Scottish Government approves plans for new £20m golf course in St Andrews

0
Photo: SAIGC
Photo: SAIGC
Photo: SAIGC

A brand new £20 million golf course and clubhouse will be built near St Andrews, following approval by the Scottish government.

The decision was taken after the St Andrews International Golf Club (SAIGC) appealed to the Government over the length of time Fife Council was taking to make a decision.

The construction of the Feddinch Mains golf course, which was de­signed by 1973 Open winner, Tom Weiskopf, will require demolishing farm buildings. The proposed club­house will include a restaurant, 41 ac­commodation rooms with a capacity to house 160 people, and a shop.

A spokesman for the SAIGC said the club was “delighted” that plans for the golf course and clubhouse have finally been approved.

The SAIGC had already submitted an application for the 244-acre Fed­dinch site, south of St Andrews, in De­cember 2011. However, the club was later forced to appeal to the Scottish Government as it felt Fife Council was taking too long to make a decision.

The planning agreement was nego­tiated by Fife Council, planning agent Colliers International and solicitors Shepherd and Wedderburn.

Associate director at Colliers Inter­national, Neil Gray, said the develop­ment was a “significant milestone in the Feddinch project”.