St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at:

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The Saint talks to Michael Miller, author of The Dragon’s Blade: The Reborn King

The Saint talks to Michael Miller, author of The Dragon’s Blade: The Reborn King

Michael Miller graduated from the University in 2014 with a first class degree in History. Now, at the age of 23, he has published his first novel – a fantasy entitled The Dragon’s Blade: The Reborn King. The Saint sat down with him to talk about the book, his advice for student writers...

Read more →
  • The Poet and the Rock Star

The Poet and the Rock Star

Photo credit: University of St Andrews   Two Pauls, both virtuosos of words and music, took to the stage for performances and an intimate conversation at the Byre Theatre on Wednesday November 4th for the kick-off event of the new artists series at St. Andrews, Soundings. Paul Muldoon opened...

Read more →
  • The Other Guys: Carols Not From Kings

The Other Guys: Carols Not From Kings

Photo: The Other Guys If St Andrews had an anthem, it would be ‘St Andrews Girls’. Released three years ago, the music video contains references to Barbour jackets, the Old Course and Chariots of Fire, all sung against the backdrop of the town’s most iconic locations. It was a fitting follow-up...

Read more →
  • St Andrews Property named as the “best building in Scotland”

A St Andrews property has been named the best building in Scotland for 2015. West Burn Lane was awarded the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS) Andrew Doolan prize after topping a field of twelve projects which included the Glasgow’s Theatre Royal and the Dalmunach Distillery in Moray. The...

Read more →
  • Empty beds in halls may indicate progress in accommodation level

Empty beds in halls may indicate progress in accommodation level

Despite worries about accommodation amongst students in St Andrews, the University has revealed that there are 155 vacant beds in University halls of residence. Across the private sector, in Ayton House and East Shore halls of residences, there are a further 207 beds available. Of the 169 beds which...

Read more →