Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

With an explosion of mischief and mayhem that absolutely dazzles, the wizarding world we know and love is back. Taking us across to New York and back in time to the Roaring Twenties, Rowling, with her own screenplay, shows us the realm of Harry Potter like we’ve never seen it before – but with...

Read more →
  • Review: Label: My Body

Review: Label: My Body

Image: Label Inspired by The Vagina Monologues, Label brought us a new event in the Label calendar – My Body, which explored our relationship with our bodies, sexuality and love. The subjects were diverse, but were united under the umbrella of Label’s mission of experience-exploration and its...

Read more →
  • Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Photo: Ian Cameron Students from across Scotland gathered in Dundee last Saturday to compete in an inter-university Taekwon-do competition hosted by St Andrews instructors. This competition had representatives from the Universities of St Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, and what we like to call...

Read more →
  • A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

Photo: Saints Rugby Leaving home is never easy. The University of St Andrews Men’s Rugby team learned that the hard way last season, facing arduous trips to Nottingham, Worcester, Loughborough and Birmingham. Those trips took their toll on the players and they were unable to really make a fist of the...

Read more →
  • Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

The Mermaid’s annual Christmas Ball put its best foot forward, and so did the guests, but in a bit of a more literal sense. Unlike themes of the past few years, such as Harry Potter, Narnia, and Willy Wonka, this years was a bit more Christmas geared; featuring The Nightmare Before Christmas. The committee...

Read more →