Union redevelopment given green light

Revamp given go ahead despite criticism from local residents. Work will begin in February after plans go before University Court.

September 20, 2012 9:30 am 0 comments

The seal of approval for a £12m revamp of the St Andrews’ Students’ Association has been given the green light despite numerous complaints from locals.

The 1970s building on St Mary’s Place is to undergo external alterations including: the building of a single storey shop in place of the existing recycling centre; new landscaping and street furniture; a reduction of car parking spaces and new signs at the front and side of the building.

Although the St Andrews Preservation Trust has long maintained that the building is an “eyesore,” plans have come under fire from numerous locals.

Peter Davidson, a spokesman for the Architectural Heritage Society said: “This is the conservation area of an historic town, not Wacker Drive,” likening the exterior design to the multi-level street in Chicago surrounded by skyscrapers.

Mr Davidson expressed concerns about the glass frontier of the design. “Townsfolk really don’t want to see what students are doing inside the building. This aspect of the Students’ Union should be left as it is,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the Architectural Heritage Trust lambasted the use of coloured laminate on the glass of the new building. “Such use of colour on buildings tends to look cheap and nasty,” she said.

However, in an interview with The Saint, Jules Findlay, Director of Events and Services, stated: “It’s a minority of locals but we all live in the town and we’ve been very careful to talk to people who have had an issue with the glass and explain to them.

“I think it’s about making locals feel involved in the process and let them know what’s happening. Locals seem to have been very happy with the plans once we’ve explained exactly what’s happening.

“With a building of that size right in the middle of town, the fact that there aren’t more complaints is great,” he said.

Findlay also confirmed that the date for the building work to start has been pushed back from December to February/March since the first Court meeting is in December. He said: “We originally intended work to begin in December but the first Court meets in December so it will begin in February.

“We do have planning permission but that’s just the start of the process. The plans now have to go through the St Andrews’ University Planning Committee and then the University
Court,” he added.

“There will be some disruption because we’re planning to put in place a new glass front and they will be installing a coffee shop where BESS is. So, by the summer, there will be a very noticeable difference to the building.”

President of the Students’ Association Freddie Fforde countered the criticism. He said: “The redevelopment of the Union will finally allow our creaking facility to furnish the resources we need to operate the hundreds of student activities that find their home in the building.

“The willingness of the University to invest in student activity also sends a strong message to the best candidates – both home and abroad – that St Andrews continues to be one of the best places to work, live and study.

“It’s important for us to appreciate and respect the town that we live in, while also working towards a compromise that meets the needs of the thousands of students who also call St Andrews home.

“This year the Association will be making a concerted effort to engage with the local community,” he said.

A spokesman for the University also welcomed the granting of planning permission. He said: “We’re very pleased to have obtained planning permission and have long been committed to improving this important building. The Union should be a central part of the St Andrews experience.”

The redevelopment, which is due to be complete by Freshers’ Week of 2013, will include a piazza, a street-facing café and a 600 person capacity nightclub.

Old and new: the Union’s redevelopment should be complete by September 2013

Share this article

No comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• FS 2016: “Far more than your average night out”

FS 2016: “Far more than your average night out”

Photo: Paloma Fernandez This Saturday evening, thousands of students will converge on Lower College Lawn for one of the most anticipated events of the year. In its 24th cycle, the St Andrews Charity Fashion Show has promised a spectacular array of goodies and performances, with unparalleled gift bags...

Read more →
  • dRAG Walk 2016: “A host of talent unlike any other”

dRAG Walk 2016: “A host of talent unlike any other”

On the penultimate night of RAG Week, Club 601 opened its doors to a host of talent unlike any other. Led by the larger-than-life Rujazzle, a parade of drag queens dominated the stage as they competed for the coveted title of Fife’s Drag Superstar, most recently won by this year’s judge Sue Phyllis....

Read more →
  • Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Sandy’s Bar last Tuesday evening was a platform for the A Cappella realm of the St Andrew’s scene. Over the past week, RAG has given host to many a charitable event, with this being no different. The A Cappella Society’s ‘Sofa Sessions’ sought to provide a fun and enjoyable way of raising money...

Read more →
  • RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

St Andrews Got Talent kicked off with a pleasant surprise from one of the event’s sponsors, Barefoot Wines, having shown up with every student’s dream: a variety of free alcohol on offer. After being ushered to our seats, it was difficult not to be somewhat envious of the front tables and their...

Read more →
  • Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Studio 54, as a name synonymous with all the glitter and glamour of the late seventies, raised expectations with promises of Dionysian glory and rich excess. True to form, the GIG delivered on these promises with a night worthy of the legend it sought to emulate. Although placed on a Thursday night...

Read more →