Once in a lifetime chance for one lucky golfer

0

The Alfred Dunhill Links Championship has offered lucky (and wealthy) amateur golfers a place in their prestigious golfing championship, due to take place 4-7 October at the St Andrews Old Course.

Hugh Grant is a regular feature of the Dunhill Links in St Andrews

The amateur player will buy himself a place amongst some of  the best golfers, who in the past have included Darren Clarke, John Daly and Ernie Els . The competition asks golf fanatics to place a bid on ebay, which began on Thursday 6 September at 6pm and will finish tomorrow at the same time, with the highest bidder winning the prize.

This prize includes five nights in an official tournament hotel and invitations to the golfing competition’s social events as “honoured guests.” The bid has not taken off as the Championship would have wished, however, with only one bidder so far, laying down £17,000 which has not been matched so far.

The money raised from this bid is unlikely to change anytime soon unless another golf-crazy star wants to compete with the best that golf has to offer.

The money raised will go to a charity, called the Pilgrim Foundation, which is locally-based and is committed to: “… the restoration of the historic monuments and buildings in the Home of Golf.” The charity’s patrons are themselves notable, and include Sir Sean Connery, Colin Montgomerie, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.

In previous years, this has been a star-studded auction, with Hugh Grant, The Eagles’ lead guitarist Don Felder and Bon Jovi’s drummer Tico Torres all having taken part in the Championship after winning the bid.

On their website, the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship said: “With a prize fund of US$5 million, the championship incorporates two separate competitions – an individual professional tournament for the world’s leading golfers and a team event in which the professionals are paired with some of the most celebrated amateur golfers which creates a unique atmosphere.”

Keep your eyes peeled for that lucky celeb walking St Andrews’ streets come the first week of October.

The competition can be found on the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship here: http://www.alfreddunhilllinks.com/information/media-centre/press-releases/win-the-golfing-chance-of-a-lifetime-bid-for-a-place-in-the-alfred-dunhill-links/

The bid can be placed here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfred-Dunhill-Links-Championship-Charity-Amateur-Playing-Spot-/251147215342?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SportsVouchers_CA&hash=item3a798a61ee#ht_1436wt_1271