Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Under Canvas does not disappoint!

Under Canvas does not disappoint!

Photo: Lorcan O’Brien Nothing quite signals the approaching summer like the end of classes. This is perhaps why Saturday was the ideal time for the festival-inspired Under Canvas. Clear skies and warmer temperatures, dissertations done, and cares alleviated; the ingredients for a good night were...

Read more →
  • St Andrews Charity Polo Tournament: the event of the year?

St Andrews Charity Polo Tournament: the event of the year?

Photo: Daniil Lapko The expression “getting a bang for one’s buck” could definitely not be more fitting. Bright sun and a fresh spring breeze greeted me as I stepped off the bus and onto the grassy lawn of Errol Park Estate for a day of food, friends and polo. The St Andrews Charity...

Read more →
  • North Haugh ball: A second annual success?

North Haugh ball: A second annual success?

A marquee on the North Haugh is hardly the most eponymous location in which to hold a ball, though the name ‘The Second Annual North Haugh Ball’ does rather restrict the choice of location. Having seen that tickets were sold out and that even those from outside Agnes Blackadder and Andrew Melville...

Read more →
  • Memorial to be held for Garissa attack

Memorial to be held for Garissa attack

A memorial is to be held by students at the University in order to remember the 147 people killed in a militant assault on a university in Garissa in North East Kenya. The event will begin at 11 am on Monday 27 April in St Salvator’s Quad. The event will consist of a minute’s silence, with students...

Read more →
  • 36 hours in Seattle

36 hours in Seattle

The flight to Seattle takes several more hours than the flight to New York, and I can’t promise that you will be rewarded with weather as sunny as California upon arrival. But while the city may lack convenience and you might not leave with a perfect suntan, Seattle’s unique culture and geography...

Read more →