Fight and win – Gladiators go down

0
Photo by Dale Gillard
Photo by Dale Gillard

The St Andrews Mens Lacrosse Club went to Aberdeen on Saturday and beat the Granite City Gladiators.  In their inaugural match of the season, the Gladiators had few substitutes, but with an exceptional goal keeper and a couple of offensive threats, stayed fairly competitive throughout.  Many of the starting players for St Andrews chose to stay home for the end of term crunch time—but those who went did the club proud and brought home another win.

Though the game got off to a slow start, the Saints stayed positive and were finally able to find a way to the back of the net, ultimately leading in a 13-3 victory.  On defense, lack of action during the early quarters showed later on, as two of the Gladiator’s three goals were conceded in the second half.  Play may have been acquiescent in parts, but the Saints saw great looks from Xandy Walsh (’15), Chris Andrews’ (’16) feeding, and Patrick Monahahn (’16) on face offs.  Samuel McCulloch (’13) initiated some impressive dodges towards the crease, and Ashton Whitcomb (’13) had an impressive debut at close-defense, looking consistent and confident with a long-stick.

The match was a fun outing on a beautiful day—and, as always, the coastal drive down from Aberdeen provided a breathtaking view.  JSA Paul Traver from Brown received a well earned accolade as Man-of-the-Match.  St Andrews plays University of Stirling next week and will have their first BUCS Trophy match before break.