Debt-ridden student convicted for embezzlement

2

A part time student and University librarian with a previously unblemished record has been ordered to carry out unpaid work after stealing more than £2500 from a village post office.

Dylan Lindo, 28, was responsible for organising pouches of cash collected at the post office in the tiny north-east Fife hamlet, Balmullo.

However, when it became clear in July, 2011 that there was a discrepancy between computer records and the actual amount handed over, Lindo was suspended from his duties.

Cupar Sheriff Court heard that “he was the only person with computer access to carry out banking for the cash uplifts. Cash-in-transit crews would attend and the pouches of money would be handed over to them.

“On July 29 it became apparent that there was a banking discrepancy. They became aware that £2550 had not been received despite computer records showing a pouch relating to that sum of money had been prepared by the accused on July 21.

“On August 10 two security officers attended at the locus and met with the accused who was working there. He was asked about the pouch that was unaccounted for and said he would have handed it over for uplift on July 25.

“He then stated he had not received an uplift on that date but security officers were aware there had been a delivery of change on that date and he was asked why he didn’t hand it over he didn’t give any reasonable explanation.”

Lindo pleaded guilty to charges of embezzlement between 30 June and 10 August, 2011.

His lawyer, Katrina Clark, argued that Lindo was under “personal and financial pressure.”

She said: “He was born in Belize where he lived until the age of nine with his grandparents. It was identified that he was academically gifted and he moved to the USA for high school. He then came to the UK for university but dropped out due to financial problems.

“He moved to Fife to study at St Andrews University for an arts degree and was working at the post office to support himself. It wasn’t a sophisticated embezzlement and he was inevitably found out because of the computer records.”

Lindo was placed on community payback order and forced to carry out 240 hours unpaid work in the community.

Sheriff John Haley said: “This was a serious offence that involved a breach of trust in your responsibility for dealing with money.

“It is a matter that would normally be required to be dealt with by a sentence of imprisonment. But you are clearly a young man with considerable potential and with the ability to contribute significantly to the community and society.”

Sheriff Haley explained that Lindo would now be subject to the University’s disciplinary code and could face being expelled and being fired from his job in the University library.

Yet The Saint can report that Lindo is still working in the library.

Both the University and Lindo declined to comment on the case.

1. DYLAN LINDO, HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GOOD KID, HE DID NOT NEED TO DO NO EMBEZZLEMENT, AS HE CAME FROM OUTSTANDING FAMILY BACKGROUND THAT NEVER STEALS. kIDS GROW UP AND BECOME ADULT, AND YOU BELIZEAN KNOW THAT, SO THEY HAVE A MIND OF THEIR OWN. HE HAD ENOUGH AUNTIES AND UNCLES BY HIS MOTHER SIDE THAT HE ALWAYS ASSIST HIM IN HIS FINANCIAL PROBLEMS, AND HE COULD OF HAVE ASK, BUT INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO HIS MOTHER, TO KEEP SECRETS, AND DONT TELL HIS FAMILY ANYTHING, OR BOTHER WITH THEM, THIS HAPPENED TO HIM. NOTE: HE WAS NOT RAISED BY NO GRANDMOTHER. HE WAS RAISED BY HIS AUNT IN FRESNO, CALIFORNIA AND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT BELIZE, BUT OF COURSE HE LIED. AND, AFTER ALL THIS, HIS FAMILY BY HIS MOTHER IS JUST FINDING ABOUT THIS CRIME. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON HIM. NOT HIS FAMILY. TWO YEARS AFTER CRIME, WE ARE JUST FINDING OUT.