture Sub-Editor
After brief flirtations with ‘pirate’ and ‘caped crusader’, and before the inevitable, hopeless pre-pubescent desire to captain Rangers to Old Firm victory, I wanted to be a ‘Scientist’. I had no idea what that actually meant: being a little too young for astrophysics and molecular biology, science to me was little more than a Christmas-present chemistry set that I barely knew how to operate. I think I just like the fun experiments, the colour changes and the fizzing reactions; the glasses and the goggles and the coat.  Ultimately, I want to write, an ambition in some ways still tied to the desire for, and probing of, certainties – though with much less hydrochloric acid and bicarbonate soda eruptions. Maybe.

James Gray, Sports Editor
Essentially, as a Classicist, I now harbour dreams of unemployment and house husbandry. When I was younger and more optimistic, I wavered between wanting to be a jockey, despite no interest in horses, and a window-cleaner, despite no interest in hard work. My rationale for the window-cleaning was I would meet people. Well, I would. I may yet…

Camilla Henfrey, Business Manager
Age nine I wanted a lemonade stall on our road. Our road is a steep hill occupied mostly by the Manchester United team, who have no children and a fondness for champagne above lemonade. Why we live here when Dad is a decorator and Mum earns less per hour than my ex-boyfriend is hard to explain, but they purposefully hindered my plans for ‘lemonade on the lawn’. Instead I sold my handmade cards at the school fair and spent numerous Saturdays working in Blacks, even though the uniform did make me look like Action Man. Money was and probably still is my main drive (for ten hours a week I flog mascaras in Superdrug). My nine year old self never wanted to be anything in particular, I just wanted to be successful. And by successful, I mean rich.

Ryan Cant, Business Manager
According to a story my grandmother loves to tell all of my friends, old and new, when I was a young child I desperately wanted to be a bin man when I grew up. Apparently, I used to insist upon standing outside on collection day to watch.  There is a rather amusing photo in the family’s possession of a four year old me sat in my “favourite” kids’ ride: a dustbin collection van!  Thankfully, my ambition moved on with age, and I became determined to pursue a career as an interpreter, but being able to order a beer in France is not the same as being able to critically discuss Albert Camus’ work… In the end, I opted for management consultancy.  Who knows, perhaps they’ll need a consultant to advise the local authority on the best way to collect rubbish!

Chris Young, Business Manager
Whilst I’m pretty certain my dream was to become the advertising manager of a local student newspaper, this memory seems so deeply engrossed in my mind, that it cannot be recalled. Instead, I believe I set more attainable goals for the future. My Prime Ministerial intentions were looking certain until I discovered it was frowned upon to charge your moat cleaning on expenses – a shattering realisation. Looking further back into my adolescence, I wanted to do everything from drive a tour bus, replace Jeremy Clarkson as the face of Top Gear, fly a plane, and own a hotel. As it stands, I’m set to achieve none of these childhood intentions, and I’m still having to clean out my own moat.

Monica Burns, Production Manager
I’ve always wanted to be an author, and I still do. It’s my ambition even now! So it’s not too much of an outrageous childhood dream, as it’s still feasible.

Elliot Davies, Web Editor
From early on in my childhood I wanted to do some sort of engineering: the first evidence of this was when my parents found me, aged two, attempting to dismantle my cot with a plastic screwdriver. Later on I decided I wanted to engineer computers instead, and for a long time I was quite certain I would become a computer games designer. This progressed to the stage (around age ten) where my friends and I had not only drawn out in considerable detail hundreds of levels of what was to be our first game, but we had also thought up a serious business plan involving a motorhome and travelling the country. Sadly the dream hasn’t come to pass – although I am studying computer science now, so who knows?