St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Brexit: put yourself in my shoes, it won’t cost you much after the referendum.

Brexit: put yourself in my shoes, it won’t cost you much after the referendum.

Last Thursday, I was sat calmly at my local Gail’s Bakery in Wimbledon, contemplating the thunderous downpour. I was mostly waiting for it to stop because I’ve had my shitty Converse for 8 years now (I hoard) and the bottom of my right shoe has a slit in it which water seeps through . Little by...

Read more →
  • Over and out: another ignominious English departure

Over and out: another ignominious English departure

Roy Hodgson, the now ex-manager of the England squad. Ahead of Monday’s game with Iceland, I was thinking of writing an article recapping a fairly entertaining round of 16 (aside from whatever Croatia vs Portugal was). I had assumed that England’s performances would pick up and that they would have...

Read more →
  • Calls for Sir Clement Freud scholarship to be renamed over sexual assault allegations

Calls for Sir Clement Freud scholarship to be renamed over sexual assault allegations

A woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted by former politician and St Andrews rector Clement Freud has called for the University scholarship associated with him to be renamed. Rosemary Rimmer-Clay, now 62, was allegedly attacked by Freud when she was 19 and a student at the University of Dundee, where...

Read more →
  • Student wealth & waste: whatever happened to abject poverty?

Student wealth & waste: whatever happened to abject poverty?

Photo: GETTY People used to ask me what I would have if I were filthy rich. Looking back, the answer should have been gout. Already I consume an unhealthy amount of fine wine and chateaubriand and, despite the abundant evidence that red meat consumption causes the ice caps to melt and that excessive...

Read more →
  • Graduation Ball: a fitting finale?

Graduation Ball: a fitting finale?

Photo: Lightbox Creative Graduation Ball undoubtedly got off to a frustrating and deeply disappointing start. Less than 24 hours before it began it was announced the hotly anticipated headline act, Sean Kingston, had pulled out due to a head injury sustained on 12 June. Refunds were offered by the Union...

Read more →