Saints topple University of Edinburgh

0
Photo: Kirstie Macmillan

The Men’s Lacrosse Club from Edinburgh came to St Andrews on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon, but were sent home with a resounding 9-3 defeat.  The Saints, hosting their first home match of the season, had an unprecedented dilemma in a bulging roster of nearly thirty players.  Many saw limited game time on a bench with great depth, but those who had the chance proved their worth and gave strong individual efforts all around.

Freshman Hugo Francis (’16) was awarded honors as Man-of-the-Match for the Saints, while fellow first-years Liam Gallagher and Chris Andrews also had strong performances.  Mike Robinson (’15) and Hunter Kafcsak (’13) proved stalwart defenders at the midfield and defensive-end respectively.  Though there were bouts of unorganized subbing, the match exhibited good form from many new faces on the Saint’s roster.

Photo: Kirstie Macmillan

University of Edinburgh — winners of last year’s BUCS league title — are a strong team and historically the only Scottish club besides St Andrews to get an annual influx of players from North America.  While the Saints were able to control the game during periods of settled play on offense and consistency in defense, the short-handed Edinburgh side stayed competitive with only limited reserves.  The Saints look forward to what will likely be their toughest competition to-date, a home match against the Glasgow Lions next Saturday.