Union redevelopment given green light

Revamp given go ahead despite criticism from local residents. Work will begin in February after plans go before University Court.

September 20, 2012 9:30 am 0 comments

The seal of approval for a £12m revamp of the St Andrews’ Students’ Association has been given the green light despite numerous complaints from locals.

The 1970s building on St Mary’s Place is to undergo external alterations including: the building of a single storey shop in place of the existing recycling centre; new landscaping and street furniture; a reduction of car parking spaces and new signs at the front and side of the building.

Although the St Andrews Preservation Trust has long maintained that the building is an “eyesore,” plans have come under fire from numerous locals.

Peter Davidson, a spokesman for the Architectural Heritage Society said: “This is the conservation area of an historic town, not Wacker Drive,” likening the exterior design to the multi-level street in Chicago surrounded by skyscrapers.

Mr Davidson expressed concerns about the glass frontier of the design. “Townsfolk really don’t want to see what students are doing inside the building. This aspect of the Students’ Union should be left as it is,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the Architectural Heritage Trust lambasted the use of coloured laminate on the glass of the new building. “Such use of colour on buildings tends to look cheap and nasty,” she said.

However, in an interview with The Saint, Jules Findlay, Director of Events and Services, stated: “It’s a minority of locals but we all live in the town and we’ve been very careful to talk to people who have had an issue with the glass and explain to them.

“I think it’s about making locals feel involved in the process and let them know what’s happening. Locals seem to have been very happy with the plans once we’ve explained exactly what’s happening.

“With a building of that size right in the middle of town, the fact that there aren’t more complaints is great,” he said.

Findlay also confirmed that the date for the building work to start has been pushed back from December to February/March since the first Court meeting is in December. He said: “We originally intended work to begin in December but the first Court meets in December so it will begin in February.

“We do have planning permission but that’s just the start of the process. The plans now have to go through the St Andrews’ University Planning Committee and then the University
Court,” he added.

“There will be some disruption because we’re planning to put in place a new glass front and they will be installing a coffee shop where BESS is. So, by the summer, there will be a very noticeable difference to the building.”

President of the Students’ Association Freddie Fforde countered the criticism. He said: “The redevelopment of the Union will finally allow our creaking facility to furnish the resources we need to operate the hundreds of student activities that find their home in the building.

“The willingness of the University to invest in student activity also sends a strong message to the best candidates – both home and abroad – that St Andrews continues to be one of the best places to work, live and study.

“It’s important for us to appreciate and respect the town that we live in, while also working towards a compromise that meets the needs of the thousands of students who also call St Andrews home.

“This year the Association will be making a concerted effort to engage with the local community,” he said.

A spokesman for the University also welcomed the granting of planning permission. He said: “We’re very pleased to have obtained planning permission and have long been committed to improving this important building. The Union should be a central part of the St Andrews experience.”

The redevelopment, which is due to be complete by Freshers’ Week of 2013, will include a piazza, a street-facing café and a 600 person capacity nightclub.

Old and new: the Union’s redevelopment should be complete by September 2013

Share this article

No comments

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• In Arsene we trust?

In Arsene we trust?

Despite Arsenal’s 61%  possession and 23 shots on target against another makeshift Manchester United defence, it was still Louis Van Gaal’s side that snatched the three points. Jack Wilshere’s flash-point of anger against the overbearing Fellaini and Kieran Gibbs’ complete deflation after the...

Read more →
  • A Cappella Christmas Concert in Review: St Andrews’ Best Take the Stage

The atmosphere in the Younger Hall on Wednesday evening was one of excitement and festive chatter in anticipation of the St Andrews A Cappella Society’s Christmas Concert. Prepared for an evening of cheer and merriment, the audience was not disappointed. With six very different acts, performances highlights...

Read more →
  • Getting you into the Christmas spirit: The St Andrews A Capella Society Christmas concert

Getting you into the Christmas spirit: The St Andrews A Capella Society Christmas concert

The St. Andrews A Cappella Society Christmas concert definitely sparked the Christmas season. On the 26th of November In Younger Hall, all six of the a cappella groups in St. Andrews performed: The Vocal Bandits, The Accidentals, The Alleycats, The Belles, The Other Guys, and The Hummingbirds. With a...

Read more →
  • Jack and the Beanstalk: Review

Jack and the Beanstalk: Review

***** Tom Duncan as Count Olaf. Photo Cred: Peter Adamson I had the clever idea of dragging my theatre-loathing boyfriend to the opening night of the pantomime show Jack and the Beanstalk at The Byre Theatre this Thursday evening. Upon leaving I asked ‘How many stars would you give this show?’ ‘Five,’...

Read more →
  • A Christmas Carol: Review

A Christmas Carol: Review

*** Catriona Scott’s innovative adaption of A Christmas Carol performed on Monday and Tuesday of this week in the Union’s Venue 1 was a solidly good show. Scott’s version gave the classic tale a modern twist with the story set in here in St Andrews; Sarah Pollock playing a female Scrooge and Michael...

Read more →