St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The 39 steps reviewed

The 39 steps reviewed

**** The 39 Steps is a bold choice for a student production. Based on the classic novel by John Buchan, it has been adapted for both the screen and stage attracting iconic names such as Hitchcock, Kenneth More and Robert Donat. With such a formidable heritage, this production had a lot to live up to,...

Read more →
  • Illustrations – Issue 186

Illustrations – Issue 186

// Illustrator: Alexandra Zagaynova Illustrator: Milan Cater Illustrator: Olga Loza Illustrator: Anders Jacobsen Illustrator: Renee Godyn Illustrators: Milan Cater, Olga Loza, Renee Godyn, Gabby Wolf, Alexandra Zagaynova

Read more →
  • Introducing: St Andrews Against Slavery

Introducing: St Andrews Against Slavery

// Photo: Alyssa Chafee Photo: Alyssa Chafee Photo: Alyssa Chafee Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo: Sian Venables Photo:...

Read more →
  • Donations slump by £3m despite 600th celebrations

Donations slump by £3m despite 600th celebrations

Though last September saw the climax of the St Andrews’ 600th anniversary celebrations, donations to the University fell by over £3 million compares to the last academic year. According to a Freedom of Information request submitted by The Saint, the total donations made throughout the year stood...

Read more →
  • “Arrogant” Charities Campaign committee slammed over cap on support for charities

“Arrogant” Charities Campaign committee slammed over cap on support for charities

A decision by the Charities Campaign to prevent charities receiving support over consecutive years has been called “frankly ridiculous” by one of the societies affected. The St Andrews Friends of Médecins Sans Frontières group (FoMSF), which raises money and awareness locally for the international...

Read more →