St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• University backs calls for rethink of the status of international students

University backs calls for rethink of the status of international students

The University of St Andrews has backed calls for the UK government to reassess the status of international students. Currently international students are classified as migrants, while the University has said this should be changed so that they are classified as temporary visitors instead. The call from...

Read more →
  • Sandy’s Sundown Stand Up

Sandy’s Sundown Stand Up

St. Andrews is a pretty diverse place when it comes to performance – we have dance, theatre, musicals, Gilbert and Sullivan, poetry readings, comedy – I wouldn’t be surprised if someone to tell me that we have a guild for 19th century venetian mime.  Yet one thing that we’ve been lacking for...

Read more →
  • Former student in court for attempted murder

Former student in court for attempted murder

Alexander Hilton, a former student at the University, has appeared in court in relation to allegations that he attempted to poison a fellow student. Mr Hilton appeared in Dundee Sheriff Court following his extradition from the United States. In 2011 a warrant was issued for Mr Hilton’s arrest in connection...

Read more →
  • SNP win in North East Fife

SNP win in North East Fife

Stephen Gethins of the Scottish National Party (SNP) has been elected as the new Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of North East Fife. Mr Gethins will succeed Sir Menzies Campbell, the outgoing Liberal Democrat MP who has previously served as leader of his party. Mr Gethins won 41 per cent of...

Read more →
  • Conservatives pull ahead among St Andrews students

Conservatives pull ahead among St Andrews students

Photo credit: The Saint The Conservatives will be the most popular party amongst St Andrews students at the polling stations today, according to a poll conducted by The Saint. No single party, however, has convinced a majority of students to vote for it. The poll, which was conducted online and received...

Read more →