1st XV seek revenge in capital Varsity Match

0

On Friday, Scotland’s two most historic Universities will take an age-old rivalry to London on St Andrew’s Day this year, when they meet for the annual Scottish Varsity game.

The unique fixture between the University of St Andrews and the University of Edinburgh dates back more than 150 years and predates the annual Oxford versus Cambridge Varsity played at Twickenham.

Crowds predicted in the thousands are expected to turn out to see the top men’s rugby sides in action at the event which will be hosted by London Scottish FC in West London.

After an excellent start to the season, The Saints have slipped to fourth in the RBS Caledonia Regional Division 1, to which they were promoted last year, while they sit third in BUCS Scottish Division 1. Their form has been distinctly inconsistent, and they travel to London off the back of a 35-16 defeat away to league leaders Aberdeen. They will be hoping to raise their game for the big occasion, and please the crowd.

Last season’s event saw more than 1,500 spectators attend, including former Scotland winger and London Scottish Director Kenny Logan and Strictly Come Dancing judge Alesha Dixon, when Edinburgh took home the trophy with a 32-0 victory.

Both Universities are leading the way in Scottish Rugby by each employing full-time members of staff to focus on their Rugby programmes. Director of Rugby at St Andrews, David Ross, has more than four years of experience working as one of Scottish Rugby’s Performance Development Managers and David Adamson, Edinburgh’s Rugby Development Officer, has risen quickly through Scottish Rugby’s Coach Education System.

Director of Rugby at the University of St Andrews David Ross said:

“This event shows the vision and professional attitude that both rugby programmes are delivering in their Universities, the potential to make this event one of the major rugby dates in the calendar is huge.

“For alumni living in the South East of England in particular, the game provides a great opportunity to celebrate St Andrews Day and have the chance to cheer on their old University’s current rugby squad against their ‘arch’ enemies.

“So grab your friends, your former class mates or former rivals and get down to Richmond to watch the game.”

Admission to the game, which kicks off at Richmond Athletic Ground at 7:30pm tomorrow night, is priced at £10 per ticket for adults, U16’s free, and includes post match entertainment until 2am.

Tickets can be purchased online at www.londonscottish.com