St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Golf club disbanded as AU bids to “transform club culture”

Golf club disbanded as AU bids to “transform club culture”

The University golf club’s committee has been forced to disband and members stripped of their right to compete for St Andrews, The Saint can reveal. The decision was taken after a Wednesday social ended in “chanting and shouting” in McIntosh hall, causing “great disturbance and panic”...

Read more →
  • The Rectorial Elections: A joint statement by The Saint & The Sinner

The Rectorial Elections: A joint statement by The Saint & The Sinner

This morning Catherine Stihler (MEP) was elected 52nd rector of the University of St Andrews, an ancient and unique role that has historically been filled by academics, explorers, comedians, activists and the crème de la crème of the literati. Let us be clear: we don’t doubt the worthiness of Ms...

Read more →
  • Catherine Stihler announced as new Rector without election

Catherine Stihler announced as new Rector without election

Catherine Stihler, the labour MEP, was announced this morning as the new Rector of the University. Ms Stihler was the only candidate to be successfully nominated for the elections which were planned to take place over the course of next week. No election took place, giving the student body no opportunity...

Read more →
  • “That’s Union” campaign proves disappointing and ineffective

“That’s Union” campaign proves disappointing and ineffective

I have a confession to make. I have attended meetings of the Students’ Representative Council for fun. In fact, I do this so often that for my 21st birthday a friend made me an SRC-style place card with my name and position on it. Yet even I can’t find anything to like about last week’s...

Read more →
  • Marking boycott over pensions dispute will start in November

Marking boycott over pensions dispute will start in November

Academics at the University of St Andrews will participate in a marking boycott over a pensions row. The boycott will begin on 6 November and will only end when the demands of the University and College Union (UCU) are met. The boycott will stop students being set coursework or receiving formal marks...

Read more →