Rebecca Hay tells The Saint about an upcoming charity trek to Machu Picchu.

Did you know there is an international cancer charity based on South Street but funding projects in 15 different countries throughout the world? If you’re the average St Andrews student the answer is most probably no.

This year for the first time the Association for International Cancer Research (AICR) is asking students to help them fundraise for their fantastic cause by trekking to Machu Picchu. This opportunity is open to all St Andrews students and promises to be both a rewarding and once-in-a-lifetime challenge.

So… now that I’ve got your attention, here’s the details. Volunteers will leave for the trek on 30 May 2013 and return on 16 June, therefore giving everyone enough time to have a summer job/internship and ensuring anyone who needs to be is back for graduation.

Each participant is required to raise £2925, which will be divided 50/50 between the costs of the trek itself and the charity. It’s a daunting amount I know but AICR are on hand to help come up with and support any ideas that you have, plus participants have until May to raise the money.

This time frame also includes 8 days of independent travel. This means having eight days to go to Lake Titicaca, the Amazon rainforest or simply chill in Cusco for eight days soaking up the amazing Peruvian culture.

If you’re interested, the next step is to contact me, as project team leader. I will be happy to answer any further questions you have or direct you to the Facebook and registration links. So if you know you want to come (you’d be crazy not to!) or if you’re undecided, get in touch with me at rh527@st-andrews.ac.uk. Thank you!