St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at:

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Equus – A preview of the abnormal and a glimpse of the mundane

Equus – A preview of the abnormal and a glimpse of the mundane

As director Alexander Gillespie states, many will know Peter Shaffer’s Equus as one of three things: “the play with Daniel Radcliffe, the play where Daniel Radcliffe gets naked, or the play where someone f*cks a horse”, of which only the former two points are true. In each case, however, the general...

Read more →
  • The Kate Kennedy Opening Ball: a modern twist to the traditional ball

The Kate Kennedy Opening Ball: a modern twist to the traditional ball

Photo: Lorelei Pfeffer Despite the recent backlash against Opening Ball, with many noting its lack of originality in the past, a surprisingly large number of people attended Saturday’s event. For hours the ball was bustling. It had a modern and interactive layout: the lawn had an unspoken split...

Read more →
  • The Waste Land reviewed

The Waste Land reviewed

To stage a rehearsed reading of T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land is incredibly ambitious: the poem builds on the entire literary canon preceding its composition and is perhaps the most important of the 20th century. I do not exaggerate in saying that my entire perception of literature was changed...

Read more →
  • The Waste Land: an interview with the director

The Waste Land: an interview with the director

The Waste Land is a long poem by modernist T. S. Eliot, rendered into a rehearsed reading by the team from Mermaids Performing Arts Fund. Director Joanna Bowman answered The Saint‘s questions and gave us a few hints ahead of the weekend’s performances. The Saint: First could you tell us a...

Read more →
  • Vandalism puts town-gown relations under spotlight

Vandalism puts town-gown relations under spotlight

A local resident has accused students of vandalisng his car, putting town-gown relations under strain. A former student of the University himself, Reverend Doctor John Cameron hit out at the University after students jumped on the bonnet of his car in the early hours of Wednesday last week, causing a...

Read more →