St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The week in review: Hamish, accommodation and Freshers’ Week

The week in review: Hamish, accommodation and Freshers’ Week

Read more →
  • What to wear: STARFIELDS

What to wear: STARFIELDS

On 13 September, St Andrews Charity Fashion Show’s STARFIELDS will headline Freshers’ Week. This sold-out event, housing 2,000 attendees, will give freshers a taste of the grandeur that is FS. At STARFIELDS, students will be treated to six acts including Nick Grimshaw, Model Aeroplanes, Neon...

Read more →
  • New details revealed about Fife Park redevelopment

New details revealed about Fife Park redevelopment

An example of a kitchen / living room at CLV accommodation in Salford. Photo: Campus Living Villages Campus Living Villages (CLV) has been named as the private company that will build and own the new Fife Park residences. While the University will manage the residences and collect rents, this is the...

Read more →
  • “We put the sin in Sinners”

“We put the sin in Sinners”

Sinners and its notorious reputation for drunken debauchery is known all throughout the land of St Andrews, and the Sinners of Freshers’ Week was no exception to this. With cheap drinks and sports teams in spandex, Sinners was the usual mix of crying and coupling. The event did seem far less crowded...

Read more →
  • Celebrity cat Hamish McHamish has passed away

Celebrity cat Hamish McHamish has passed away

Tributes to Hamish at his statue. Photo: Elliot Davies Today brings the sad news that Hamish McHamish, St Andrews’ most beloved and famous cat, has passed away. His passing was announced on Hamish’s popular Facebook page this morning. According to the post, Hamish died this morning of a chest...

Read more →