Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Sandy’s Bar last Tuesday evening was a platform for the A Cappella realm of the St Andrew’s scene. Over the past week, RAG has given host to many a charitable event, with this being no different. The A Cappella Society’s ‘Sofa Sessions’ sought to provide a fun and enjoyable way of raising money...

Read more →
  • RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

St Andrews Got Talent kicked off with a pleasant surprise from one of the event’s sponsors, Barefoot Wines, having shown up with every student’s dream: a variety of free alcohol on offer. After being ushered to our seats, it was difficult not to be somewhat envious of the front tables and their...

Read more →
  • Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Studio 54, as a name synonymous with all the glitter and glamour of the late seventies, raised expectations with promises of Dionysian glory and rich excess. True to form, the GIG delivered on these promises with a night worthy of the legend it sought to emulate. Although placed on a Thursday night...

Read more →
  • Sinners review: a worrying culture

I have to start with a confession: as a fourth year I have not been to Sinners since at least my second year. For me, Sinners conjures up memories of ridiculous costumes, long queues for drinks, pushing and shoving and a sticky, sweaty dance floor. With the recent refurbishment of the Union and...

Read more →
  • Busting the myth of the Calais jungle

Busting the myth of the Calais jungle

Photo: Laura Craig Harvey Two blondes in a small blue car drive into the refugee camp. Is this a new blonde joke? Seeking out the high vis-jacketed volunteers, they enquire: “Excuse me. We have come to help the refugees. Where should we go?” This was indeed a joke. But one that is also a true story,...

Read more →