Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Christmas break: the long and short of it

Christmas break: the long and short of it

Coming back from the calm of St Andrews’ lengthy winter vacation most students here have experienced a rest unmatched by any of our American or British counterparts. Indeed, “lengthy” seems an unsuitable term to describe the sheer extent of the dull winter days away from Fife. Currently, St Andrews’...

Read more →
  • Principal confirms tragic death of first year student

Principal confirms tragic death of first year student

Louise Richardson, principal of the University, has confirmed the death of first year student Kieran McCann in an email sent to students and staff this morning. Her email said: “I’m afraid that I am writing with very sad news. As many of you will already be aware, the search for Kieran McCann, one...

Read more →
  • Refreshers’ 2015: Sinners

Refreshers’ 2015: Sinners

With the closure of Venue 1, St Andrews students held a fair amount of skepticism about the Union’s ability to maintain its nightlife. However, Wednesday nights’ Refreshers’ Sinners made clear that students can still rely on the Union for a great night out. To capitalize on the space available,...

Read more →
  • Body found on St Andrews beach

Body found on St Andrews beach

The body of a man has been found on the beach in St Andrews, police in Fife have confirmed. A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Enquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances.” While there is no official confirmation, the body was found as part of the missing person enquiry into Kieran...

Read more →
  • Student missing after night out

Student missing after night out

A first year St Andrews student, Kieran McCann, has been reported missing after a night out. Friends report seeing him at the Vic in the early hours of Wednesday 28 January, adding that he appeared tipsy but not drunk. A close friend of Mr McCann, Piers Ruud Moss, told The Saint that concern for him has...

Read more →