Race you 2 Prague…

0

Planning for Race2 Prague began back in April 2012 as we considered how far away we could take the race and where the popular destinations would be.  As we held our information evening for Race2 at the beginning of semester 1, we struggled to fit everyone into the Venue and so at that point, we knew Prague had been a good choice. Setting up the Launch Night in the Rule in October, it suddenly hit 8pm and Race2 Prague was launched, just not quite as we expected. From the very beginning of the night, the sign-up queue stretched all the way out the door and before we knew it, we had sold out all 200 places in an hour and a half and already had a long waiting list forming.  From then on it was just a countdown to race day in January.

The race could not have gone much better with every team that set off from St Andrews on the morning of the 18th making it all the way to Prague- a first, we think, for a Race 2 event. Despite Prague being the furthest east we have ever taken the Race, and the severe weather warnings issued the night before, our winning team of Tom and Dougal showed everyone how it could be done by completing the race in less than 34 hours. Over the next 4 days every team crossed the finish line and made it into the hostel eager to know their placing and how well they did. As the race unfolded via our hugely popular interactive map, we received emails and messages from those who gave lifts commending our racers on their commitment and enthusiasm in firstly attempting such an event, but also for their dedication in raising money for our 6 amazing charities.

Race2 5

Whilst organising the race was an incredible experience for me, it is only when the racers come piling into the hostel, eager to tell us their racing stories, that we really began to appreciate how great the Race2 events are. With every journey different, it is great to hear stories about teams being invited to 60th birthday parties, or of complete strangers forking out over 5oo euros on train tickets just to help get our teams there. Of course the race is not quite over yet as we have our Sponsorship collection on the 6th February, in the midst of RAG week, where we hope to beat last year’s total of £36,000. We are confident we can, but are relying on our racers to pull in the money and the generosity of the student body to help us reach our target.

Naturally an event like Race2 would not take place without the help of many supporters so thanks must be given to the whole of the Charities Committee, Coordinators and Convenors past and present, and especially to the Race2 Safety Team for their support and help.

Race2 continues, however, with Jailbreak taking place on March 16th-17th and our Launch Night and Jailbreak Bop on February 15th! If you missed out on Race2 Prague, then look out for the posters coming soon or email jailbreak@ for more information.