Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Irn Bru, online shopping and reintroducing caning for Conservatives: the other side of Alex Salmond

Irn Bru, online shopping and reintroducing caning for Conservatives: the other side of Alex Salmond

Photo: Jan Cutting At one end of a Scottish Parliamentary office sits a pristine copy of Murray Pittock’s The road to independence? Perched on top of it is a slightly better thumbed edition of 50 people who screwed up Scotland. It just so happens that the office’s occupant is 47th on the list. He...

Read more →
  • Saints Hockey head coach receives national award

Saints Hockey head coach receives national award

The University of St Andrews Hockey Club has enjoyed a lot of success both on and off the field in the last couple of years, including promotions, cup runs, and the constant staving-off of relegation in a variety of BUCS leagues, as well as receiving Saints Sport’s Club of the Year award last year. Now...

Read more →
  • Astronomy PhD student admits sexual assaults

Astronomy PhD student admits sexual assaults

Pasquale Galianni, an astronomy PhD student at St Andrews, has admitted to carrying out two sex assaults at the North Haugh. Mr Galianni was placed on the sex offenders register by judge Lord Burns at the High Court in Glasgow today (18 December) but his sentence has been deferred. Halfway through his...

Read more →
  • Scotland’s richest woman makes £1m donation to St Andrews Malawi project

Scotland’s richest woman makes £1m donation to St Andrews Malawi project

Ann Gloag OBE, co-founder of the transport company Stagecoach and the richest woman in Scotland, will donate £1 million to help the launch of the University of St Andrews’ new Global Healthcare Implementation Programme. The programme is the result of a partnership with the Malawi College of Medicine...

Read more →
  • Feliz Madridad

Feliz Madridad

Christmas: a time of food, festivities and faked enthusiasm for distant relatives. At my Madrid primary school, term is slowly winding down, whilst the downtown streets Gran Vía and Calle Mayor are lined with decorations. Though the large, generic tree in Madrid’s central Plaza de Sol indicates...

Read more →