St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Week In Pictures: Bindi, One Mic Stand, and more…

Week In Pictures: Bindi, One Mic Stand, and more…

One Mic Stand (Photo: Natalia Fedorova) Journey of a Sex Slave (Photo: Raphael Benros) Journey of a Sex Slave (Photo: Raphael Benros) BINDI (Photo: Yelim Lee) BINDI (Photo: Yelim Lee) BINDI (Photo: Yelim Lee) BINDI (Photo: Yelim Lee) IDEAS Conference (Photo: Ilaria Maresi) IDEAS Conference (Photo: Ilaria...

Read more →
  • Bongo Ball 2014

Bongo Ball 2014

Read more →
  • Op-Doc: Raisin Weekend

Op-Doc: Raisin Weekend

Read more →
  • The unexpected side of Madrid

The unexpected side of Madrid

Soft afternoon light and the slightly muffled sound of an occasional motorbike or passing Spanish conversation on the street below fill the living room – my new living room in Madrid, to be exact. In my first few weeks as a language assistant I’ve done so much. To be honest, a lot of time has...

Read more →
  • Pornography reviewed

Pornography reviewed

When entering the Barron theatre to see Simon Stephen’s Pornography, I was unsure what to expect. I was familiar with the subject matter; the 7/7 bombings and London Olympic bid were relatively fresh in my memory, yet the shock factor of the title hinted at something deeper and darker than a retelling...

Read more →