Chloe Hill victorious in YourUnion Elections 2013

10
The newly elected 2013-14 sabbatical officers (from left): Jess Walker, Kelsey Gold, Chloe Hill, Dan Palmer, Teddy Woodhouse. Photo: Jonathan Bucks

174: a number that will go down in Union folklore as the difference between second place, Jamie Ross, and Students’ Association President-elect, Chloe Hill. Ross’ absence from Venue 1 last night as the results were announced only added to what swiftly became a quasi-Ray Cooney farce.

Despite Ross’ near success, Chloe Hill’s victory was equally miraculous, marking the first female victory in 13 years, the last being Dana Green in 2001-02. A speechless, teary Hill failed to muster a few words but relief and sheer jubilation were etched across her face, as a packed Venue 1 descended into pandemonium.

The race for President was not the only close result. Dan Palmer narrowly saw off Fionnuala Glover to become next year’s Director of Events and Services (DoES) while Teddy Woodhouse claimed victory in the race for Director of Representation (DoRep). Kelsey Gold was unopposed and will join the fellow Sabbs as next year’s Director of Student Development and Activities (DoSDA) and Jess Walker makes it a quintet, narrowly defeating Stuart Owen take on the job as AU President.

However, it was the hotly contested Presidential race that caught the imagination of voters. Jamie Ross, the joke candidate who ran on the slogan: “Vote Jamie Ross: he literally has nothing better to do with his time,” came very close to claiming victory but was narrowly defeated by Chloe Hill: Ross was left with 1330 votes and Hill 1504 votes, in the final and fourth round.

Be sure to check out The Saint’s upcoming interviews with the Sabbatical officers-elect. The full list of elected representatives can be found here.

1. We all know that Jamie wasn’t qualified, and unless all of you fancy losing your societies grants and union bar, you were absolutely stupid to vote for him. It’s a good thing Chloe won.

2. “We all know that Jamie wasn’t qualified, and unless all of you fancy losing your societies grants and union bar, you were absolutely stupid to vote for him. It’s a good thing Chloe won.”

The day any President is capable of actually changing anything then I’ll start voting seriously. You are absolutely stupid to believe Chloe, Freddie or any incumbent has any real power. They’re not much more than a spokesperson for the student body, and few others voice opinions as well, or as engagingly, as Jamie Ross.

• Precisely. Funny how the majority of the people who criticise the office of the President have no idea how the Union actually works. Everyone uses the bars and the rooms without criticism, and then suddenly grows a vitriolic opinion when election season rolls around.
      Some of us give lots of time to the Union to make sure that you can enjoy your cheap pints and bops. Maybe talk to an SRC/SSC member, Sabb, or Union staff member before you judge.

• Perhaps I have an excellent idea of how the office of President, other saabs and SRC/SSC work and influence my student life? Simply because I criticise the role does not mean I do not understand it, if anything my interactions have made me the cynic I am today. And I appreciate many people put in a great deal of effort to ensure things run smoothly, they have my thanks, but that still does not mean the President has any power.

And thirdly, and this is a side point, but to accuse me of vitriolic opinion when it was yourself who opened this discussion with describing all of Mr Ross’ supporters as “absolutely stupid” is a tad unfair.

• Thats not at all that was said: “You were absolutely stupid to vote for him”. is the correct quote. Their actions do not suggest that the individuals are ‘stupid’, rather voting for a sneakers budget is ‘stupid’.

Smith, to seriously pick Jamie because he is good at voicing opinions well is daft. I thought and continue to think Jamie is a hilarious guy. Should he be the one to make sure that we continue to receive funding from the university for redevelopment? Should he be the one to continue to work with other unions to lobby the UK government to get rid of international student working visa’s? Should he be the one to sit and hold vote within the University Court? Based upon his policies, ‘no’.

This begs further question, could anyone, with a proper handover and reasonable training do the job of the Association President?

Perhaps not. It takes a great deal of ‘people skills’, tact, and determination to make sure the limited amount of ‘power’ the president may wield is used to actively benefit the student experience and the institution that is the Students’ Union.

It was funny but, I have to agree, moronic to cast a first vote for Jamie Ross.

• Typical. A joke candidate gets twice as many votes as a real candidate, and your only response is that the people are morons.

Maybe you should take a good, long look at yourself, the union political system, and the campaign that you ran, and wonder whether just maybe, the fault lies with the system rather than the voters.

• “Should he be the one to make sure that we continue to receive funding from the university for redevelopment?” I do not believe the redevelopment is under doubt. No matter who the President is such things would continue as is. Generally the status quo will remain unchanged even if a baboon were to hold office.

“Should he be the one to continue to work with other unions to lobby the UK government to get rid of international student working visa’s?” No, but then again I don’t think any of the other candidates have promised such things.

But I will concede that on the people skills front, Ross would be a catastrophic failure. Though I still do not think it was moronic to vote for him. What other choices did I have? Spoil my paper? That would just expedite the election of one of the other blander than bland candidates with their rehashed or ill thought-out policies.