SRC calls referendum to rejoin NUS

2

The St Andrews University Students Representative Council (SRC) passed a motion last night, calling for a referendum to be held on St Andrews rejoining the National Union of Students (NUS). The referendum, which will take place on 2 and 3 May and coincide with internal elections for class presidents, will be the first time a referendum on St Andrews’ membership of NUS has been open to a campus wide vote in eleven years.

St Andrews ended its affiliation with NUS in 1975, and remains one of the only six disaffiliated students unions, a list which includes the universities of Glasgow and Dundee and Imperial College London.

The NUS membership body extends to 600 students’ unions which accounts for more than 95% of unions throughout the UK, including the universities of Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Aberdeen in recent years.

Patrick O’Hare, President of the Students’ Association said: “I’m delighted that the SRC has voted unanimously to give students the chance to have their say over membership of the National Union of Students (NUS). Things have changed dramatically since St Andrews decided to disaffiliate over 30 years ago, and since the last referendum was held over 10 years ago.

“This has been an important year for national student politics, from RUK fees to the Governance Review, from the post-16Education Paper to proposed UCAS reforms. I’ve worked closely with the NUS this year and look forward to playing an active role in the referendum.”

An amendment to the motion was made calling for a referendum on NUS membership to be held every three years.

1. Disaster already happening. St Andrews is isolated, not represented in the largest and most powerful student org by a bunch at the will of a select few of wanna-be Tory MPs. Vote Rationality