St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at:

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• TEDx prepares for a new beginning

TEDx prepares for a new beginning

It’s that time of the year again for TEDx to come to the forefront of our minds, as their highly anticipated launch party is just around the corner. By far one of the best launch parties I attended last year, this year’s party starts at 19:30 on Thursday 10 November at R-Bar, located within...

Read more →
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales preview

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales preview

This month has given us our first look at what is sure to be one of next summer’s biggest blockbusters, as the teaser trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales debuted online. Directed by Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg of Kon-Tiki, this fifth entry in the on-going film...

Read more →
  • A fresher’s memories of Raisin

A fresher’s memories of Raisin

Having finally recovered enough to write, first year George Wilder has penned a recap of his Raisin Weekend, to the best of his memory.  Photo: Wikimedia 00.01: As tales of dog food eating, flogging, and unholy amounts of chunder twirled through my mind like a satanic vodka luge, I struggled to avoid...

Read more →
  • Review: Atlas

Review: Atlas

Student-written drama has a bad reputation. A stereotype of something ramshackle, self-indulgent and with poorly-designed, unfortunately, comes with the territory, and although they are often cheap to stage, they pose a significant financial risk because this stereotype weighs heavily on ticket sales. Atlas,...

Read more →
  • The unofficial St Andrews bucket list

The unofficial St Andrews bucket list

Photo: Elliot Davies Raisin, May Dip, the Pier Walk … all are high ranking “things to do” on many students’ St Andrews bucket lists. For those unfamiliar with the concept, it’s a list of things to do and experience before you graduate. Something unique about St Andrews is the opportunity to...

Read more →