Tomorrow I am throwing myself off a precipice and into a deep lagoon. For some reason unbeknown to me, I have willingly agreed to roast the Thanksgiving turkey on behalf of my American brethren. I would like to point out that they themselves were not confident enough to attempt wrestling with the birdy.

I’ve always believed when cooking, that if in doubt, just go with your instincts and always use a lot of butter. So here’s how I’m going to cook a (hopefully wonderful) roast turkey.

You need to make sure that the turkey is free from any innards lurking inside of it… and once you’ve made sure of that you can get going. I’ve decided to place some halved oranges, thyme, and butter in the cavity, so that the meat will be infused with a fresh and herby aroma. Then I will use my hands to push garlic and herb butter under the skin, which should keep the breast meat moist and flavoursome. Make sure to season the skin well, and then you’re ready to put it into the oven.

Make sure that you sit the bird on top of a wire rack inside of the baking tray, so that it will cook evenly on all sides. The oven should be set to around 180C, and you should cover the turkey with tin foil until the final hour of cooking. If your turkey weighs 4kg, then it should take around 3hrs 20mins to cook, but you can test this by piercing the thigh at regular intervals until the juices run clear.

When it is cooked through, leave to rest for half an hour and then get carving! Or if you’re cooking for someone else like I am, make the mad dash across town wielding a hot turkey – I’ll try not to drop it…

Photo credit: Taste of Home