St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

With an explosion of mischief and mayhem that absolutely dazzles, the wizarding world we know and love is back. Taking us across to New York and back in time to the Roaring Twenties, Rowling, with her own screenplay, shows us the realm of Harry Potter like we’ve never seen it before – but with...

Read more →
  • Review: Label: My Body

Review: Label: My Body

Image: Label Inspired by The Vagina Monologues, Label brought us a new event in the Label calendar – My Body, which explored our relationship with our bodies, sexuality and love. The subjects were diverse, but were united under the umbrella of Label’s mission of experience-exploration and its...

Read more →
  • Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Photo: Ian Cameron Students from across Scotland gathered in Dundee last Saturday to compete in an inter-university Taekwon-do competition hosted by St Andrews instructors. This competition had representatives from the Universities of St Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, and what we like to call...

Read more →
  • A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

Photo: Saints Rugby Leaving home is never easy. The University of St Andrews Men’s Rugby team learned that the hard way last season, facing arduous trips to Nottingham, Worcester, Loughborough and Birmingham. Those trips took their toll on the players and they were unable to really make a fist of the...

Read more →
  • Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

The Mermaid’s annual Christmas Ball put its best foot forward, and so did the guests, but in a bit of a more literal sense. Unlike themes of the past few years, such as Harry Potter, Narnia, and Willy Wonka, this years was a bit more Christmas geared; featuring The Nightmare Before Christmas. The committee...

Read more →