St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• St Andrews Conservative society disafilliates from Students’ Association

St Andrews Conservative society disafilliates from Students’ Association

The society committee that was elected at the AGM in question / Photo: Michael Green The St Andrews Conservative Society has announced it will disaffiliate from the University of St Andrews Students’ Association. The decision was made in response to the Association authorising the cash office to sell...

Read more →
  • Locked in: Art in progress

Locked in: Art in progress

The vast number of St Andrews societies allows students to conjoin their various hobbies to further their creativity.  A prime example of this collaboration amongst the artists of St Andrews, is Art Soc’s biannual Creative Lock-In. This took place on the Friday of Freshers’ Week at the Barron...

Read more →
  • Top ten games to buy for under £10: part one

Top ten games to buy for under £10: part one

Though writing an article which centres on thriftiness and the good bargain may at first seem a little pointless in somewhere like St Andrews, where your next-door neighbour owns three yachts and daddy only bought you a Lamborghini for your 21st, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that folks here...

Read more →
  • St Andrews makes it four in a row

St Andrews makes it four in a row

Photo Credit: Scottish Rugby Since its resumption in 2011, the spectacle of the Scottish Varsity has only grown. Yesterday’s clash between St Andrews and Edinburgh was the second held at Murrayfield, the home of Scottish Rugby, and was bigger and better than the year prior. This year saw the fixture...

Read more →
  • St Andrews makes victorious debut in National League

St Andrews makes victorious debut in National League

Photo: St Andrews Women’s Basketball Team The St Andrews Women’s Basketball team made a successful National League debut on Sunday 18 September by edging out local rivals Edinburgh 45-44 at the University Sports Centre. The team have come along so well under Callum Knox, the coach, and topped...

Read more →