Saints men’s hockey promoted in emphatic style

0

St Andrews managed to secure the league title and promotion to the BUCS Scottish 1A league today with an impressive 7-0 victory over Abertay. They went into this match needing only a point, and did not disappoint, winning the match in some style at the Sports Centre.

While St Andrews started off trying to pass the ball around and keep possession, the hosts seemed unable to keep the ball when attacking, which led to numerous counter-attacks from the visitors.

The first quarter of an hour followed this pattern, with Abertay arguably creating the better chances on the break, but they were unable to convert these opportunities into anything meaningful. However, after a defensive mistake, St Andrews stole in for their first on 17 minutes.

After this breakthrough, St Andrews seemed better able to keep the ball on a slow pitch, using shorter passing and quick movement to work their way through the defence. The second goal came just ten minutes later from a penalty corner, with the third following shortly afterwards.

The pressure continued, and whenever the away side got anything like a chance, it was quickly snuffed out by the impressive St Andrews goalkeeper and his defenders.

The second half started brightly, and St Andrews added a fourth just a minute in after some brilliant forward play. Abertay continued to try hard, but an own goal followed by a tap in for St Andrews, both within 10 minutes of the fourth meant that it was never going to be their day.

Both teams continued to work hard for the final 25 minutes, but fatigue and frustration began to factor, and just a few minutes before the final whistle, a second own goal summed up Abertay’s afternoon. Even a late penalty corner in their favour failed to produce any consolation, and the hosts managed to preserve their clean sheet to add to their league victory.

A full match report and reaction from the players and coach will be included in next week’s copy of The Saint.