Fife League: The supporters’ club

0

James Gray can’t get enough football…

On most Saturdays, I used to stay in bed till 11, listen to Fighting Talk on 5 Live, stagger out of bed, make some bacon, and then work out when and where I’m going to start drinking again. However, this year, I resolved to make use of my Saturdays. So every other week, I gather my friends and head down to the football pitches, where the 1st XI play their home games in the Fife League.

Anyone who has ever watched BUCS football will know that things are usually pretty tame. Both teams are pretty fit, technically good, but not brilliant, because the most talented footballers have disappeared off to try and make a pretty penny playing professional. That’s not to say it isn’t good to watch; it just feels quite artificial. The Fife League is very real in comparison. It is a bold decision of the football club to play in the league, which is run by the Fife Amateur Football Association, and involves teams from all corners of Fife. The opposition are not students; these are real men, with real jobs, and some of them see it as an opportunity to get some “revenge” on the world. And the students.

It’s a real challenge for some of the players, who might struggle to recognise the game played compared to the one they learned at home. However, it is remarkable to watch, as the team attempt to adapt from their Wednesday gameplan to the more physical, and usually more challenging Saturday fixture.

Along with a group of friends, I have become an avid Saints fan. This Saturday was one of the team’s best performances of the season, as they overcame the amusingly-named St Monans Swallows 5-1. We ‘Poznan’-ed with vigour, we chanted people’s names, and we abused opposition players for diving. We laughed, we cheered, we snorted.

Frankly, on a Saturday afternoon, it’s probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I would encourage everyone who has little else to do to join our hardcore supporters club on the sideline every other week. St Andrews currently sit third in the league, just outside the promotion places, and every voice will help cheer them to glory. Check The Saint Online for fixtures, match reports, and much much more.