St Andrews students take top prize at Undergraduate Awards

0
Photo Miladus Edenensis

The annual 2012 Undergraduate Awards has named three St Andrews students as winners, alongside a further 26 students being listed as highly commended.

The prestigious awards, which aim “to encourage a culture of excellence at an undergraduate level by supporting and celebrating the ideas of great, young minds,” received a total of 2,890 candidates for 2012.

The University of St Andrews had one of the most applicants from all British universities, further highlighting the achievement of our successful students in light of the fierce competition.

Judged by a network of international academics, the essays of winners Danielle Boobyer, Tiffany Harte and Rachael Seculer-Faber came top in their categories for Life Science, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, and Ancient and Classical Studies respectively.

Rachael Seculer-Faber, whose essay “What truths about India can be discerned by comparing 2nd-5th century Greek and Chinese depictions of India as a land of mystery and wisdom?” said of her motivation behind her winning research:

“My essay was written as part of a Classical Studies module on Ancient Travel and Exploration. When the course touched on Greek and Roman travel to the East I knew immediately that this was a topic I would want to explore further.

“I was keen to bring together two usually disparate fields of study in my research and go beyond the Latin and Greek cultures I had previously studied.”

Speaking of the fantastic achievement, a University spokesperson stated: “We’re delighted and proud that St Andrews students have done so well in these awards.

“To have 3 winners and a further 26 undergraduates highly commended is a fantastic reflection on all those who study and work here.”

All winners will their receive awards from the patron of the awards programme, Irish President Michael D Higgins, at the summit which will take place between the 7 and 10 December.

Self-titled a “Davos for students,” the summit will serve as a “three-day pop-up incubation centre for some of the world’s most exceptional young minds,” said Louise Hodgson, UA Programme Director.

It is a commendable achievement for the winners and the University alike that there will be three St Andrews students there this coming December.