Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• St Andrews research scientist contributes to Mars exploration programme

St Andrews research scientist contributes to Mars exploration programme

A group of scientists, including a St Andrews researcher, completed a mission on Monday 29 September that simulates the human experience of surviving on Mars. As part of a NASA-funded simulated mission to Mars, six volunteer scientists have spent the last year in a specially-constructed dome on a Hawaiian...

Read more →
  • The return of the Old Firm

The return of the Old Firm

On Saturday 10 September millions of people will be tuning into one of the most highly anticipated Manchester derbies in recent memory. Both Manchester teams are in the midst of a Renaissance and these star-studded sides will no doubt seek to establish a winning precedent in the first Manchester derby...

Read more →
  • Was Rio 2016 really worth it?

Was Rio 2016 really worth it?

After a Closing Ceremony that most would have slept through and few watched, the 2016 Olympic Games are over. There were times in the preceding years when some even doubted whether the Games would procced for the first time ever in South America; unfinished stadiums, dubiously coloured diving pools,...

Read more →
  • Rio 2016 brings Team GB’s finest hour

Rio 2016 brings Team GB’s finest hour

So that’s it. As the sun went down in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday 21 August, the games of the XXXI Olympiad drew to a close. The Games were the first to be held in South America and faced the onerous task of following the organisational precision of London 2012. Whilst the Brazilians were always going...

Read more →
  • Debris litters shores of East Sands, visitors warned to avoid water

Debris litters shores of East Sands, visitors warned to avoid water

East Sands is officially closed for business: Visitors have been told to avoid the waters of the local beach after its shores were covered by between 40 and 50 piles of silt. The debris, which according to Fife Today was deposited by a contractor this past weekend, came from Kinness Burn and St Andrews...

Read more →