St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Preview of INTROSPECT: Experiences with Mental Illness

Preview of INTROSPECT: Experiences with Mental Illness

Credit: Conner Somerville Student Minds St Andrews and student photographer Conner Somerville paired up to create a unique new exhibition, INTROSPECT: Experiences with Mental Illness. The purpose of the exhibition is to tackle the stigma of mental illness by seeing a variety of art and writing...

Read more →
  • NUS referendum debate splits Association councils

NUS referendum debate splits Association councils

A proposal to hold a referendum on whether or not the University should join the National Union of Students (NUS) is to go before the Executive Committee of the Students’ Association. This development comes after a motion to hold a referendum failed to pass in the Student Representatives Council (SRC)...

Read more →
  • Applications still open for the Rector’s Fund

Applications still open for the Rector’s Fund

Catherine Stihler, the Rector of the University, has carried on the tradition of the Rectors’ Fund; applications for which close tomorrow. Ms Stihler told The Saint: “I am so excited to be continuing in the tradition of St Andrews’ past Rectors by operating the Rector’s Fund.” The...

Read more →
  • Big Top Ball: a circus extravaganza

Big Top Ball: a circus extravaganza

Themed balls are always exciting and are often those enjoyed the most by the student community. This year, the organisers truly brought the circus to St Andrews: upon arriving to lower college lawn, the red and white circus marquees could already be spotted. What’s more, upon entering the neatly cordoned-off...

Read more →
  • Cowshed Showcase: A Review

Cowshed Showcase: A Review

As an event that showcases itself as an ‘open performance space for different mediums of expression and experimentation,’ I was apprehensive about going to my first ever Cowshed Showcase. As someone who has little confidence in performing, the very idea of others putting themselves out there with...

Read more →