The Cartorialist: FS 2013 Alfa Romeo prize winner

March 7, 2013 7:30 am 0 comments
Photo: Jessica Biggs

Photo: Jessica Biggs

A few weeks ago, models hit the catwalk for St Andrews’ (and arguably Scotland’s) biggest fashion event of the year: FS. The Alfa Romeo Young Designer Award has been held in conjunction with FS since 2011, and this year the entrants’ brief was to marry Alfa Romeo’s design and heritage with the University’s own heritage, as well as incorporate the show’s ‘fragments of the imagination’ theme.

There were five collections shown on the night, but there could only be two winners: Luke Archer, fashion designer, and George Jenkins, accessories designer, collaborated on their winning collection. I caught up with Archer to find out a bit more about the inspiration behind their collection, and what impact winning the award will have on his future as a designer.

The Saint: You must feel ecstatic after winning the Alfa Romeo Young Designer Award; what does this mean for you?

Luke Archer: Very pleased, I was shocked for about two days but soon got my head back in gear to get ready for the next collection. Winning the competition has given me a springboard with which I will be able to gain recognition and build industry connections. It has also opened many doors within the fashion industry that were previously unavailable to me. I am striking while the iron is hot and will be using these opportunities to help launch my fashion label.

TS: Tell us about the pieces that won you the award: what was your inspiration, what were your influences?

LA: I’m not really sure which pieces they liked the most but my inspiration came from the Alfa Romeo cars and the brand itself. I took the elegance, masculinity, femininity and sexiness of the cars and combined them with direct features from the cars such as colour, bodywork design, stunning Alfa Romeo grills and alloy wheels.

TS: Did you have a particular type of woman in mind when you designed the collection?

LA: I had the ideal woman I would like to dress in mind. The Alfa Romeo brand combines elegance, femininity, masculinity and sexiness and the woman that I think of while designing is elegant, feminine, sexy and empowered. I feel that the women I design for have the same qualities that the cars embody. So I found it quite easy to design for Alfa Romeo as they have the same principals as I do when it comes to design.

TS: How was it working with George Jenkins? Have you two worked together before? Would you be interested in doing more collaborations in the future?

LA: George and I work well together, we collaborated for our graduate collections and hit it off well, so we entered the Alfa Romeo Young Designer Award competition together. I am sure we will continue to work together in future projects too.

TS: Which designers inspire you? Who do you look up to?

LA: I look up to Alexander McQueen, John Galliano, Christian Dior and Thierry Mugler. They are all very inspirational to me.

TS: What do you have lined up for the future; how do you see your label growing?

LA: I am hoping to have my Spring/Summer 2014 collection ready by September, to be shown during London Fashion Week. After that show I am hoping to gain suppliers and continue from there.

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• University fears accommodation deficit next year

University fears accommodation deficit next year

The University has offered to release returning students with places in halls of residence from their accommodation contracts because of concerns about the availability of accommodation for first year students. An email sent to all returning students who had received a place in a hall said: “We...

Read more →
  • TEDx: prepare to be inspired

TEDx: prepare to be inspired

Tamar Ziff gets the lowdown from event organisers Yousra Elbagir and Farah Fazalbhoy on the much anticipated tEDx Conference 2014, as it returns to the Bubble for the third year running . The Saint: When did you guys first get involved with the organisation of TEDx? Yousra Elbagir: We were both...

Read more →
  • ‘Unacceptable’: University may have broken rules by retaining governor

‘Unacceptable’: University may have broken rules by retaining governor

The University could be in breach of a Scottish government policy by deciding to keep on its senior governor after his term limit expired. The Scottish Code of Good Higher Education Governance states that “the reappointment of a chair beyond two terms of four years, or the equivalent, should be...

Read more →
  • A week in fast food

A week in fast food

With exams on the horizon and notes sprawled across every flat surface in sight, the panic has begun to set in and the demand for food is approaching peak levels. Although you’ve just finished lunch and have re-opened your textbook, you already have a craving for something else. Whether it is time...

Read more →
  • Editorial is dead, long live…

Editorial is dead, long live…

Probably mercifully for some, I am approaching the end of my time at St Andrews and thus the end of my time with student journalism. I couldn’t leave without reviewing just one more thing… complete with every cardinal sin, the mere mention of which should send all editors into shivers. From...

Read more →