Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• How to train your dragon 2 review

How to train your dragon 2 review

How to Train Your Dragon 2 follows in the steps of the witty and occasionally dazzling 2010 instalment, catching up with weedy protagonist Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) as he perches precipitously between aerial exploration and adulthood. In this chapter, Hiccup’s quest to discover his inner identity leads...

Read more →
  • An opening ceremony to be loved

An opening ceremony to be loved

The Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony was the best thing I’ve watched on TV all summer. Ok, I understand that this event would perhaps not be everyone’s summer 2014 audiovisual highlight. And yet, despite stiff competition from football matches in Brazil and several episodes of Orange Is...

Read more →
  • West Sands has become health risk because of campervans, says councillor

West Sands has become health risk because of campervans, says councillor

Photo credit: Henry Legg Famed for its sprawling sand dunes, the two mile long expanse of West Sands that stretches out alongside the St Andrews Links is the last place you would expect to pose a health risk because of overcrowding. But a Fife councillor has complained that the free parking, summer weather...

Read more →
  • EIFF presents: Tony Benn: Will and Testament

EIFF presents: Tony Benn: Will and Testament

Tony Benn: Will and Testament is an intimate look at the life of British socialist, anti-war campaigner, husband, and father, Tony Benn, once called the ‘most dangerous man in Britain.’ The film received its world premiere at the Edinburgh International Film Festival with its premiere selling out...

Read more →
  • Students take to the stands as Rory romps to victory

Students take to the stands as Rory romps to victory

Last Sunday the world watched as Rory Mcilroy raised the fabled Claret Jug on the links at Royal Liverpool in Hoylake. People swarmed around televisions whilst the fairways and greens were surrounded with expected spectators. On the grandstands at the 18th green however, the members of the University...

Read more →