RAG Week paints St Andrews purple

0

RAG

In the second week of the semester, pur­ple descended on St Andrews for RAG Week 2013. It was the culmination of a huge group effort from so many dif­ferent people, who all came together to produce an exciting and frantic week of events for the six nominated charities of the Charities Campaign.

RAG Week kicked off with Clan War­fare on Friday night, a popular event that set the tone for the rest of the week, while in Venue 2 there was a comedy stand-up night run by Comedy Society. Sin City returned to the Union on Satur­day night, and kindly donated all of the proceeds to the RAG Week total.

Fine Food Fayre, which was held on Sunday, was the product of months of hard work and planning by the com­mittee. On Sunday night, Music is Love held a relaxed evening in Venue 1 fea­turing the Pictish Trail and Eagleowl, who were supported by Andrew Pear­son and the Riflebirds.

Monday night brought a ceilidh to Venue 1, held in collaboration with Class Gift 2013, as well as a poker night run by Poker Society in Venue 2.

Mr St Andrews was held on Tuesday evening; the annual contest to find ‘the best guys St Andrews has to offer’, com­plete with condoms, whipped cream and cucumbers. Kyle Blain, Mr Race2, was crowned Mr St Andrews after sev­eral rounds of challenges.

On Wednesday afternoon, Baking Society held their inaugural RAG Week Tea Party in Venue 2, offering a large array of baked goods. On Wednesday night, Ultimate Sinners was held at the union.

Thursday night saw another RAG Week tradition, St Andrews Got Talent. First year Robert Dixon, who wowed the crowd by balancing a chair on his chin while playing the ukulele.

On Friday night, Disney Bop, an an­nual sell-out event, included the release of 2500 balloons The week’s finale was Catwalk, a riotous celebration of St An­drews’ fashion, and another sell-out.

The running total for money raised, announced live on STAR this week, was £20,802.36.