Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Library opening hours to be increased

Library opening hours to be increased

The library is to increase its opening hours following pressure from student representatives. The changes, which will be made from week five of this semester, will see the building open from 8 am until 2 am every day during term time. This will provide students with an extra eight hours of study...

Read more →
  • The Kate Kennedy Club announces its annual Opening Ball

The Kate Kennedy Club announces its annual Opening Ball

When? Saturday 4 October Where? Lower College Lawn, St Salvator’s Quad Price? £35 With Freshers’ Week and the start of another semester at St Andrews rapidly approaching, incoming students should be on the lookout for more information on the Kate Kennedy Club’s time-honoured Opening Ball. The...

Read more →
  • “An event for everyone”: CROSSWALK 2014

“An event for everyone”: CROSSWALK 2014

When? Wednesday 17 September Where? Kinkell Byre Price? £25 With merely a week to go until semester one officially kicks off, event announcements are coming in thick and fast for the months ahead. If we’re honest, with the same string of annual events appearing year after year, it can start...

Read more →
  • Challenging the Ice Bucket Challenge

Challenging the Ice Bucket Challenge

As I see it, there are a number of problems with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Firstly, it breeds slacktivism – people using media trends to shirk more meaningful ways of charitable involvement and placing the benefits of appearing charitable to their friends or followers above the point of the campaign...

Read more →
  • Students “squeezed” into bedrooms to handle accommodation deficit

Students “squeezed” into bedrooms to handle accommodation deficit

A shortage of University accommodation means some new students will have to move into three- and four-person rooms in halls of residence, while freshers who live near St Andrews are having to stay at home. Meanwhile, some undergraduate students are being placed in postgraduate residences. In University...

Read more →