RAG Fine Food Fayre

0

The RAG Fine Food Fayre takes place in Younger Hall this Sunday (3 February). We asked the Fine Food and Dining Society to preview the event, and here are the fruits of their labours…

RAG image 2The Fine Food Fayre is part of RAG Week, in association with the Fine Food and Dining Society. We will be celebrating delicious produce from within the local area and nationally, but also exotic goods from the huge variety of societies within the University.

We are holding this wonderful event to raise as much money as possible for the six charities adopted by St Andrews Charities Campaign for this academic year: Families First, Children’s Hospice Association Scotland, The Royal National Lifeboat Institution, Macmillan Cancer Support, Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres and Médicins Sans Frontiéres.

This is the second year running that the Fine Food Fayre has been part of RAG Week and this year it will be bigger, better and provide something for everyone living in or visiting St Andrews and Fife, not just the students of the University.

To really make it an enjoyable day for the local community (not just for students), we have a mixture of businesses and societies. These include The Cocoa Tree, featuring unusual chocolate flavours, and Dunkeld Smoked Salmon, which was served at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee lunch at Scone Palace, Perth.

We are also fortunate to have Build Rwanda, a business that encourages the development of the entrepreneurial spirit in Rwanda by promoting African food and drink. They will provide a rare opportunity to try African-inspired sauces and jams.

Furthermore, we are privileged to have a number of unique societies taking part, such as the Malaysian Society and the Polish Society. Rumour has it, the Japanese Society are going to be making green tea alongside Japanese snacks and sweets. In addition, the Fine Food and Dining Society will be putting on cooking demonstrations every hour, and interactive activities involving chopsticks.

We will be providing entertainment throughout the day, and we have just confirmed that The Hummingbirds, a student a cappella group, will be in attendance. Their songs will be complemented by a jazz band, playing soothing tunes throughout the day.

There will also be a raffle, with some tempting prizes. The best prize is a weekend in Burgundy, France, the home of mouth-watering French wine. Other prizes include a round of golf for 4 on the Fairmont’s Torrance or Kittocks Course, Magimix Le Mini Plus food processor, afternoon tea for two at Balgove Larder, some rare editions of Jane Eyre, a Rocca food hamper, lunch or dinner for two at The Adamson, vouchers at Pots and Pans and bottles of wine.

The Fine Food Fayre will, quite simply, be a charitable and memorable day for everybody in the St Andrews community and Fife. Come along to Younger Hall on Sunday 3 February, 11-5pm, to embrace what will most definitely be a ‘food’ heaven, but also to be covered in RAG purple for the worthwhile causes that we will be raising money for. And, because we want Fine Food Fayre to be for students and families alike, tickets are £3 for adults and free for under 16s.

For further details please contact v.albrecht@stafoodfayre.co.uk or ref22@st-andrews.ac.uk, or visit the Facebook page. For more details on the Fine Food and Dining Society, see this link.

Businesses attending:

La petite epicerie (French deli)
Days Gone Bye (jams and preserves)
Trotters (condiments)
Cullisse (rapeseed oil)
Simply Add Chili (chilli pots)
Migrations Foods (olive oil)
The Cocoa Tree shop (chocolate goods)
Hudson Home Bakery
Eden Brewery
Olives and Thingz (Mediterranean foods)
Scrumptious Cupcakes
Supernature (rapeseed oil)
Alchemy and Cake (gluten-free cake)
Build Rwanda (African sauces and cakes)
St Andrews Wine
St Andrews Brewery
Miss IntegriTea (herbal medicinal teas)
Dunkeld Smoked Salmon
Aberfeldy Oatmeal (oat biscuits and bread)
Scottish Organic Milk
Zest (salads )
Rocca (Italian deli)
St Andrews Tea (Darjeeling tea)
Jannettas (ice cream)
St Andrews Farmhouse Cheese