Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Introducing: St Andrews Against Slavery

Introducing: St Andrews Against Slavery

// Photo: Alyssa Chafee Photo: Alyssa Chafee Photo: Alyssa Chafee Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo:...

Read more →
  • Donations slump by £3m despite 600th celebrations

Donations slump by £3m despite 600th celebrations

Though last September saw the climax of the St Andrews’ 600th anniversary celebrations, donations to the University fell by over £3 million compares to the last academic year. According to a Freedom of Information request submitted by The Saint, the total donations made throughout the year stood...

Read more →
  • “Arrogant” Charities Campaign committee slammed over cap on support for charities

“Arrogant” Charities Campaign committee slammed over cap on support for charities

A decision by the Charities Campaign to prevent charities receiving support over consecutive years has been called “frankly ridiculous” by one of the societies affected. The St Andrews Friends of Médecins Sans Frontières group (FoMSF), which raises money and awareness locally for the international...

Read more →
  • Peon Icon: I do solemnly swear…

Peon Icon: I do solemnly swear…

It’s not what it looks like. He stole from me. Besides, it was an accident. I mean, what’s a chisel in the lung between friends? Fine, I did it, okay? But he should never have been voted class rep. I was just correcting a miscarriage of democracy. There I was, waiting to give my speech. I was up...

Read more →
  • The curious case of the St Andrews student

The curious case of the St Andrews student

The idea of an ‘average’ St Andrews student is a strange concept. For a university with such a global intake (the prospectus seems to use the word diversity approximately 8 billion times) there seems to be a remarkably simplistic view outside the university of the kind of person which the university...

Read more →