The Saint at Freshers’ Week: Student Wit

0

On Saturday night, in a jam-packed Venue 2, three student groups provided the crowd with an evening of original comedy.

The first section of the show was performed by the self-proclaimed “elite group of stand-ups” known as The Aristocrats, their name a reference to the dirty vaudevillian joke that Gilbert Gottfried popularised in 2001. The Comedy Soc members entertained their audience well, negotiating the tough opening slot with good material and some great enthusiasm. Their set really got going when Andrew Ferguson took to the stage and gave a very amusing account of his summer, displaying an impressive amount of confidence in his assured delivery. The standard then only increased when Olly Leonard followed on and provided the audience with the highlight of their entire show and in fact the whole night. Leonard’s performance made the audience laugh continuously with the standard of the material in his short set on a par with most professional acts. He displayed his fluent sense of timing, wit and audacity in a very accomplished manner, bringing the first section of the night to a close brilliantly.

Next up were St Andrews’ oldest comedy act and only improv troupe Blind Mirth, who performed a series of games based around suggestions from the audience. The crowd immediately got involved with a game called “world’s worst”, where the participants had to act out a series of professions in the worst possible manner that they could imagine. The “world’s worst plastic surgeon” round was particularly funny. Another game that the audience really took to was “Dr. Know It All”, which to be honest is pretty inexplicable in writing but nonetheless produced very enjoyable results. The troupe then went into the crowd to collect people’s iPods, which they then played on shuffle through the PA system, performing skits around the songs that were being played. This game ended up in the most surreal moment of the night when what sounded like an audio book of Sir Ian McKellen’s autobiography was played and a Lord of the Rings based skit was improvised around it. Blind Mirth then finished the way they usually do; performing the game “I Like My Women/Men Like I Like My (insert hilarious household object here) “, and received an appreciative round of applause from the crowd.

The final third of the night saw St Andrews Revue take to the stage and perform some original sketches from their Edinburgh Fringe Festival show. There were a number of highlights in their set and, despite a much depleted line-up, the group managed to make their audience laugh throughout. One of their best sketches was based around the idea of Timmy from The Famous Five becoming disillusioned with the roles that Enid Blyton had been writing for him, eventually resulting in him being replaced by Snowy from Tintin. This led to the brilliantly ridiculous and hilarious line; “I hope Tintin doesn’t know you’re here, because if he does, you’ll break his little Belgian heart”. Overall, the group had a number of good sketches that went down well with the audience and successfully rounded off what was a very entertaining night of student comedy.