St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Gaudie 2016: the Kate Kennedy Club lights the way to May Dip

Gaudie 2016: the Kate Kennedy Club lights the way to May Dip

Photo: Tilted Frame Photography As familiar a name to St Andrews as Patrick Hamilton, John Honey is immortalised in the form of a stained glass window in St Salvator’s Chapel, the prestigious John Honey Award, and the Gaudie. Held each year on the final evening of April, the Gaudie deviates from...

Read more →
  • The anorexia paradox

The anorexia paradox

Anorexia nervosa is defined by Merriam-Webster’s dictionary as “a serious physical and emotional illness in which an abnormal fear of being fat leads to very poor eating habits and dangerous weight loss.” When you type the term “anorexia” into Google, you are faced with...

Read more →
  • Battle of the Bands: bringing live music to St Andrews

Battle of the Bands: bringing live music to St Andrews

On the night of May Dip, the best house parties don’t begin until 2am. With this in mind, the Union will be offering a pre-party in the form of Battle of the Bands, the first iteration of what is anticipated to become a yearly event. Billed as the largest live music event in St Andrews, the Battle...

Read more →
  • Has the Bubble burst?

Has the Bubble burst?

Photo: The Saint The spread of media has been seen by some to have destroyed geographical boundaries, meaning that we are never disconnected from what is happening around us. The ready availability of electronic devices in our society means that we have instant access to scenes from all over the world,...

Read more →
  • University to introduce “Independent Learning Week” in Semester one

University to introduce “Independent Learning Week” in Semester one

The University’s Academic Council has formally approved plans to introduce an “Independent Learning Week” in Week Six of Semester One. There will be no classes or deadlines scheduled for during this week. The decision follows years of debate and discussion after the University removed the previous...

Read more →