St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Association report backs reform of SRC

Association report backs reform of SRC

A report commissioned by the Students’ Association has supported reform of the Students’ Representative Council (SRC), suggesting that it be enlarged and restructured to give more power to its subcommittees. Reform of the SRC, which acts like a student parliament to debate and pass Association...

Read more →
  • Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Wolf Whistle review

Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Wolf Whistle review

Wolf Whistle Playwright: Joanna Alpern **** Wolf Whistle, written by Joanna Alpern, revolves around three women: Becca (Cate Kelly) a sassy schoolgirl obsessed with her sexuality, Clare (Laura Ferguson) a motherly yet childless bus driver, and Amanda (Coco Claxton), an uptight wannabe medic who devotes...

Read more →
  • How to avoid the St Andrews style cliches

How to avoid the St Andrews style cliches

The “St Andrews style”? Photo: Anna McAlpine Congratulations: you’ve made it into St Andrews! With Freshers’ Week approaching, if you’re anything like I was then you may be wondering what on earth you should be packing to keep you stylish in the tiny coastal town that is St...

Read more →
  • Fairmont St Andrews sold to American property fund

Fairmont St Andrews sold to American property fund

After two months on the market, the Fairmont St Andrews Hotel and Golf Resort has been sold for £32.4 million. Despite experiencing significant losses over recent years, the luxury 209-bed hotel attracted the attention of many international investors, according to previous owners CBRE Hotels. Kennedy...

Read more →
  • Freshers’ Week 2014: STARFIELDS

Freshers’ Week 2014: STARFIELDS

When? Saturday 13 September Where? Lower College Lawn Price? £35 Likely the most anticipated event of Freshers’ Week, St Andrews Charity Fashion Show (aka FS) has announced plans to host its launch party, STARFIELDS, during the first week of term for a second year running. For those unfamiliar...

Read more →