The Saint’s resident fashion writer, Tasha Cornall, gives us her insight into some of the treasure troves for fashionistas right here in St Andrews.

One of the complaints I hear and read about St Andrews most often is that there is nowhere to shop, and that you need to traipse all the way over to Dundee if you want to indulge in a little retail therapy. Whilst there is definitely a gaping high-street -fashion shaped hole in town, we should count ourselves lucky in a couple of other respects: firstly, there is a wealth of charity shops stuffed full with super cheap pre-worn clothes, and secondly, there is an amazing range of independent shops and boutiques which we have right here on our doorstep. It’s time for me to introduce you to a few of my favourite independent clothes and accessory shops in the hopes of persuading you away from Primark’s polyester clutches.

Manifesto Classics
171 South Street

Manifesto Classics is the perfect place to browse for high-quality casual wear; for splurging on an investment piece that will long outlive anything from H&M. Although the shop is mainly stocked with menswear lines at the moment, manager Scott assured me that more womenswear will be coming in throughout autumn and winter. There are other Manifesto shops in the area, but while the selections in these are more sports-orientated, the St Andrews store focuses on preppy, classic, heritage-inspired styles. Think from Barbour jackets (not just your standard St Andrean olive green, but also in vivid shades of red and autumnal berry hues) to my favourite denim brand, Cheap Monday.

Manifesto Classics also offers a 10% student discount.

Elisabeth May Boutique
146 South Street (moving to 1b St Mary’s Place this week, Friday 21st September)

Needing something sparkly for a special event? Look no further than Elisabeth May Boutique. With stocks of limited sizes, of many brands not otherwise locally available, they are able to offer exclusive purchases so you can avoid awkwardly bumping into someone wearing the same outfit as you! Having already won Drapers Inspiring Independents Award and featuring in Grazia magazine, this is an exciting year for the store as they are moving to a bigger location right next door to the Vic, meaning they’ll be able to stock more styles and expand their clothing range.

Elisabeth May Boutique offers a 10% student discount (15% for those with a Keycard)

Rummage
138 South Street

Rummage is an Aladdin’s cave. You could spend all afternoon browsing and still not manage to see everything there. Alongside individually-sourced items of furniture and crockery, you’ll find a host of vintage accessories and clothing. Jewellery-wise, there’s a brilliant box full of broken and mismatched bling at just £1 for a handful – perfect for magpies and customising! There’s heaps of costume jewellery and unique pieces, as well as a wardrobe filled with vintage clothing and a rail stuffed with furs in every size, length and colour you could wish for. If something has caught your eye, but you need to wait for another instalment of your student loan before splashing out, the lovely owner Felicity says that she will take a small deposit and set it aside for you.

All photos: Tasha Cornall