Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Joining the ranks of the disengaged youth

Joining the ranks of the disengaged youth

My own mother has never once revealed to me what she has voted for. Never once said to me how she has voted in any council, general or European election. The Scottish referendum is no exception: my mum just won’t budge on this policy. And today I’ve decided to follow her lead. As a small child, questioning...

Read more →
  • The Saint’s Playlist

The Saint’s Playlist

As Freshers’ Week ends for another year and you bask in the afterglow of 10 nights out in a row, here are some tracks to wake you up and calm you down. Snagging a track of off U2’s new- est album released just a few days ago and juicing up the pain with some blues, this playlist will help you...

Read more →
  • Vote does nothing to reform mysoginistic R&A

Vote does nothing to reform mysoginistic R&A

In a week of near-unparalleled importance in Scotland’s democratic story, one historically pivotal referendum has slipped under the radar. Whilst 4.3 million Scots pondered whether their goals and values are better represented by staying in the Union, or by going it alone, 2,400 members of an elite...

Read more →
  • Pret A Manger coming to St Andrews

Pret A Manger coming to St Andrews

Pret A Manger has recently announced that the newest addition to its collection of sandwich shops will be in St Andrews. Ambitious expansion plans have seen the 352-strong chain move into Asia and North America over the past few years as it continues to capitalise on its strong financial performance. On...

Read more →
  • A row for charity

A row for charity

Thursday 12 to Friday 13 September saw the St Andrews Boat Club go the extra mile, or to be precise, the extra 330, 508 kilometres, in the name of charity. Starting at noon on the Thursday of Freshers’ Week the Boat Club ‘erged’, the technical term for rowing on a mechanical machine, for 24 hours...

Read more →