1000 people attend party in Queens Gardens

April 25, 2013 1:55 pm 4 comments
Photo: Camilla Henfrey

Police arrive at Queens Gardens party
Photo: Camilla Henfrey

Last night, six American golfers threw one of the biggest parties St Andrews has ever seen at 6 Queens Gardens.

The golfers, who were renting the house while visiting St Andrews, advertised the event on Facebook, with the help of a student. The news soon spread and hundreds of people confirmed that they were attending the event.

One of the golfers informed The Saint that around 1,000 people turned up to celebrate with them. The house and garden were crammed with people and party soon began to flow into the street.

The event included DJs and a live band playing harp, flute, drums and violin in the garden. The tourists also provided free beers and cocktails for their guests. Guests included Student Association president, Freddie Fforde and Director of Events and Services, Jules Findlay. Fforde later declined to comment on his attendance.

The Saint asked host Bob Spence why he decided to hold the event. He said: ‘Why have a party? My answer is “Why NOT have a party?”

He continued: “We had a great time. It was fun to see everybody having such a good time. Really, lots of good people.”

Around 11pm, the police arrived and began to try to clear people out of the street. Police Scotland confirmed that they attended the scene within three minutes of receiving a call and dealt with it in an “appropriate and efficient manner.” Anti-social behaviour orders were issued to nine party-goers.

The party was cleared by around midnight after the police threatened to take the details of those who remained in the area as spectators.

Mr Spence added that despite the police breaking up the party, they were “very nice and patient.”

Fay, the organiser of the event, said: “It just shows the power of social media and the demand for bigger events which the University can’t really provide – I don’t think that’s their fault – but it’s a shame we are limited with the size of the town. Clearly people quite like being together.

“I found the night pretty funny. People had no idea what to do. Or what they were meant to do. The Americans totally embraced it which I respect. And I think that is thanks to the students who weren’t out to cause trouble, just have a good time. I’m weirdly proud of everyone.”

DJs at the party Tallent + Droscha told The Saint: “As we got playing, 6 Queens Gardens went from us and a bunch of American nutters to a full on garden-house rave in a matter of minutes. It was short lived, but something we, and a lot of others, won’t be forgetting anytime soon. It was mental.”

Third year student, Camilla Henfrey, added: “It was actually very lovely.  It felt very surreal to be listening to this folk band at a strangers party organised on a whim which seemingly most of St Andrews showed up to.”

The University could not be reached for comment.

4 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Welcome home: guide to St Andrews’ halls of residence

Welcome home: guide to St Andrews’ halls of residence

Nearly every student moving away from home for the first time has nerves about what life will be like at university. Will I miss home? Will I get on with my roommate? Is it possible to survive entirely on a diet of cheap wine and Pot Noodles’? While The Saint can’t solve all these problems, we can...

Read more →
  • A look into the world of Lammas Market

A look into the world of Lammas Market

“Booster and Speed Buzz – Human Food Processors” Photo credit: A.R.E Taylor Few students – especially undergraduates – will know about the Lammas Market. It blooms only once a year at the beginning of August, when most students are away, and lasts for five days and nights until...

Read more →
  • Emergency services called to East Sands following chemical spill

Emergency services called to East Sands following chemical spill

Emergency services have been called to East Sands leisure centre following a chemical spill, the fire service have confirmed. Fire crews and ambulances were called out to St Andrews’ local swimming pool shortly after 1 pm and the far side of the beach has been evacuated. A safety official on site...

Read more →
  • Guide to St Andrews traditions

Guide to St Andrews traditions

Like many universities, St Andrews has its own unique set of traditions; however St Andrews’ usually gather more attention than most. Perhaps the most iconic of St Andrews’ traditions is our red academic gowns, worn by undergraduates. They have come to be one of the most famous symbols of St...

Read more →
  • The world of the St Andrews Harbour Cafe

The world of the St Andrews Harbour Cafe

Mrs Dodds standing at the helm of the Harbour Cafe.Photo: Natalia Fedorova Maybe you’ve never really noticed the St Andrews Harbour Cafe before. You’ve probably walked past it a few times on your way to East Sands. It’s located just before the small wooden bridge where the lock gates are: it’s...

Read more →