St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Irn Bru, online shopping and reintroducing caning for Conservatives: the other side of Alex Salmond

Irn Bru, online shopping and reintroducing caning for Conservatives: the other side of Alex Salmond

Photo: Jan Cutting At one end of a Scottish Parliamentary office sits a pristine copy of Murray Pittock’s The road to independence? Perched on top of it is a slightly better thumbed edition of 50 people who screwed up Scotland. It just so happens that the office’s occupant is 47th on the list. He...

Read more →
  • Saints Hockey head coach receives national award

Saints Hockey head coach receives national award

The University of St Andrews Hockey Club has enjoyed a lot of success both on and off the field in the last couple of years, including promotions, cup runs, and the constant staving-off of relegation in a variety of BUCS leagues, as well as receiving Saints Sport’s Club of the Year award last year. Now...

Read more →
  • Astronomy PhD student admits sexual assaults

Astronomy PhD student admits sexual assaults

Pasquale Galianni, an astronomy PhD student at St Andrews, has admitted to carrying out two sex assaults at the North Haugh. Mr Galianni was placed on the sex offenders register by judge Lord Burns at the High Court in Glasgow today (18 December) but his sentence has been deferred. Halfway through his...

Read more →
  • Scotland’s richest woman makes £1m donation to St Andrews Malawi project

Scotland’s richest woman makes £1m donation to St Andrews Malawi project

Ann Gloag OBE, co-founder of the transport company Stagecoach and the richest woman in Scotland, will donate £1 million to help the launch of the University of St Andrews’ new Global Healthcare Implementation Programme. The programme is the result of a partnership with the Malawi College of Medicine...

Read more →
  • Feliz Madridad

Feliz Madridad

Christmas: a time of food, festivities and faked enthusiasm for distant relatives. At my Madrid primary school, term is slowly winding down, whilst the downtown streets Gran Vía and Calle Mayor are lined with decorations. Though the large, generic tree in Madrid’s central Plaza de Sol indicates...

Read more →