Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Autumn style essentials

Autumn style essentials

The season of pumpkin spice lattes and cosy oversized sweaters has finally fallen upon us. Summer has bid farewell and the chillier weather is reminding us that autumn is back in town. Many of us are probably already trying to alter our summer wardrobe to suit the upcoming colder and rainier weather...

Read more →
  • New arrivals and classics on Netflix

New arrivals and classics on Netflix

If your current workload is heavy, chances are you won’t be able to head to the cinema but that isn’t to say that you can’t catch a film if you’re in the mood – Netflix has hundreds of films available at the push of a button and the list is forever expanding. From recent hits you might...

Read more →
  • Beating fresher’s flu: a pre’s playlist

Beating fresher’s flu: a pre’s playlist

With Freshers’ Week a distant memory and the impending flu here to stay, The Saint provides a playlist to break those Week 3 blues. Ultralight Beam – Kanye West Start off with something from the Life of Pablo, an album heavily influenced by the union’s infamous beverage. This track opens...

Read more →
  • St Andrews Conservative society disafilliates from Students’ Association

St Andrews Conservative society disafilliates from Students’ Association

The society committee that was elected at the AGM in question / Photo: Michael Green The St Andrews Conservative Society has announced it will disaffiliate from the University of St Andrews Students’ Association. The decision was made in response to the Association authorising the cash office to sell...

Read more →
  • Locked in: Art in progress

Locked in: Art in progress

The vast number of St Andrews societies allows students to conjoin their various hobbies to further their creativity.  A prime example of this collaboration amongst the artists of St Andrews, is Art Soc’s biannual Creative Lock-In. This took place on the Friday of Freshers’ Week at the Barron...

Read more →