St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2016: St Andrews edition

Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2016: St Andrews edition

Photo: Shakespeare Syndrome As your newsfeeds have surely informed you, the 2016 Edinburgh Festival Fringe will soon be unleashing a host of actors, singers, dancers, comedians, and countless other performers into the streets of Scotland’s capital. Having showcased the UK’s finest talent...

Read more →
  • Taylor Swift versus The Rest of the World: Is all this bad blood really necessary?

Taylor Swift versus The Rest of the World: Is all this bad blood really necessary?

Take yourself back to the 14th of February this year – the day Kanye West released his new album, The Life of Pablo, which included the song Famous and the lyrics, “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex/ Why? I made that b*tch famous.” An online frenzy ensued over the controversial...

Read more →
  • Good luck shaking this one off, Tay Tay

Good luck shaking this one off, Tay Tay

April 2016: International superstar Taylor Swift gives Vogue a tour of her Los Angeles mansion. “What do you think is the most important life lesson for someone to learn?” inquires the reporter. Swift replies sagely that “karma is real.”  Three months later, as a decade’s worth of...

Read more →
  • Roll the Dyce: why Allardyce is perfect for England

Roll the Dyce: why Allardyce is perfect for England

Sam Allardyce At 3:45 yesterday afternoon, Sam Allardyce was appointed as the new England manager on a two-year deal. His brief is simple: pick up an England team fresh off their round of 16 elimination by Iceland in the recent European Championship and restore public faith in the team that is seen by...

Read more →
  • Spirited summer trends

Spirited summer trends

As the summer heat rises, summer style flourishes. Three distinct warm weather trends absolutely scream holiday. Flora and fauna prints, reminiscent of radiant, tropical islands and lush forests, bring energy to the season. Such prints feature brilliantly coloured dragon fruit and calming hues of melon....

Read more →