The low down on our traditions

St Andrews prides itself on tradition and, over the last 600 years, has certainly accumulated enough of it.

September 20, 2012 9:30 am 0 comments

St Andrews prides itself on tradition and, over the last 600 years, has certainly accumulated enough of it. Often cited as a key factor in a student’s decision to attend the University, traditions help unify our rather cosmopolitan student population and provide fun ways of celebrating the history of the town and region.

Undergraduate gowns:

Red for arts and science students, and black for divinity, the gowns are perhaps the most ‘noticeable’ of our traditions. They’re worn on pier walks, to hall dinners, UDS debates, and other, more formal, university events, and seem to encourage comparisons between St Andrews and Hogwarts. (This parallel was fuelled by the fact the St Andrews recently played host to the world’s first academic conference on Harry Potter. I’m not kidding.)

Academic Families:

Third year (tertian) ‘parents’ adopt first year (bejant) ‘children’. There to provide new friends and a bit of a support network for Freshers, the real fun begins during the annual Raisin Weekend.

Raisin Weekend:

THEN: The origins are hazy, but this long lasting tradition stems from the theory that academic children, appreciative of the tutelage of their parents, would express their gratitude with a pound of raisins.

NOW: Still part haze and part mating ritual, today’s Raisin features lots of costumes and the world’s largest foam fight which make it – without a doubt – one of the most fun St Andrews experience. Characterized by German newspaper Der Spiegel as a weekend of “foam, fondling, and malfeasance”, it comes as no surprise that a bottle of wine now replaces the pound of raisins.

The PH:

THEN: Patrick Hamilton, a young Protestant, was burned at the stake outside St Salvator’s quad in 1528. His initials are drawn in the cobblestones outside Sallie’s quad at the site of his execution, and, apparently his face is “burnt” into the bell tower above.

NOW: Step on the “PH” and you’re doomed to fail your degree. Only May Dip can save you.

The Gaudie/May dip:

THEN: In January of 1800, stormy weather caused a ship to run aground just outside St Andrews. 19-year-old student John Honey swam out and back to the sinking ship, rescuing all five of the sailors on board. On his last trip out, he was struck by a falling mast, causing injuries that would plague him for the rest of his life.

NOW: A torch-lit procession put on by the gentlemen of the Kate Kennedy club. Students draped in gowns begin in the Castle and advance to the end of the pier, from which floating lanterns are released over East Sands.

If the procession is solemn and respectful, the next ten hours are anything but. Students party all night before charging into the North Sea. Legend has it that this early morning plunge is the only way for students to absolve themselves of their academic sins.

Post-Exam Soakings:

After final exams, it is common practice for their friends/academic families to drench them in water as they exit the exam halls.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Inspirations at the Commonwealth

Inspirations at the Commonwealth

Today I haven’t been watching the Commonwealth Games. Not great, admittedly, for someone who is supposedly writing about the whole affair. I have instead been engaging with the sporting world in a different way; I have been embracing “The spirit of the games”. How the organisers of these games...

Read more →
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 review

How to Train Your Dragon 2 review

How to Train Your Dragon 2 follows in the steps of the witty and occasionally dazzling 2010 instalment, catching up with weedy protagonist Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) as he perches precipitously between aerial exploration and adulthood. In this chapter, Hiccup’s quest to discover his inner identity leads...

Read more →
  • An opening ceremony to be loved

An opening ceremony to be loved

The Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony was the best thing I’ve watched on TV all summer. Ok, I understand that this event would perhaps not be everyone’s summer 2014 audiovisual highlight. And yet, despite stiff competition from football matches in Brazil and several episodes of Orange Is...

Read more →
  • West Sands has become health risk because of campervans, says councillor

West Sands has become health risk because of campervans, says councillor

Photo credit: Henry Legg Famed for its sprawling sand dunes, the two mile long expanse of West Sands that stretches out alongside the St Andrews Links is the last place you would expect to pose a health risk because of overcrowding. But a Fife councillor has complained that the free parking, summer weather...

Read more →
  • EIFF presents: Tony Benn: Will and Testament

EIFF presents: Tony Benn: Will and Testament

Tony Benn: Will and Testament is an intimate look at the life of British socialist, anti-war campaigner, husband, and father, Tony Benn, once called the ‘most dangerous man in Britain.’ The film received its world premiere at the Edinburgh International Film Festival with its premiere selling out...

Read more →