St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Principal confirms tragic death of first year student

Principal confirms tragic death of first year student

Louise Richardson, principal of the University, has confirmed the death of first year student Kieran McCann in an email sent to students and staff this morning. Her email said: “I’m afraid that I am writing with very sad news. As many of you will already be aware, the search for Kieran McCann, one...

Read more →
  • Refreshers 2015: Sinners

Refreshers 2015: Sinners

With the closure of Venue 1, St Andrews students held a fair amount of skepticism about the Union’s ability to maintain its nightlife. However, Wednesday nights’ Refreshers Sinners made clear that students can still rely on the Union for a great night out. To capitalize on the space available, the...

Read more →
  • Body found on St Andrews beach

Body found on St Andrews beach

The body of a man has been found on the beach in St Andrews, police in Fife have confirmed. A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Enquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances.” While there is no official confirmation, the body was found as part of the missing person enquiry into Kieran...

Read more →
  • Student missing after night out

Student missing after night out

A first year St Andrews student, Kieran McCann, has been reported missing after a night out. Friends report seeing him at the Vic in the early hours of Wednesday 28 January, adding that he appeared tipsy but not drunk. A close friend of Mr McCann, Piers Ruud Moss, told The Saint that concern for him has...

Read more →
  • Blackhorn gains licence to sell alcohol

Blackhorn gains licence to sell alcohol

Blackhorn, a burger bar on St Andrews’ Church Street, now has a licence to sell alcohol in spite of opposition from local residents. The decision, made by the Fife licensing board, will also allow the restaurant to stay open later. The board made the decision despite the nine public complaints on issues...

Read more →