The Flaming Lips: The Flaming Lips And Heady Fwends

0

Imagine the scene: you’re in some mad scientist’s lab and you’re strapped to a chair, each of your limbs has been stretched out and stuck in a mini-wormhole leading to another dimension, on the other side of which your fingers and toes are getting spaghettified and slurped up by little alien mouths and it really tickles. Back in the lab and your being force fed LSD in the face. All the while, Wayne Coyne looks on and shrugs his shoulders, he’s done this experiment a thousand times before and he is well aware of the intended effects.

This time however, he’s invited a select group of apprentices to observe his techniques of freaking you out. Amongst them stand the likes of Justin Vernon, Nick Cave, Neon Indian and Yoko Ono; all established figures in their respective fields of musical academia, they take note and join in the psychedelic torment. There must have been some sort of clerical error in the admissions department when Ke$ha managed to wriggle her way on to the programme of ‘how to make music the Flaming Lips’ way’ but then again it would be nice to think that, after her feeble attempts to bewilder us with her teeth brushing antics, Coyne decided she needed some tutoring in the arts of sonic mind-bending. She still managed to miss her cue on the opener, ‘2012 (You Must Be Upgraded), but maybe that’s just her trying to be wacky.

Justin Vernon’s participation on ‘Ashes In The Air’ and ‘The First Time I Saw Your Face’ featuring Erykah Badu are the stand out moments of this psychadelic patchwork, perhaps because they offer something of a dreamy caress to your brain after its been used as a mop for cleaning up cosmic vomit.

Ingredients: discordant Moog synthesisers and some warped song titles including ‘Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee’, ‘I’m Working At NASA On Acid’ and ‘Is David Bowie Dying?’

May contain traces of: your subconscious.

Serving suggestions: with a bucket by your side and a close friend to reassure you that all feelings of being hurled sideways through the space-time continuum are just an illusion.

Store next to: Bjork, Animal Collective, Sonic Youth.

Best before: you want to get off the ride.

Nutritional value: 7.5/10

Warner Bros, Bella Union, Lovely Sorts of Death