St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Was Rio 2016 really worth it?

Was Rio 2016 really worth it?

After a Closing Ceremony that most would have slept through and few watched, the 2016 Olympic Games are over. There were times in the preceding years when some even doubted whether the Games would procced for the first time ever in South America; unfinished stadiums, dubiously coloured diving pools,...

Read more →
  • Rio 2016 brings Team GB’s finest hour

Rio 2016 brings Team GB’s finest hour

So that’s it. As the sun went down in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday 21 August, the games of the XXXI Olympiad drew to a close. The Games were the first to be held in South America and faced the onerous task of following the organisational precision of London 2012. Whilst the Brazilians were always going...

Read more →
  • Debris litters shores of East Sands, visitors warned to avoid water

Debris litters shores of East Sands, visitors warned to avoid water

East Sands is officially closed for business: Visitors have been told to avoid the waters of the local beach after its shores were covered by between 40 and 50 piles of silt. The debris, which according to Fife Today was deposited by a contractor this past weekend, came from Kinness Burn and St Andrews...

Read more →
  • Signed, sealed, delivered: why we should all start writing letters again

Signed, sealed, delivered: why we should all start writing letters again

Richard Croft – Wikimedia Commons As if the summer holidays hadn’t been boring enough, my mother recently asked me to go through some of the relics that had been left to gather dust in the loft since long before my birth. Yet another show-stopping day of the summer holidays, I thought. This exercise,...

Read more →
  • Fisher & Donaldson failed to pay minimum wage, says government report

Fisher & Donaldson failed to pay minimum wage, says government report

Local bakery Fisher and Donaldson has been reprimanded for failing to pay minimum wage to several employees. The business was highlighted along with 198 other firms across the UK as part of the government’s new “name and shame” scheme. The Fife company was found to have owed £574.32 to...

Read more →