1000 people attend party in Queens Gardens

April 25, 2013 1:55 pm 3 comments
Photo: Camilla Henfrey

Police arrive at Queens Gardens party
Photo: Camilla Henfrey

Last night, six American golfers threw one of the biggest parties St Andrews has ever seen at 6 Queens Gardens.

The golfers, who were renting the house while visiting St Andrews, advertised the event on Facebook, with the help of a student. The news soon spread and hundreds of people confirmed that they were attending the event.

One of the golfers informed The Saint that around 1,000 people turned up to celebrate with them. The house and garden were crammed with people and party soon began to flow into the street.

The event included DJs and a live band playing harp, flute, drums and violin in the garden. The tourists also provided free beers and cocktails for their guests. Guests included Student Association president, Freddie Fforde and Director of Events and Services, Jules Findlay. Fforde later declined to comment on his attendance.

The Saint asked host Bob Spence why he decided to hold the event. He said: ‘Why have a party? My answer is “Why NOT have a party?”

He continued: “We had a great time. It was fun to see everybody having such a good time. Really, lots of good people.”

Around 11pm, the police arrived and began to try to clear people out of the street. Police Scotland confirmed that they attended the scene within three minutes of receiving a call and dealt with it in an “appropriate and efficient manner.” Anti-social behaviour orders were issued to nine party-goers.

The party was cleared by around midnight after the police threatened to take the details of those who remained in the area as spectators.

Mr Spence added that despite the police breaking up the party, they were “very nice and patient.”

Fay, the organiser of the event, said: “It just shows the power of social media and the demand for bigger events which the University can’t really provide – I don’t think that’s their fault – but it’s a shame we are limited with the size of the town. Clearly people quite like being together.

“I found the night pretty funny. People had no idea what to do. Or what they were meant to do. The Americans totally embraced it which I respect. And I think that is thanks to the students who weren’t out to cause trouble, just have a good time. I’m weirdly proud of everyone.”

DJs at the party Tallent + Droscha told The Saint: “As we got playing, 6 Queens Gardens went from us and a bunch of American nutters to a full on garden-house rave in a matter of minutes. It was short lived, but something we, and a lot of others, won’t be forgetting anytime soon. It was mental.”

Third year student, Camilla Henfrey, added: “It was actually very lovely.  It felt very surreal to be listening to this folk band at a strangers party organised on a whim which seemingly most of St Andrews showed up to.”

The University could not be reached for comment.

3 comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Irn Bru, online shopping and reintroducing caning for Conservatives: the other side of Alex Salmond

Irn Bru, online shopping and reintroducing caning for Conservatives: the other side of Alex Salmond

Photo: Jan Cutting At one end of a Scottish Parliamentary office sits a pristine copy of Murray Pittock’s The road to independence? Perched on top of it is a slightly better thumbed edition of 50 people who screwed up Scotland. It just so happens that the office’s occupant is 47th on the list. He...

Read more →
  • Saints Hockey head coach receives national award

Saints Hockey head coach receives national award

The University of St Andrews Hockey Club has enjoyed a lot of success both on and off the field in the last couple of years, including promotions, cup runs, and the constant staving-off of relegation in a variety of BUCS leagues, as well as receiving Saints Sport’s Club of the Year award last year. Now...

Read more →
  • Astronomy PhD student admits sexual assaults

Astronomy PhD student admits sexual assaults

Pasquale Galianni, an astronomy PhD student at St Andrews, has admitted to carrying out two sex assaults at the North Haugh. Mr Galianni was placed on the sex offenders register by judge Lord Burns at the High Court in Glasgow today (18 December) but his sentence has been deferred. Halfway through his...

Read more →
  • Scotland’s richest woman makes £1m donation to St Andrews Malawi project

Scotland’s richest woman makes £1m donation to St Andrews Malawi project

Ann Gloag OBE, co-founder of the transport company Stagecoach and the richest woman in Scotland, will donate £1 million to help the launch of the University of St Andrews’ new Global Healthcare Implementation Programme. The programme is the result of a partnership with the Malawi College of Medicine...

Read more →
  • Feliz Madridad

Feliz Madridad

Christmas: a time of food, festivities and faked enthusiasm for distant relatives. At my Madrid primary school, term is slowly winding down, whilst the downtown streets Gran Vía and Calle Mayor are lined with decorations. Though the large, generic tree in Madrid’s central Plaza de Sol indicates...

Read more →