Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Scottish Parliament interviews: Willie Rennie, Liberal Democrat

Scottish Parliament interviews: Willie Rennie, Liberal Democrat

The Saint sat down with all the candidates in the constituency of North East Fife in today’s Scottish Parliamentary elections. Here’s what Willie Rennie, the local Liberal Democrat candidate and leader of the Scottish Lib Dems nationally, had to say on the issues important to students: On...

Read more →
  • Scottish Parliament interview: Huw Bell, Conservative

Scottish Parliament interview: Huw Bell, Conservative

The Saint sat down with all the candidates in the constituency of North East Fife in today’s Scottish Parliamentary elections. Here’s what Huw Bell, the Conservative candidate, had to say on the issues important to students: On why students should vote for him: First and foremost, I’m...

Read more →
  • Scottish Parliament interviews: Rosalind Garton, Labour

Scottish Parliament interviews: Rosalind Garton, Labour

The Saint sat down with all the candidates in the constituency of North East Fife in tomorrow’s Scottish Parliamentary elections. Here’s what Rosalind Garton, the Labour candidate, had to say on the issues important to students: On why students should vote for her and Labour: Because Scottish...

Read more →
  • Scottish Parliament interviews: Roderick Campbell, SNP

Scottish Parliament interviews: Roderick Campbell, SNP

The Saint sat down with all the candidates in the constituency of North East Fife in tomorrow’s Scottish Parliamentary elections. Here’s what Roderick Campbell, the incumbent Scottish National Party (SNP) candidate, had to say on the issues important to students: On tuition fees and why...

Read more →
  • St Andrews’ answer to Gossip Girl

St Andrews’ answer to Gossip Girl

“You took a swing at the Market Street flautist last night. The air was tight and you sort of missed. You wipe your hand on your club tie as you lean on the cashpoint and your breath steams the screen showing insufficient funds to complete this transaction. You try extending your overdraft but your...

Read more →