“Kum” Dine with Me: In the Autumn Drizzle

1

Cake is scrumptious. And I would urge you all listen greedily to this next recipe.  It’s a cinnamon and orange drizzle cake. A perfect cake for autumnal afternoons, when you just can’t take another moment spent under the fluorescent lighting of the library – and it tastes just wonderful with a cup of Lady Grey. The flavour combination is one of my own inventions, so I hope you will agree how lovely it is.

It’s simple to make, and is best eaten warm when all the orange & cinnamon sugar icing is still oozing over the sides. So get your mixing bowl at the ready.

What’s in it?

225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
4 eggs
Grated zest of ½ an orange
A small squeeze of the orange’s juice
2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I use a lot more, but it’s personal preference)

For the drizzle:
90g caster sugar
The juice of an orange
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

How do I make it?

Turn your oven on to about 180C. In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter and the caster sugar until it forms a much paler and creamy mixture (you can do this by hand with a wooden spoon and some effort or in a proper mixer if you’re lucky to own one). Now it’s time to add the eggs: do this slowly. I would suggest mixing one egg at a time into the batter. Sift in the 225g of self-raising flour, and combine all of this with the orange zest, a squeeze of juice and your desired quantity of cinnamon.  Et voila! That really wasn’t difficult.

Spoon all of this into a greased baking tin. I like to use a rectangular loaf tin, 21cm by 7cm, but it won’t matter if it’s slightly bigger or smaller. It depends what your cupboards and previous houseguests have to offer.

Place your loaf tin into the hot oven for 50 minutes. (You can check if it’s ready by sticking in a metal skewer. If there’s no cake batter stuck to it, the centre of your cake is cooked)

While the cake is baking, combine the 90g of sugar with the juice of an orange & the cinnamon. Don’t make it too runny, so add less juice if your orange is a biggun’.

When the cake is golden and smells delicious, take it out of the oven. Prick the top with a fork or skewer, and pour over the drizzle. Leave it to cool slightly before removing from the tin, but to be honest I am usually forced to remove it for serving before the steam has even ceased. Then enjoy with caution: it’s too easy to eat the whole thing.

Photo Credit: Natalie Kumeta & Caitlin Hamilton