Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• On the Rocks: Cabaret review

On the Rocks: Cabaret review

Cabaret Dir. Taryn O’Connor Prod. Caroline Christie *** Just So’s On the Rocks offering this year was Cabaret, a musical set in a seedy nightclub in 1930s Berlin. While life may be ‘a cabaret, old chum’, none of the characters could escape the rise of the Nazi party, and one of Cabaret’s strongest...

Read more →
  • University publishes guide to UCU marking boycott

University publishes guide to UCU marking boycott

The University has published a guide outlining the steps it will take to protect students against the impending University and College Union (UCU) boycott. The guide outlines the background and potential consequences of the boycott, which is set to begin on 28 April unless an agreement can be made before...

Read more →
  • On the Rocks: Music is Love’s Spring Fling

On the Rocks: Music is Love’s Spring Fling

Music Is Love continued its On The Rocks presence in a big way on Saturday night. Selling over 100 tickets, MIL’s Spring Fling took place at the beer bar of Venue 1 of the Union. The bar was transformed into a Mediterranean-style getaway courtesy of art from ArtSoc, and hosted Italian-themed artists...

Read more →
  • Police warnings after two sexual assaults linked

Police warnings after two sexual assaults linked

Police have linked two sexual assaults that took place in St Andrews last week. A 27-year-old woman was sexually assaulted between 12:15 am and 2:10 am on Wednesday 9 April. She was seen walking with a man on Doubledykes Road at around 12:55 am. Last week, police appealed for witnesses after an indecent...

Read more →
  • Crisis in Ukraine: Russia’s annexation of Crimea

Crisis in Ukraine: Russia’s annexation of Crimea

Sevastopol, Ukraine where Russia’s Black Sea Naval Fleet is based. Photo: WikiCommons The situation in Ukraine has rapidly become one of the 21st century’s defining challenges. The crisis will likely have major ramifications for Russia, Europe, global actors such as NATO and ideas such as sovereignty....

Read more →