1000 people attend party in Queens Gardens

April 25, 2013 1:55 pm 4 comments
Photo: Camilla Henfrey

Police arrive at Queens Gardens party
Photo: Camilla Henfrey

Last night, six American golfers threw one of the biggest parties St Andrews has ever seen at 6 Queens Gardens.

The golfers, who were renting the house while visiting St Andrews, advertised the event on Facebook, with the help of a student. The news soon spread and hundreds of people confirmed that they were attending the event.

One of the golfers informed The Saint that around 1,000 people turned up to celebrate with them. The house and garden were crammed with people and party soon began to flow into the street.

The event included DJs and a live band playing harp, flute, drums and violin in the garden. The tourists also provided free beers and cocktails for their guests. Guests included Student Association president, Freddie Fforde and Director of Events and Services, Jules Findlay. Fforde later declined to comment on his attendance.

The Saint asked host Bob Spence why he decided to hold the event. He said: ‘Why have a party? My answer is “Why NOT have a party?”

He continued: “We had a great time. It was fun to see everybody having such a good time. Really, lots of good people.”

Around 11pm, the police arrived and began to try to clear people out of the street. Police Scotland confirmed that they attended the scene within three minutes of receiving a call and dealt with it in an “appropriate and efficient manner.” Anti-social behaviour orders were issued to nine party-goers.

The party was cleared by around midnight after the police threatened to take the details of those who remained in the area as spectators.

Mr Spence added that despite the police breaking up the party, they were “very nice and patient.”

Fay, the organiser of the event, said: “It just shows the power of social media and the demand for bigger events which the University can’t really provide – I don’t think that’s their fault – but it’s a shame we are limited with the size of the town. Clearly people quite like being together.

“I found the night pretty funny. People had no idea what to do. Or what they were meant to do. The Americans totally embraced it which I respect. And I think that is thanks to the students who weren’t out to cause trouble, just have a good time. I’m weirdly proud of everyone.”

DJs at the party Tallent + Droscha told The Saint: “As we got playing, 6 Queens Gardens went from us and a bunch of American nutters to a full on garden-house rave in a matter of minutes. It was short lived, but something we, and a lot of others, won’t be forgetting anytime soon. It was mental.”

Third year student, Camilla Henfrey, added: “It was actually very lovely.  It felt very surreal to be listening to this folk band at a strangers party organised on a whim which seemingly most of St Andrews showed up to.”

The University could not be reached for comment.

4 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Thrifting in the Bubble begins

Thrifting in the Bubble begins

Amidst the hullabaloo of Freshers’ Week: sports give-it-a-gos, society intro meetings, and moving in and settling down to a new year at university, Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair hosted their first St Andrews Affordable Vintage Fair of the year on Sunday 18 September. The pop up fair was received...

Read more →
  • Autumn style essentials

Autumn style essentials

The season of pumpkin spice lattes and cosy oversized sweaters has finally fallen upon us. Summer has bid farewell and the chillier weather is reminding us that autumn is back in town. Many of us are probably already trying to alter our summer wardrobe to suit the upcoming colder and rainier weather...

Read more →
  • New arrivals and classics on Netflix

New arrivals and classics on Netflix

If your current workload is heavy, chances are you won’t be able to head to the cinema but that isn’t to say that you can’t catch a film if you’re in the mood – Netflix has hundreds of films available at the push of a button and the list is forever expanding. From recent hits you might...

Read more →
  • Beating fresher’s flu: a pre’s playlist

Beating fresher’s flu: a pre’s playlist

With Freshers’ Week a distant memory and the impending flu here to stay, The Saint provides a playlist to break those Week 3 blues. Ultralight Beam – Kanye West Start off with something from the Life of Pablo, an album heavily influenced by the union’s infamous beverage. This track opens...

Read more →
  • St Andrews Conservative society disafilliates from Students’ Association

St Andrews Conservative society disafilliates from Students’ Association

The society committee that was elected at the AGM in question / Photo: Michael Green The St Andrews Conservative Society has announced it will disaffiliate from the University of St Andrews Students’ Association. The decision was made in response to the Association authorising the cash office to sell...

Read more →