Neurologist leaves £600,000 to School of Medicine

0
New School of Medicine (Photo: University of St Andrews)
New School of Medicine
(Photo: University of St Andrews)

A former student and lecturer of the University of St Andrews has left an estimated £600,000 to the School of Medicine.

Neurologist, Dr Bryan Ashworth, graduated from the University in 1952 and obtained his doctorate in Medicine in 1969. He returned as an Honorary Senior Lecturer in medical history from 1997 to 2002.

Following his death at the age of 83 in November last year, he left approximately a fifth of his estate to St Andrews. The University said that this represents the single largest gift to the new medical school since it open in November 2010.

The University said: “His far-sighted commitment to the University will ensure he continues to be part of its future, as well as a respected figure in the University’s history.”

Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Louise Richardson, added: “Our great universities have always thrived because of the generosity of graduates like Dr Ashworth. He received his university education thanks to a scholarship and he has generously chosen to create a lasting legacy with this donation.”

His legacy will support the continued work of the University’s internationally recognised research programmes at the School of Medicine in areas including: cancer biology, infection and immunity, child and adolescent health, and health psychology.

Chancellor and local MP, Sir Menzies Campbell explained the importance of donations like this to the University. “Legacies can be used in many ways to promote scholarship, to enhance the fabric of University life, to promote academic excellence and to preserve and protect the considerable heritage of bricks, mortar and scholarly works that are part of the unique treasures of St Andrews,” he said.