Saints take a tough loss

0
Photo by Gary Cooper

St Andrews Mens Lacrosse played Edinburgh City last Saturday. Edinburgh City posted an 11-9 victory over the Saints in a heated competition. The score went back and forth — the Saints giving up a slim, early lead but mounting a comeback push that just fell short. Down by one in the fourth quarter, the Saints briefly brought the game to even until Edinburgh City put a pair in the net, closing out the final two minutes. It was a tough loss to take for the Saints, and their first of the season. St Andrews, in the midst of a dominant drive through their regular season, are not accustomed to loosing. Though the Saint’s took the loss in stride, they are already rebounding for a run towards the playoffs and a rematch next term.

On offense, the Saints managed to control the pace of play. Liam Gallagher (’16), Henry Eshelman (’14), Cameron O’Neil (’14), Hugo Francis (’16), and Chirs Andrews (’16) all put in great efforts. Veteran midfielder Peter Muench (’12) played a heavy, physical game, possessing some crucial ground balls and clearing well. He was awarded the Saints’ Man-of-the-Match for his efforts. While Andrew Shen (’14) had another solid showing in goal, his was one of the few highlights in an otherwise lackluster defensive effort. Uncharacteristic for the Saints, they let the game getaway from them on defense, allowing soft shots from the wings and uncontested feeds to the crease. Credit should be given to the Saints’ third-line, especially Ashton Whitcomb (’13) and Samuel McCulloch (’13), who stayed dedicatedly in support of their teammates despite limited field time.

Edinburgh City returned to St Andrews in good form, successfully following-up on their last outing against the Saints during Pre-Season. Age, experience,and size gave Edinburgh the advantage over St Andrews on both occasions, though the Saints posed a much more formidable foe this round than in their nascent incarnation at Pre-Season. There was little love lost between the two teams, and on more than one occasion the benevolence of the two referees was stretched as they were left relatively helpless trying to simmer everyone down. Overall, it was a highly competitive match and a heartbreaking loss for the Saints. The Saints look forward to a challenge, however, and will be making sure that won’t happen again.