What are the best magazines to subscribe to?

0

Best for foodies: Spenser. They are currently having a total revamp, but will be back this winter with a new and improved magazine. This is raw, unpretentious food content at its absolute best. You can access it online for free at here or buy print copies from the hp Magazine Cloud, to which there is a link next to every copy. Expect articles about small producers and sustainability and plenty of recipes.

Best for total gastronomes: Probably the U.K’s only quarterly magazine for serious food lovers, Fire and Knives has well-known critics writing like passionate amateurs.  Their restaurant recommendations tend to be a bit London based but are worth the journey and everything else is fab. They have a sister publication for ‘‘drinkers and thinkers’’ called Gin & It which has just launched. Both are available from their online shop here for £32 and £34 respectively.

Best for those who like variety: Stack is a service that will send you a selection of independent magazines every month. You tell them what sort of zines you like and they base your package on this. It is a great way to discover titles that you would never otherwise hear about. Prices vary massively depending on what you select, from £6 to £72.

Best for underground culture: TLG is a ‘‘Womens Street Culture and Music Magazine’’. The founder/ creative director Alice Muir is a teenager, but there is nothing amateur about this publication which has only been around for a year, as it is already stocked in selected WHSmith and Diesel stores.  The current issue features Pharrell Williams’ new Billionaire Girls Club Collection, the founder of Womens Streetwear label, MadeMe, Erin Magee, Cooly G, Nguzunguzu, Analogue Monsta, and Agyness Deyn modelling womenswear label, Copson Street. Subscription (available from their website) is £9.99 and includes a TLG branded t-shirt.

And of course there is our very own The Saint; unfortunately you can’t actually subscribe but copies are always available at the library. The student discount (100% off) is also rather appealing on a magazine that will keep you up to date with everything that is happening in St Andrews and the rest of the world. There are ten issues published every year, but the content is always available online.