Table Tennis

Once again the club attained great success in the SSS Premier Division, winning the league and becoming Scottish National Champions for a third consecutive year.

Despite winning the previous two years with ease, this year was a much harder league and included an Edinburgh team containing a professional Scottish National Team player and another former Scottish International.

Michael Hahn and Prab Leelayudth provided the backbone of the team, remaining undefeated until their final fixture against Edinburgh, with both being able to give credible performances and win one set against Edinburgh’s international player. Jon Wong was also a strong player throughout the season and managed to secure one win against Edinburgh which proved crucial to winning the title.

The team also benefited from strong performances from Bjoern Meyer and Ben Robinson. The team is now looking forward to the British Cup with the hope of reaching the semi-finals which would qualify the team for the European University’s Championships – an aim which was narrowly missed last year; the play-offs near the end of the season will be the key to earning promotion to the British Premier league for next season.

Badminton

The team have had a solid start to the year. With strength in depth on the men’s side and some enthusiastic new women to bolster the team, the side have already wrapped up a Scottish Conference Cup pool win and are through to the next round.

In a very tight SSS division, the team have pulled out some fantastic away draws and are looking forward to improving upon these results at home. Most recently, we played a match against Heriot Watt with St Andrews winning that match 11-1.

St Andrews also recently held a hugely successful men’s and women’s singles championships in aid of Disability Sport Fife, raising £150, and hope to hold a similar charity doubles tournament in the second semester.

With a trip to the upcoming Scottish International Badminton Championships and plans for a mid-season training week in January, Badminton remain a very driven and active club and have set themselves up extremely well for a strong run-in to the end of the season.

Basketball

Saints Basketball got off to an amazing start this semester with a great bunch of new, keen recruits and captains Andy McIndoo and Hannah Rogers taking over the coaching helm.

The men’s team saw a huge number graduate in May, meaning that this year’s line-up is mostly made up from new faces. Unfortunately, this inexperience has shown through in the BUCS away fixtures, though a nail-biting victory against Strathclyde at home (with Chris Nigh producing a heroic buzzer beater) revealed the potential waiting to be exploited.

A few home crowds and the game-time experience from the local fixtures could be all this team needs to shine. In the BUCS 2A league the young women’s team chalked up some solid victories, far outmatching Stirling, Abertay, Heriot-Watt and Glasgow 2nds.

The away fixtures against Edinburgh 2nds and Queen Margaret were hard-fought matches and frustratingly close losses for the team that had entered the season with such high hopes. The women have been training hard for the return fixtures and are looking forward to next semester which promises to be a busy one with the Fife and Tayside League getting into full swing and the next round of the BUCS Conference Cup to be played.

Cricket

Despite difficult training times and a damp summer season, the men’s Cricket Club has truly gone from strength to strength over the past few months.

Although the BUCS season does not start until April, attendance at training has been exemplary and the boys have been working hard under the tutelage of new coach and Scotland ‘A’ player Fraser Burnett. Furthermore, indoor fixtures have been part of our preparations, as the Seagulls qualified for the SSS Indoor 6s finals with two thumping victories in the Aberdeen qualifiers, meaning the side will go to finals day next year full of optimism.

During the inter-semester break, the team will go on their bi-annual tour; this year’s destination is Barbados which should provide a fantastic environment in which to play some top quality opposition and test ourselves in conditions far removed from the damp, cold fields of Scotland.

St Andrews currently sit 36th in the BUCS overall championship, which collates results from every participating sport to give each university an overall score, and 3rd in Scotland, behind leaders Edinburgh and close rivals Stirling. The Saint will be keeping a close eye on the battle for second in Scotland when fixtures resume in February.