Bunting A4

Scotland’s biggest student-run arts festival, On The Rocks, is set for a return in April and the organisers are on the lookout for volunteers to get involved.

With events which touch on all aspects of the arts and culture world –  including art, photography, film, theatre, dance, fashion, music and comedy – the event has drawn the attention of some esteemed and influential actors over the past 5 years, since its inception in 2009. Current Patrons of the festival include Sir Sean Connery, Dame Judi Dench, Joanna Lumley and Simon Pegg.

The event was conceived with the intention of not only showcasing the talent of St Andrews based filmmakers and dramatists but also to provide an opportunity for artists, photographers, musicians and comedians to demonstrate their work and collaborate in an inclusive and community driven student project.

Last years’ festivities saw the screening of the award-winning film ‘Ebony Road’ by Maia Krall Fry and a special open air performance of Macbeth at St Andrews Castle, which also enjoyed a run at last year’s Edinburgh Festival Fringe.

For the 2013 festival, you can look forward to a lot more. 30 separate events, including a week-long radio play on STAR, an Acapella concert at Holy Trinity Church, as well as the much anticipated Sitara and Half Cut Film Festival.

A new addition to the festival this year comes in the form of the Big Top Ball, a circus themed bash which will see all proceeds donated to the Charities Campaign.

As the excitement builds and the acts perfect their performances over the next few weeks, the On The Rocks committee are going to be busy finalising the schedule and rigging out every inch of exhibition space that St Andrews has to offer.

You can lend a hand by volunteering – the committee are in search of ushers, box office staff and general assistants. Applications are open now at www.ontherocksfestival.comAlternatively, you can contact the On The Rocks volunteer co-ordinator Kathryn Cherkas on kcc@st-andrews.ac.uk with any questions.

OTR volunteer