Empty University rooms to accommodate Fife Park residents

October 31, 2012 1:46 pm 0 comments

Students who are currently residing in Fife Park will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall and DRA early next year, a University spokesman has confirmed.

The announcement comes after The Saint reported that almost 300 rooms in University accommodation remain vacant, despite previous concerns over a shortage of beds in St Andrews.

Fife Park residents will be relocated to Agnes Blackadder Hall, above, in January 2013.

A spokesman said: “After careful assessment, we are satisfied that there are sufficient rooms available across the University estate to allow us to relocate all the residents of Fife Park early next year…in January 2013.

“Part of the reason for the relocation is to make available currently unused accommodation of a higher standard than Fife Park. This will afford our students a more comfortable environment due to more modern standards, including heating systems and thermal insulation,” he said.

The University is currently working through the feasibility and planning process for the refurbishment of Fife Park yet the final decision to proceed with refurbishment will be decided at the Planning and Resources Committee meeting in December 2012.

In early October, Fife Council’s Planning Committee refused proposals to create new student housing next to East Sands. At the time, a University spokesman said: “Anything which increases the range, choice and quality of accommodation in St Andrews is to be welcomed.”

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2016: St Andrews edition

Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2016: St Andrews edition

Photo: Shakespeare Syndrome As your newsfeeds have surely informed you, the 2016 Edinburgh Festival Fringe will soon be unleashing a host of actors, singers, dancers, comedians, and countless other performers into the streets of Scotland’s capital. Having showcased the UK’s finest talent...

Read more →
  • Taylor Swift versus The Rest of the World: Is all this bad blood really necessary?

Taylor Swift versus The Rest of the World: Is all this bad blood really necessary?

Take yourself back to the 14th of February this year – the day Kanye West released his new album, The Life of Pablo, which included the song Famous and the lyrics, “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex/ Why? I made that b*tch famous.” An online frenzy ensued over the controversial...

Read more →
  • Good luck shaking this one off, Tay Tay

Good luck shaking this one off, Tay Tay

April 2016: International superstar Taylor Swift gives Vogue a tour of her Los Angeles mansion. “What do you think is the most important life lesson for someone to learn?” inquires the reporter. Swift replies sagely that “karma is real.”  Three months later, as a decade’s worth of...

Read more →
  • Roll the Dyce: why Allardyce is perfect for England

Roll the Dyce: why Allardyce is perfect for England

Sam Allardyce At 3:45 yesterday afternoon, Sam Allardyce was appointed as the new England manager on a two-year deal. His brief is simple: pick up an England team fresh off their round of 16 elimination by Iceland in the recent European Championship and restore public faith in the team that is seen by...

Read more →
  • Spirited summer trends

Spirited summer trends

As the summer heat rises, summer style flourishes. Three distinct warm weather trends absolutely scream holiday. Flora and fauna prints, reminiscent of radiant, tropical islands and lush forests, bring energy to the season. Such prints feature brilliantly coloured dragon fruit and calming hues of melon....

Read more →