For Pete’s Sake: Men’s Cricket Records Double Victories

0
5

St Andrews Men’s Firsts (57-1) beat Aberdeen Men’s Firsts (53 a/o) by nine wickets.

St Andrews Men’s Seconds (129-0) beat Glasgow Caledonian Men’s Firsts (127 a/o) by ten wickets.

This Wednesday saw the Men’s Cricket Club get into the swing of their BUCS season with a vengeance. Both the first and second teams recorded storming victories against Aberdeen 1sts and Glasgow Caledonian 1sts respectively.

In the home match the 1st team fielded first and were quickly on top. Cricket club stalwart Pete Greene took five wickets and new post-graduate Rafnas Ak chipped in with three. Aberdeen were all out for a mere 53.

Thomas Beattie and Stephen Ditchfield ensured there were no wobbles in chasing the small target and, although Ditchfield was removed LBW, the Saints cantered home to win by nine wickets.

The 2nd team went one better away to Glasgow Caledonian as they won by ten wickets. Captain Alex Dry won the toss and inserted Glasgow on a pitch that promised to harden up as the day went on.

Although the high extra count suggested early season stiffness was still affecting many of the St Andrews bowlers, Glasgow never really got going and crumbled to 127 all out. Pete O’Boyle and Harish Kulandaivelu grabbed three wickets each and every other bowler used chipped in with one.

James Mcadam-Stacey and Matt Cull proceeded to make short work of the low target on the rapidly hardening pitch. While Mcadam-Stacey played the perfect grafting innings to blunt the Glasgow bowlers (scoring 21 not out), Cull took the attack to the home team with a marvellous innings of 68 not out. Extras made a significant contribution to the innings, totalling 40 by the end.

After the disappointment of the rainy start to the season and a couple of rather limp defeats for both the first and second teams, Wednesday’s games were the perfect way to breathe life into the university’s cricket campaign.

The third team (who already have a victory against the University Staff team under their belt) will hope to get in on the act this Friday when they take on Glasgow Strathclyde 1sts at home.