St Andrews to host BBC radio debate

0

BBC Radio Scotland’s programme, Brian Taylor’s Big Debate, is set to come to St Andrews next Friday 22 February.

The 60-minute political discussion show will be broadcast live in Parliament Hall at 11:30am. It’s host, Brian Taylor, is BBC Scotland’s political editor and a graduate of the University of St Andrews.

Principal and Vice-Chancellor Louise Richardson is confirmed as one of the programme’s panel members. Other confirmed panelists include St Andrews graduate and former president of the Students’ Association, Labour MEP Catherine Stihler and David Clegg, political editor for the Scottish Daily Record.

The programme travels to a different area of Scotland each week and involves Taylor chairing a debate of panel experts on politics, business, science and arts, and a live audience who asks the panel questions.

Taylor has already visited over 40 Scottish towns with the programme. Previous panel members have included former Bishop of Edinburgh, Richard Holloway, and the Director of Edinburgh International Festival, Jonathan Mills.

A BBC spokesman told The Citizen: “We look for questions on the most stimulating moral, political and social issues of the day so the programme gives the public the opportunity to challenge political policy makers, writers and thinkers.

”Questions should be brief and to the point, if possible, and can be on any topic they like.

“As the programme broadcasts to a Scotland-wide audience, we look for issues that raise matters of genuine national interest.”

Anyone interested in attending should complete a form on the BBC’s website by Thursday 21 February.