St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The Kate Kennedy Club announces its annual ‘Opening Ball’

The Kate Kennedy Club announces its annual ‘Opening Ball’

When? Saturday 4th October Where? Lower College Lawn, St Salvator’s Quad Price? £35 With Freshers’ rapidly approaching and the start of another semester at St Andrews, incoming students should be on the lookout for more information on the Kate Kennedy Club’s time-honored Opening Ball. The...

Read more →
  • “An event for everyone”: CROSSWALK 2014

“An event for everyone”: CROSSWALK 2014

When? Wednesday 17th September Where? Kinkell Byre Price? £25 With merely two weeks to go until Semester 1 officially kicks off, event announcements are coming in thick and fast for the months ahead. If we’re honest, with the same string of annual events appearing year after year, it can start...

Read more →
  • Challenging the Ice Bucket Challenge

Challenging the Ice Bucket Challenge

As I see it, there are a number of problems with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Firstly, it breeds slacktivism – people using media trends to shirk more meaningful ways of charitable involvement and placing the benefits of appearing charitable to their friends or followers above the point of the campaign...

Read more →
  • Students “squeezed” into bedrooms to handle accommodation deficit

Students “squeezed” into bedrooms to handle accommodation deficit

A shortage of University accommodation means some new students will have to move into three- and four-person rooms in halls of residence, while freshers who live near St Andrews are having to stay at home. Meanwhile, some undergraduate students are being placed in postgraduate residences. In University...

Read more →
  • “I feel like an afterthought”: freshers placed in postgraduate housing

“I feel like an afterthought”: freshers placed in postgraduate housing

The University has been forced to put some new students in postgraduate housing because of a shortage of accommodation. More than 60 undergraduate students have unexpectedly been told they will now live in Gannochy House this year alongside the usual postgraduate tenants. One, Mauro Parada, said...

Read more →