St Andrews thrives in UK top five

May 22, 2012 3:23 pm 0 comments

The University of St Andrews has dropped one place from last year in the Guardian’s UK university rankings, although it retains its top five place and remains the top institution in Scotland.

The Guardian University Guide 2013, published today, places St Andrews behind Cambridge (1st), Oxford (2nd) and the London School of Economics (3rd).

St Andrews is also the only Scottish university to make the top ten of the guide, which reviews 120 institutions across the UK and is based on areas such as spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects, grade requirements and how happy final-year students are with their courses, based on the annual National Student Survey

In the subject rankings, St Andrews’ Theology and Religious Studies places top in the UK, with Computer Science and IT, Mathematics and Politics ranked second.

Other high-performing departments include History, History of Art and Physics (3rd), Chemistry, Classics and Philosophy (4th) and Anthropology, Business and Management Studies, Earth and Marine Science and English (5th).

The University commented on the rankings: “Even although we have been leapfrogged this year by LSE, St Andrews’ overall scores in the Guide have increased.

“To have improved our performance and maintained our position as a Scottish university among the top 5 in the UK in the face of increased competition is a great compliment to the skills and commitment of all who work and study here.”

You can view the full guide at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• FS 2016: “Far more than your average night out”

FS 2016: “Far more than your average night out”

Photo: Paloma Fernandez This Saturday evening, thousands of students will converge on Lower College Lawn for one of the most anticipated events of the year. In its 24th cycle, the St Andrews Charity Fashion Show has promised a spectacular array of goodies and performances, with unparalleled gift bags...

Read more →
  • dRAG Walk 2016: “A host of talent unlike any other”

dRAG Walk 2016: “A host of talent unlike any other”

On the penultimate night of RAG Week, Club 601 opened its doors to a host of talent unlike any other. Led by the larger-than-life Rujazzle, a parade of drag queens dominated the stage as they competed for the coveted title of Fife’s Drag Superstar, most recently won by this year’s judge Sue Phyllis....

Read more →
  • Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Review: RAG Week A Capella Sofa Sessions

Sandy’s Bar last Tuesday evening was a platform for the A Cappella realm of the St Andrew’s scene. Over the past week, RAG has given host to many a charitable event, with this being no different. The A Cappella Society’s ‘Sofa Sessions’ sought to provide a fun and enjoyable way of raising money...

Read more →
  • RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

RAG Week 2016: St Andrews Got Talent

St Andrews Got Talent kicked off with a pleasant surprise from one of the event’s sponsors, Barefoot Wines, having shown up with every student’s dream: a variety of free alcohol on offer. After being ushered to our seats, it was difficult not to be somewhat envious of the front tables and their...

Read more →
  • Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Global Investment Group: Studio 54’s revival

Studio 54, as a name synonymous with all the glitter and glamour of the late seventies, raised expectations with promises of Dionysian glory and rich excess. True to form, the GIG delivered on these promises with a night worthy of the legend it sought to emulate. Although placed on a Thursday night...

Read more →