Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• His Duchess: Love, manipulation and questioned perceptions

His Duchess: Love, manipulation and questioned perceptions

This town specialises in small-scale student productions, yet with a cast of only three, His Duchess is undoubtedly the smallest I have ever seen. However, within two minutes of sitting down to watch their rehearsal I was entranced and hanging on to every word uttered. Elliot Douglas’ new play is...

Read more →
  • Antic Disposition: a 21st century comedic triumph

Antic Disposition: a 21st century comedic triumph

Catriona Scott’s new play Antic Disposition was extremely well attended, with several people even turned away due to the popularity. Sitting in the midst of the lucky ones who got to enjoy the play, I found myself incredibly excited despite not knowing what to expect. Antic Disposition was a different...

Read more →
  • The style of Opening Ball

The style of Opening Ball

Photo Credit: Lorelei Pfeffer Whether cocktail or full length, conservative or more creative, the Opening Ball standard was undoubtedly a wardrobe staple: the black dress. Elegant beadwork, vibrant sequins and lush lace spiced up the monotone. Among a sea of black dresses, the occasional backless gown...

Read more →
  • Tribes – A Review

Innovative, engaging, topical, and self-aware, Nina Raine’s award winning second play, Tribes, assiduously explores the central issues of communication and belonging, within not only the deaf community, but also the microcosm of the family unit. These two thematic strands are beautifully woven throughout...

Read more →
  • Equus preview: director Alexander Gillespie hopes it will be “theatrical dynamite”

Equus preview: director Alexander Gillespie hopes it will be “theatrical dynamite”

As director Alexander Gillespie states, many will know Peter Shaffer’s Equus as one of three things: “the play with Daniel Radcliffe, the play where Daniel Radcliffe gets naked, or the play where someone f*cks a horse,” of which only the former two points are true. In each case, however, the general...

Read more →