The Saint at Freshers’ Week: Welcome to the Bubble

0

For 600 years the University has welcomed its students with foam or bubbles and a bop, ever since the first student to matriculate here invented soap, UV light and Katy Perry. Nothing has really changed.

Joking aside, there is no doubt about it: St Andreans love all things soap and foam-related. The first big night of the year, and what better way to kick it all off than with a bubble cannon and 1000 students packed into a buzzing Venue 1?

Nervous faces glowing with excitement and UV paste shifted slowly (and with much difficulty) between packed bars. Traditionally one of the busiest nights of the year, the Union became at one point just one giant wedge of human.

But we love it, do we not? The soap in the eyes, the occasional dubious pop anthem, that young fresh after-summer glow of September. By midnight the nerves had worn off. I often looked up to see only couples littering the dance floor.

Yet for some strange reason I found myself missing the unbearable inconvenience of foam painfully blinding the eyes and occupying just about every nook and cranny of the body. Bubbles just don’t have the same memorable mess that foam creates.

But this is merely trivial. The atmosphere has rarely been more amicable in the Union than on this radiant night. And this is only the beginning.

Welcome back everyone!

All Photos: Ben Goulter