The Mo Show Interview: I moustache you a question, but I’ll shave it for later….

0
Movember Lineup

So it’s now officially November. Yes, I know I’m ten days late, but it only counts when there’s the sudden appearance of facial hair on practically every guy in town. Movember has hit St Andrews hard this year, and the bubble is doing it’s bit to spread awareness and raise money, but not just through growing moustaches…

Movember Lineup

For those of you who don’t know, Movember is an annual month-long event to promote issues surrounding men’s health. They particularly focus on prostate and testicular cancer, and those who take part are known as Mo Bros.

Be aware though, there are strict rules surrounding the style of the mo: “There is to be no joining of the mo to the sideburns (that’s considered a beard), there’s to be no joining of the handlebars to the chin (that’s considered a goatee), and each Mo Bro must conduct himself like a true gentleman.”

The Mo Show, hosted by The Retrophobes, is coming up on the 25th and looks set to be a perfect way to round off the month. This event will showcase some of the best music in St Andrews with a great lineup including The Dirty Hemmingways, The Big Band, The Snares, The Hummingbirds, Ghost Pony and Oscar Swedrup. With genres from acoustic to a capella to blues rock and cover songs alongside originals, you’re bound to hear something you like.

We found out a little bit more from Andy Clark, the lead guitarist of The Retrophobes and organiser of The Mo Show. He attributed his motivation in supporting Movember to his father, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer after a coincidental health check. It was caught early, and the cancer entirely removed, but the “mortality flash” inspired him, changing his view on life and looking after himself.

“Movember is exciting and passionate, and not about just the big scary C word,” said Clark. “The Mo Show should just be fun. It’s all about brilliant people, good music, having a great time and raising some money too.” He wanted a range of local music to perform in the show, so there’s something for everyone.

His own band, The Retrophobes, officially formed in January and consists of Andy Clark, Dan Craig (drums), Phil Holmes (lead vocals/guitar) and Fraser Dunlop (bass). They have played at numerous venues, including the New Inn, Aikmans and The Blue Stane. They currently have six and a half original songs (yes, you can have just half a song) and are looking forward to recording an EP in the near future. He insists that their covers are a bit different, with the aim of having fun and introducing people to music that they haven’t come across before.

So, Venue 1, Sunday 25th November. Tickets will be £4.00 on the door. See you there as I moustache!

Keep calm and bubble on! xxx

Photo Credit: Andy Clark