Cricket Scotland announced their squad on Monday for their Intercontinental Cup and World Cricket League games against Afghanistan. It included several uncapped players, several of whom had not previously been eligible for selection, but since the ICC relaxed their regulations on selection to allow players with a Scottish parent as opposed to a level of residency or birthright to be called up, players such as Yorkshire’s Iain Wardlaw, Northants ‘keeper David Murphy, and Sussex’s Matt Machan, and Rob Taylor of Leicestershire have all been brought into the squad.

The announcement has not been received without controversy – 38-year-old allrounder Neil Carter has been called up, despite having officially retired from county cricket. is selection is seen as something of a slap in the face but some members of the Scottish cricket community. Speaking to CricketEurope4.net, one ex-international cricketer claimed that the move “sends out all the wrong signals to the guys who work their backsides off in Scotland”. In emotive terms, the player, who requested anonymity, blasted Carter’s ability, and given his age and lack of form, questioned whether he should be going at all.

Cricket Scotland could not be reached for comment, however, it is fair to say that the thinking behind the move is likely to be such that Carter can act as a senior pro to what is a relatively young squad going on a long tour to a very unfamiliar part of the world, perhaps even grooming Carter for a role on Pete Steindl’s coaching staff when he finally fully retires from cricket.

Scotland squad to play Afghanistan
Richie Berrington, Neil Carter, Kyle Coetzer, Josh Davey, Gordon Drummond (captain), Gordon Goudie, Majid Haq, Moneeb Iqbal, Matt Machan, Calum MacLeod, David Murphy, Preston Mommsen, Safyaan Sharif, Rob Taylor, Iain Wardlaw

Fixtures
February 23, UAE Blues, Sharjah, 50-over warm up
February 26, UAE Blues, Abu Dhabi, 50-over warm up
February 28, UAE Blues, Dubai, 50-over warm up
March 3, Afghanistan, T20, Sharjah
March 4, Afghanistan, T20, Sharjah
March 6, Afghanistan, World Cricket League, Sharjah
March 8, Afghanistan, World Cricket League, Sharjah
March 12-15, Afghanistan, Intercontinental Cup, Abu Dhabi